Fire Emblem is having an identity crisis.

Zachmac

332 members have voted

1. 1. Are you fine with the direction Awakening and Fates have been taking Fire Emblem in?

• I love shipping anime characters together!
    • You're not meant to be a dating simulator, Fire Emblem. Stop trying to be one.
    • I don't care as long as the gameplay is good.
    • These answers are worse than Azura's HP growths. My opinion is totally different then any of these!
  2. 2. Are you fine with gender exclusive classes and weapons?

• Genderlocks are unnecessary. Why shouldn't a man ride a pegasus?
    • Genderlocks are actually a little sexist at times. Looking at you, Bride class.
    • Fire Emblem has always had gender exlusive classes. I don't see the problem.
    • Removing the gender locks on several classes and then adding genderlocked weapons and DLC classes is just dumb.
    • These answers are worse than a promoted Asama's personal skill. My opinion is totally different then any of these!

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you hurt me this way

why do you remind me this game exists

DMC1... my first video game...

Well, you aren't wrong. So I tried making the most unattractive Kamui I could.

Go798L6.png

lemme stroke ur face

"I've seen some shit" Kamui would like to run his fingers through your hair.

canvas_zpsf5eimokv.png

How are you getting those hi-res Kamui portraits?

10/10

No matter what it is, it is somebody's fetish. No exceptions.

i fucking regret everything

canvas_zpsf5eimokv.png

How are you getting those hi-res Kamui portraits?

Ahhh, it was a Fire Emblem Portrait generator.

https://sf.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/3hsn7f/release_fire_emblem_if_text_simulator_v11/

And also

canvas_zpsf5eimokv.png

wmSdFx5.png

if i'm the reason why this topic is locked

A) i'm sorry

B) worth it

And also

wmSdFx5.png

A) i'm sorry

B) worth it

I'll admit, while it did make us deviate, I think it was pretty funny.
Edited by Rxmonste

To bring this back to the main topic at least half way, I'll say this on the genderlocks:

Fuck the Bride class. At least the Witch class doesn't feel as... "sexist" as a Bride class. Please don't pull stuff like that again IS.

Also ^ yes. i need it. Takumi's already Eren. Rinkah's already Mikasa. We can do this. We can make the miracle happen.

Edited by Ebony

To bring this back to the main topic at least half way, I'll say this on the genderlocks:

Fuck the Bride class. At least the Witch class doesn't feel as... "sexist" as a Bride class. Please don't pull stuff like that again IS.

Yeah, the Bride Class was a stupid idea. Especially considering that males got 'Swordmaster on steroids' for their exclusive. Still, it never stopped being funny for me to reclass Morgan into bride and have her ask 'do I look like my father in this'.

The bride and dread fighter classes in Awakening were silly. I'm not sure if "sexist" is the word I'd use, but it certainly has unfortunate implications. Doubly so since they didn't use a "groom" class and a female version of dread fighter. There was no excuse for dread fighter being only for men. Bride should've worked like maid and butler does in Fates, where the male and female versions of the class are called different things (bride and groom), but functionally the same and with appropriate clothing.

Edited by Sunwoo

Yeah, the Bride Class was a stupid idea. Especially considering that males got 'Swordmaster on steroids' for their exclusive. Still, it never stopped being funny for me to reclass Morgan into bride and have her ask 'do I look like my father in this'.

I also thought it was funny for manakete. "Do I look like my father in this?" ... I certainly hope not Morgan or we need a long talk about your pappy.

The bride and dread fighter classes in Awakening were silly. I'm not sure if "sexist" is the word I'd use, but it certainly has unfortunate implications. Doubly so since they didn't use a "groom" class and a female version of dread fighter. There was no excuse for dread fighter being only for men. Bride should've worked like maid and butler does in Fates, where the male and female versions of the class are called different things (bride and groom), but functionally the same and with appropriate clothing.

Exactly! It would have been cute too.

Now I can't stop picturing all my Awakening OTP's paired up and ready to fight Grima in wedding dresses and tuxedos. I am okay with this.

Edited by Phillius

the guy who said 'sexist content does not a sexist game make' hit it on the head, it's a matter of context and whether the issue is treated respectfully and so on. 'rape' is a scary word but as long as you're not swinging it around just to make people duck, it has a place in storytelling.

and yeah earlier FE games used sexual violence as a cheap and easy way to create drama, but it's something many writers do when they're just starting out. the series is definitely stronger in that respect.

is the pandering and waifu-ism comparable to that as an issue? I don't think so. I've only played awakening but for every nowi there's a sully, and for every scene sumia trips over something she gets a scene showing her more admirable traits. there's also content aimed at pandering to the female audience, with characters like yarne and chrom. stuff like the bride class seems like harmless fun to me, but it does seem like a massive oversight to have such disparity between the dlc classes.

