Fire Emblem is having an identity crisis.

Zachmac

332 members have voted

1. 1. Are you fine with the direction Awakening and Fates have been taking Fire Emblem in?

• I love shipping anime characters together!
    • You're not meant to be a dating simulator, Fire Emblem. Stop trying to be one.
    • I don't care as long as the gameplay is good.
    • These answers are worse than Azura's HP growths. My opinion is totally different then any of these!
  2. 2. Are you fine with gender exclusive classes and weapons?

• Genderlocks are unnecessary. Why shouldn't a man ride a pegasus?
    • Genderlocks are actually a little sexist at times. Looking at you, Bride class.
    • Fire Emblem has always had gender exlusive classes. I don't see the problem.
    • Removing the gender locks on several classes and then adding genderlocked weapons and DLC classes is just dumb.
    • These answers are worse than a promoted Asama's personal skill. My opinion is totally different then any of these!

I loved awakening, but i much prefer retro fire emblem. Especially sacred stones and mystery of the emblem

I even intentionally avoid s ranking characters in gates because I was fine with it in awakening but having it in another game is just wrong. Also I don't like the waifu community that has grown (probably because it's too Japanese for me)(but don't get confused, I don't hate anyone I just don't like how big the s rank community has gotten)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh? I'm pretty darn sure those who complain about Camilla also complain about skinship on a near equal level. Camilla is just easier to target because everybody wants to complain about the clothes women wear in video games.

Their logic is:

Skinship is optional. If you don't like it you can burn My Room down and have a bbq with the wood you got out of it (not really).

Camilla's outfit is not optional. It's shoved in your face whether you like it or not.

I currently don't have a proper opinion on the subject so I won't say anything.

Although let me say, if people want to discuss, criticize and rate optional content, that is their choice and they're free to do so without being told "You can avoid it therefore is good". I can avoid Awakening' story, and I'm glad for it, but should I rate the game higher because that content is optional? Well then, Donnel is optional, why do I have to bitch about him? Etc etc.

The game gives the opportunity to pet units and nobody bats an eye

Then Camilla is having a suggesting video and everyone is losing his mind.

What? Skinship discussion is pretty much soft-banned here because of the massive arguments over it. Not quite sure where you were during then.

Read the first page. ugh, hate seeing comments dismissing people's issues with the series as "salty veterans".

I've not even been a fan of FE that long, but I really like how real and well done the characters in the older games were. In so much Japanese media especially female characters feel like they're just...made for fanservice. The older FEs just didn't do that, everyone felt equal. Yes there were probably bits of fanservice but nothing at all that bothered me. Then we get to Awakening, every character feels watered down to a few traits, yes some older characters are too but they still felt real, later characters feel like stretched out fictional characters as opposed to real people. The first gen females feel like waifus for a lot of the part, there to make the player pick who they want to S rank the most. Some males are done that way too, Chrom is nice for a lot of the part but I can see how he's very fanservicey and that bothers me too. It just feels we took a step back really. Yes I know other JRPGs are much worse in the fanservice aspect, no it does not forgive FE for doing it, and yes it bothers me in the other games too.

The S ranks feel so terribly done in general. They're random and badly timed and just make light of the whole game. Yes some happy moments will occur but I never really felt like any danger was happening in Awakening because everything was so...silly at times. Endgame pairings like the GBA games were nice, although not needed. I'm happy enough with my imagination to keep my ships afloat.

So not, not really happy with where the series is going. Shipping is fine in fandoms but I don't like it being the point of the game.

As for genderlocked classes, a few of the options were what I thought. I like it in a way, I like having differences between units, but on the other hand I am also glad a bit that some are removed. Some were sexist, like the bride class, where as guys got the awesome gread fighter. They could've given the girls a cool other kind of fighter that was more awesome than that (also why ruin Eirika, why??). Agree with the point that genderlocked DLC is stupid since the game got rid of genderlocked classes. Part of me still doesn't mind genderlocked classes just because they're so traditional to FE, so I'm rather conflicted on whether I want to keep them or not.

As for genderlocked classes, a few of the options were what I thought. I like it in a way, I like having differences between units, but on the other hand I am also glad a bit that some are removed. Some were sexist, like the bride class, where as guys got the awesome gread fighter. They could've given the girls a cool other kind of fighter that was more awesome than that (also why ruin Eirika, why??). Agree with the point that genderlocked DLC is stupid since the game got rid of genderlocked classes. Part of me still doesn't mind genderlocked classes just because they're so traditional to FE, so I'm rather conflicted on whether I want to keep them or not.

Genderlocked classes should depend on the lore. In FEIF, it's normal for women and men to be pegasus knights and fighter, but in some other continent or time period (or universe), only women could be pegasus knights and only men could be fighters. There are still genderlocked classes even now, though, as few as they are. Mountain Priest (lance and staff), War Priestess (bow and staff), Ballistician, and Witch. Amiibo classes don't count.

• 3 months later...

I personally think that Fire Emblem Fates has potential. Coming after the success Awakening was, it meant that it had a lot to live up to and the some hit and miss aspects of the game were to be expected. For me the children could have been implemented better into the game. As a game the story is really solid and I have been following it since the Japanese release getting completely spoiled. I have been following the series as a whole since blazing sword, but i don't consider myself a veteran player. I watched this series grow in the west and for me there was some things missing even back then. I think that the way the support system works now is a great addition and the shipping aspect of it lets you get attached to characters. I always felt after finishing games that i wanted more out of the characters themselves. The story as a whole stood great, but there was no clear interaction much more than a few sentences here and there. I can understand why people think that the game has turned into a dating simulator "waifu emblem", but there is a lot of fun to be had going through what all the supports have to offer. You get to see the silliness of the characters and some times the normalcy they hide. The series is going through a transitional period and from a dying series to one with a much larger fan-base than ever before and all that happened with the release of one game. Sure everyone can find something wrong and something they feel that could have been done better, but as a community instead of focusing on what we don't like and how that opinion divides us, we should focus on what we did like. Ensuring that in some way maybe the things we loved about Fire Emblem from before and the things we love now that it's changing can all come together in games to come in a more balanced end result.

I actually like the marriages. I always regretted that Seth would marry Eirika, Tana and Ephraim, and I would never see the little squirt (or get to see super omega Seth JR the Great Lord). Been playing since FE8. Only real complaint is they need extra females when males determine the offspring (and Vice Versa) so that Kamui/MU can marry who he wants and still have all the children's.