how do they explain children characters fighting in the army?

Ansem

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you marry, they say you have a kid, but since it's dangerous for the kids to be there in a time of war (No shit guys, keep it in your pants) they are forced to send them to pocket dimensions within the dragon's gate. After that, it's kinda forgotten.

It's basically how Awakening is without the time travel. Instead it's a time skip.

The children get dumped in another dimension so that they all can get to a fighting age without a timeskip.

i still dont get it =/

are they dumped into another dimension and then they come back?

Don't see how it's shitty when time travel plays a major role in the plot. If that was their excuse in like, any other game, then yeah, it'd be silly

it seems too convenient that most all females had children around the same age and they all came back to the past with lucina

Gosh, aren't you a slowpoke? This has been discussed a lot already.

The way it works in Fates is that all the characters (even if they are children themselves) all decided to get married and have children (we skip that whole "pregnancy" thing, presumably because IS thought it would be awkward to give Elise a sprite with a baby bump) immediately and at the same time. When it turns out having children in a war is actually a really bad idea (hindsight is 20/20, man!), they decide to put the children in a pocket dimension that rapidly increases their aging. The parenting is left to nameless retainers who apparently don't mind living out the rest of their lives in another dimension. And then the 2nd generation (some of which are still young children) are recruited to fight in the war!

It's... multitudes worse than Awakening.

it seems too convenient that most all females had children around the same age and they all came back to the past with lucina

It's unlikely they would all have children at the same time but it is still logically consistent with the narrative.

Also, considering the fact that the parents visit like once a month or something, which is basically every few years for the kiddos, they're either really happy or extremely pissed off at them. I don't blame them, tbh.

Edited by MidoriMage

I'm going to elaborate on/correct what Neko Knight has said, as they're leaving out or not accurate representing some of the issues…

To clarify, its not just that they're having children during the war (that would be oversimplifying it) but rather that mysterious monsters show up and attack the camp/My Castle, apparently directly and specifically targeting the baby children for whatever reason.

Given what several of the child paralogue enemies are, it might very well be forces of the Invisible Kingdom interfering and trying to kill the kids for whatever reason

So the parents hide away their children in other dimensions, "the Secluded Lands" (not sure what the translation will be, but this is one unofficial translation that I've see), so that the monsters won't be able to find them and so that the kids can grow up in peace, free from the threats of these monsters. Its basically trying to throw the monsters off track so they won't know where to look.

And, at least for the first decade or two of the kids' lives in the Secluded Lands, it seems to work quite well, as the kids do indeed manage to grow up for that time without being discovered by or attacked by the monsters.

Eventually, the monsters do find them in the end, or alternatively the kids venture forth out from the Secluded Lands back to their original world on their own. Either way, this marks an end to the safety that they had had. But they had some maybe 10-20 years of safety, in which time they were able to grow up to the point that they were able to actually fight on their own, so they weren't helpless anymore.

Putting them in the Secluded Lands was meant first and foremost for the protection of the children as a safe haven, and they worked like that for quite a long time.

The "problem" is that the rate of time's flow is very strange in the Secluded Lands relative to the main world…. as such, what is a brief time for the player characters in Fate's world ended up being 1-2 decades in the Secluded Lands, which had the effect of making many of the children teenagers or adults by the time they are recruited as characters, often with ages comparable (or older than) their parents who had stayed in the chronologically slower Fate's world.

Edited by astrophys

Sure, it introduces a bunch of plot holes, I don't deny that. Its a pretty flimsy excuse.

i was just pointing out that it isn't "hey, we had a bunch of kids during a war" that's the problem that leads to the kids going into the "time chamber" . Its "hey, there are mysterious monsters that are specifically targeting are children and trying to kill them", so the representation of the scenario in post #15 was inaccurate.

What bothers me most is how it give us an army of deadbeat parents- they don't bother to stay in these pocket dimensions with their kids to protect them, and assumably leave other people (nannies?) there to take care of them and suffer the passage of fast-forward time. In Awakening at least the parents had the excuse of being dead for not being there for their kids, here it's because they can't be bothered to fortify the hell out of My Castle or they don't want to grow old or something.

Honestly, it's just a way to justify having breeding in Fire Emblem in a way that isn't related to the plot at all.

I'm curious if Nintendo will take an FE4 remake seriously now that they are adopting children mechanics for the sake of having them. We also have the Animal Crossing/Nintendogs "My Castle" feature which could be adapted to the home castle in FE4's chapters.

What bothers me most is how it give us an army of deadbeat parents- they don't bother to stay in these pocket dimensions with their kids to protect them, and assumably leave other people (nannies?) there to take care of them and suffer the passage of fast-forward time. In Awakening at least the parents had the excuse of being dead for not being there for their kids, here it's because they can't be bothered to fortify the hell out of My Castle or they don't want to grow old or something.

That is what bothers me about the children mechanic in this game too. It makes everyone look like a bunch of deatbeat parents who don't spend time with their children like they should. All of the children as a result either end up really happy to finally see their parents again, lonely and sad about how their parents weren't there for them all the time, or they're angry which is understandable. Some of the characters aren't even very good parents and there are a few who quite honestly shouldn't have children. Honestly they should have fortified the My Castle. Even better they should have waited until the war is over.

Edited by Frelia

This what bothers me the most about the child mechanic as well, and that I'm honestly surprised that almost no one brings up about how this makes the kiddos seem kinda hypocritical, although only if you have Kamui marry them, anyway... I would hope. Like, it's only bad when it happens to you and your friends and possible sibling/cousins but not when happens to your kid? I know that it was to protect them from mysterious monsters or whatever but the parents, doesn't matter which generation, could've (and should've) just waited until the war was over to have kids.

Edited by December Knight

It not even explained why the children are magnets for monsters to attack. It's just a contrived excuse to shove them into the easy-bake oven and get more child soldiers.

Some people thought Robin marrying 2nd gen characters was creepy, but if Kamui does it, he's marrying people he's known since they were babies. Really.

It not even explained why the children are magnets for monsters to attack. It's just a contrived excuse to shove them into the easy-bake oven and get more child soldiers.

Some people thought Robin marrying 2nd gen characters was creepy, but if Kamui does it, he's marrying people he's known since they were babies. Really.

Even makes a passing mention of it in the only lesbian support with Shara. Good job, IS. Some people who wanted to romance her may be creeped out by this and, thus, lose their only same-sex option.

7ZIxDZS.gif