how do they explain children characters fighting in the army?

Ansem

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you implying that time travel isn't silly to begin with in a game like Fire Emblem?

It was only a matter of time really. I'm more surprised it took them 13 games.

Regardless, it IS part of the narrative already. If kids from the future popped up in Sacred Stones inexplicably, then yeah, it'd be pretty dumb

it seems too convenient that most all females had children around the same age and they all came back to the past with lucina

The children's ages kind of varied, but it's ambiguous as to when exactly they were spit out from the Outrealm gate. Laurent for example beat everyone there by several years.

Future Past seems to have let that detail slip

Besides, it's only eleven kids, I'm sure you can find twice as many kids around the same age in a single family

I have a feeling the kids where added late in development to please the higher ups and they hastily had to give some kind of explanation for why they could fight with their parents. At least I really really hope thats the case since a forced inclusion is better then them having thought of this completely stupid story justification from the get go. At the very least that doesn't make me think they're just that bad at writing.

If they wanted to half-ass a reason for children without butchering the story, they could have just said "These are the children (from an alternate reality) you would have had in the future after the war. They saw you struggling and came to your world to help". Pretty much the same as Awakening's time travel but it doesn't have all of the horrible, horrible implications Fate has.

I have a feeling the kids where added late in development to please the higher ups and they hastily had to give some kind of explanation for why they could fight with their parents. At least I really really hope thats the case since a forced inclusion is better then them having thought of this completely stupid story justification from the get go. At the very least that doesn't make me think they're just that bad at writing.

The whole child thing is very subtly implied to be not actually canon, and therefore the children aren't really supposed to exist (or exist yet). Never in the story is a child unit ever mentioned or introduced.

It's silly and questionable writing, but they put so little effort into it because it doesn't really need an explanation beyond "this is what his son will look and fight like, you can get him now so your marriage choices can mean something". It's a game mechanic that has been loosely framed with a brief explanation to give some context.

It's no more absurd than "Kamui visited himself in another dimension to collect berries", or

"Kamui ran into Chrom and helped him fight ninjas so he could get a magic emblem that gave people Lucina's outfit"

or

"Kamui fed steak to a candlelight until it reached staff rank A"

. Children are a feature outside of the "real story" just like DLC and online features.

I wish it was better explained, too, but it's so clear they aren't supposed to be there that it doesn't reflect or affect the quality of the story (which wasn't exactly great in the first place)

The game just gives the middle finger to this little something called the "gestation period" and children are born right away after two units get married. The kids are thrown into the hyperbolic time dimension of their choice and then you get the paralogue and recruit them at apparent ages anywhere between 13 and 21.

Honestly it's all sorts of funny, but I wonder why nobody ever (in story) asked why their children were like, "so old"

On a slightly more serious note, well..I'm not sure what to say

Realistically speaking, I guess "they just took the "take your time" aspect from other games, and just placed it here, of sorts"

And then they ran away with it

"Slippery slope" for days

It's ironic, since I usually don't tolerate much, if any time shenanigans.......and then this happens

The kids are thrown into the hyperbolic time dimension of their choice and then you get the paralogue and recruit them at apparent ages anywhere between 13 and 21.

On that note, although obviously exact ages generally aren't stated, what would be people's best guesses on the ages of the various kids?

Personal opinions.

For my own, I.....would probably slant towards the higher end of the spectrum, due to.......reasons. Possibly

And...personal "preference" you could say

Mind you, I haven't fully, like, listen to the stuff they say, the way they say it, and what not...this is just from looks....

Let me grab a list....

Kanna: 14?

Shigure: ~16-18

(Jakob's Son): ~16-18

Sophie: ~15-16

Midoriko: ~14-16

Shinonome: 16-18

Kisaragi: 14-16

Gurei: 14-16

Kinu: ~16

Hisame: ~16-18

Mitama: ~15-17

Matoi: ~16-18

(Tsukuyomi's Daughter): ~16-17

Siegbert: 16-18

Foleo: ....Okay I'm honestly not sure what to say for Foleo, I'm too...distracted by the trap

Ignis: ~16-18

Velour: 16-18

Lutz: 15-17

Ophelia: 14-16

Soleil: 14-17

Eponine: 14-17

TL;DR 14 ish to maybe 16ish for the younger ones, 16ish to 18ish for the older ones.

It's really...silly.......because it's all like a slippery slope

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

I see… I feel like the lower ranges are too low on some of them…. like Ophelia at a lower 14? That seems too low….

Matoi I had envisioned as somewhere between the upper teens (17,18, 19) to the lower 20s (20, 21)

But of course, we really don't have enough to go on…

It's true though. Very true

I could "easily" have set everyone at like, I dunno, 16/18 for minimum

It's really...not that simple....