@non-consentual face rubbing stuff: this is interesting, not sure what it says about the whole thing actually

@incest stuff: I have honestly never understood this taboo, but apparently there are people here who are really passionate about it! can anyone explain their feelings on this for a little perspective?

Awakening was my favorite game in the series but I prefer fire emblem returned to its roots while still keeping some innovations awakening and fates brought to the table. The new games are great but they are too plagued in fan service it's hard for older fans to get a taste for them.

First sentence: Fine.

Second sentence: You don't speak for me, or any other fans of Fire Emblem.

That critique of the second sentence applies to everyone in here. If you want to express your opinion, feel free to copy the style of the dude above me.

I do wish they would have made the Grandmaster class both male and female. Some of us had female Robins.

And also

wmSdFx5.png

A) i'm sorry

B) worth it

regrets_zpsj7urdzl5.png

Are we to deny a veteran's coping method!?

I realise I'm jumping back two pages for this but WRT the anti-Kaga points, linking this extract of an interview seems prudent.

Whatever you want to make of the end result, you can't deny there's a completely different motive for applying "problematic" scenarios in titles like FE4 as there is in FE14. Spoiler, the latter wants people to be entertained by those things rather than provoked.

Edited by Irysa

*claps hands and rubs them together* Hooo boy, here we go.

With regards to Fates narrative, do I think it could do better? Sure. It's at least better than Awakenings so that's a baby step in the right direction.

The Stork has more plot relevance than the Fates kids do. I'm fine with the next generation just don't pop out of nowhere and shout surprise.

Does Fire Emblem have an identity crisis... I wouldn't go that far. IS is just sticking with what works, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I don't blame them for that either considering the fact that if you all recall pre Awakenings sales, Fire Emblem was in a bit of a free fall what with Shadow Dragon selling poorly and New Mystery being Japan exclusive outside of emulating it. Awakening was to be the last in the series. Nobody thought it would sell so well so I think that after such a commercial success after a few years of less than desirable sales, IS decided to mix it up and try something new. Fates tried to mesh together old and new and you get an ambitious game trying to make everyone happy and when it all comes right down to it, be it story or gameplay, I think we all have our likes and dislikes about it but it's still, at its core, an enjoyable experience no matter how you slice it.

My opinion on "Waifu Emblem". I don't mind it. I'm all for personal opinions but once you start stating your fan fic as fact, you bet your Faceless behind I'm gonna proc Curse Reflection.

Gender locking classes and weapons was ok but now I don't really see the need to anymore what with hardware limitations being far better than they once were. Just don't alienate people by giving one gender a really cool class and the other marriage as a literal class. C'mon devs.

1°) I have no issue with pairing characters between themselves, in the gba games I would even take a hundred turn on a single map just to pair two characters together. But with the self-insert some options feels forced and unnatural (looking at you Tiki).

2°) I loved the concept of gender-lock... until IS came up with the unnecessary stupid and sexist bride class.

Taking a step back, I think my biggest issue with the new fire emblem, is the children characters that, in my opinion, have no reason to exist. (Before anyone point out that my favorite game had a second generation, I have two words: Barhara massacre)

Waifus are not a bad thing, to an extent i enjoy the mechanic, also the children being customizable is a nice feature, but this time i think they added too many characters IMO, particularly children, the problem is also the unecessary sexualization of some characters, even in awakening it was not that forced, especially weapons that leave you naked just for the sake of having more fanservice.

But even all of this would not be of my concern as along as they make a good game, the gameplay looks nice, but even if they implemented PvP they still did not learn that making too broken skills and weapons is not good for it, so in the end, if they did not make Forging stupidly broken i would be satissfied.

I can understand that waifus and sexualization are a part of the new games, and to an extent as said previously, i can enjoy it, the big problem is when it feels that they use 70% of the time to make the game to do this, gameplay definetely is an improvement, and online at leasts exists,story is not as garbage, but is obvious that they could have done it better if they were not that focused on fanservice.

I really couldn't stand the Bride class. Eirika's DLC art was absolute shit and I'm pretty sure it was drawn by a hentai artist.

Skinship takes having a virtual girlfriend far, far too seriously and some of the quotes sound like they're from a 12 year old's smutty FE fan fiction.

I really couldn't stand the Bride class. Eirika's DLC art was absolute shit and I'm pretty sure it was drawn by a hentai artist.

Skinship takes having a virtual girlfriend far, far too seriously and some of the quotes sound like they're from a 12 year old's smutty FE fan fiction.

No, Eirika was drawn by Daisuke Izuka who has worked on the series since the GBA era. Even today he's still involved with the franchise.

Its a huge poofy dress that covers everything just what is hentai about that?? The dark mage/sorcerer outfits sure but not huge western style wedding gown.

Edited by iavasechui