What classes should I make the three Villagers I get at the beginning of the game?

fengaridotdll

Cliff works really well as a Mage because of how many spells he learns leveling up and how he does so ahead of the other two, and as for Robin and Gray, I find making at least one of them a merc because of the high base speed and decent strength is a good idea- plus you get more swords to use early on than the other weapon types(I think.) Really the only one that I've seen people agree on is that Cliff should be a mage because he seems optimized for it while the other two can work in pretty much any class.

Edited by Ambling Falchion

I make Cliff a mage because he gets the most spells, Grey a merc because he gets the most from the speed boost, and Robin an archer in order to make use of the Steel Bow.

I haven't played Gaiden in quite a while, but from what I remember...

I made Grey a mercenary because the class' base speed offsets his poor speed growth, and I made Cliff a mage because he learns a fair number of spells. I made Robin an archer, but he's not a very good character.

I make Cliff a mage because he gets the most spells, Grey a merc because he gets the most from the speed boost, and Robin an archer in order to make use of the Steel Bow.

I haven't played Gaiden in quite a while, but from what I remember...

I made Grey a mercenary because the class' base speed offsets his poor speed growth, and I made Cliff a mage because he learns a fair number of spells. I made Robin an archer, but he's not a very good character.

Same here.

Yeah, Cliff as a mage is pretty much agreed upon by everyone since he learns a ridiculous amount of spells, especially considering he starts in a non-magic class. Plus, having someone to hit resistance instead of defence (when the latter is usually higher than the former), especially near the start of the game is really ideal.

Grey as a mercenary supplements him really well due to all his stats except for speed being alright to good. Since mercenaries have a high base speed, his speed will be boosted to good levels after promotion, which offsets his low speed growth.

As for Robin, most people stick with Archer since his overall low stats won't hinder him too much as an archer since he can deal damage while staying out of range (yeah, mages can do that too, but Robin has a very bad spell pool). I personally made Robin a Cavalier since Clerbe the Cavalier doesn't really have a partner Cain and Abel or Luke and Rody style, so I made Robin the Cavalier since I felt weird having just one Cavalier.

Mercenary for the infinite class loop.

For reference, mercenary eventually promotes into a class that promotes into villager, allowing theoretically infinite levels.