(Having bigger pictures might have helped, somewhat...some details are clearer when viewed [Eyes, lul])

....Reminds me of a quote I heard recently

"I could deny it if I liked. I could deny anything if I liked"

It's like, it's realllyyyyy such a drag

(FE13, from what I'm reading like right now anyway, says that Lissa is 15, Chrom 19, and well uh.............I dunno)

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

Personal opinions.

For my own, I.....would probably slant towards the higher end of the spectrum, due to.......reasons. Possibly

And...personal "preference" you could say

Mind you, I haven't fully, like, listen to the stuff they say, the way they say it, and what not...this is just from looks....

Let me grab a list....

Kanna: 14?

Shigure: ~16-18

(Jakob's Son): ~16-18

Sophie: ~15-16

Midoriko: ~14-16

Shinonome: 16-18

Kisaragi: 14-16

Gurei: 14-16

Kinu: ~16

Hisame: ~16-18

Mitama: ~15-17

Matoi: ~16-18

(Tsukuyomi's Daughter): ~16-17

Siegbert: 16-18

Foleo: ....Okay I'm honestly not sure what to say for Foleo, I'm too...distracted by the trap

Ignis: ~16-18

Velour: 16-18

Lutz: 15-17

Ophelia: 14-16

Soleil: 14-17

Eponine: 14-17

TL;DR 14 ish to maybe 16ish for the younger ones, 16ish to 18ish for the older ones.

It's really...silly.......because it's all like a slippery slope

I'm not sure man, Syalla mentions being probably older than her mother so I'd say she's about 18-20, same with Shinonome. I'd give most around 16, except Midoriko and Lutz. Then again this is ~Anime ages~, for all we know Camilla is 17, Mikoto is 28 and Garon is 40 because muh target audience.

I don't really know if I have ever laughed so much from reading the posts here, as everybody takes turns holding the snarky ball.

It's like the whole thing is made for a joke. I can imagine some guys in IS went: "You know what would be funny? Having a hyper-dimensional pocket dimension. Screw all the implications". "Yeah yeah, absolutely. Let's go grab lunch already."

And the guys in NoA goes: "F*ck, what are we gonna do?"

Can't wait to see what they will do.

It's true though. Very true

I could "easily" have set everyone at like, I dunno, 16/18 for minimum

It's really...not that simple....

(Having bigger pictures might have helped, somewhat...some details are clearer when viewed [Eyes, lul])

....Reminds me of a quote I heard recently

"I could deny it if I liked. I could deny anything if I liked"

It's like, it's realllyyyyy such a drag

(FE13, from what I'm reading like right now anyway, says that Lissa is 15, Chrom 19, and well uh.............I dunno)

Yeah at the start, but right after chrom gets married there is a two year time skip which would make Chrom 21 and Lissa 17.

The whole child thing is very subtly implied to be not actually canon, and therefore the children aren't really supposed to exist (or exist yet). Never in the story is a child unit ever mentioned or introduced.

It's silly and questionable writing, but they put so little effort into it because it doesn't really need an explanation beyond "this is what his son will look and fight like, you can get him now so your marriage choices can mean something". It's a game mechanic that has been loosely framed with a brief explanation to give some context.

It's no more absurd than "Kamui visited himself in another dimension to collect berries", or

"Kamui ran into Chrom and helped him fight ninjas so he could get a magic emblem that gave people Lucina's outfit"

or

"Kamui fed steak to a candlelight until it reached staff rank A"

. Children are a feature outside of the "real story" just like DLC and online features.

I wish it was better explained, too, but it's so clear they aren't supposed to be there that it doesn't reflect or affect the quality of the story (which wasn't exactly great in the first place)

Out of all the posts in this thread, this is the one that I think comes closest to the truth.

Maybe they should just have given them the same origin story as the Bond Units, with the pair's bond breathing life into the land. Although I guess they didn't do that since it allows them to write supports about the units having childhoods, which the Bond Units presumably never had.

The game just gives the middle finger to this little something called the "gestation period" and children are born right away after two units get married. The kids are thrown into the hyperbolic time dimension of their choice and then you get the paralogue and recruit them at apparent ages anywhere between 13 and 21.

Do you remember that time Camilla's stomach grew due to the baby?

Oh right it didn't, because waifus don't get pregnant normally. They grow babies. With sparkles and rainbows and panties.

Do you remember that time Camilla's stomach grew due to the baby?

Oh right it didn't, because waifus don't get pregnant normally. They grow babies. With sparkles and rainbows and panties.

Kamui just bicycles back and forth until the man outside the My Room gives him an egg with the kid in it

Kamui just bicycles back and forth until the man outside the My Room gives him an egg with the kid in it

Along with that the royal siblings who have divine weapons have to get their egg from their them and walk/ride around with the egg until their child hatches.

Edited by Frelia

not even counting that if they bought nohr, they can't get that same sex girl on girl action.

Exactly , they should have put one bisexual female in Nohr & one bisexual male in Hoshido.

Edited by Krul