Book of Exiles -Chibis and Maps 8/28' ~planning and concepts~

ErrantDShepherd

General Thread Update:

-OP to be reworked... 6/26/16

-Polls down, thanks for the feedback! :) 6/7/16

-Feedback polls up 5/27/16

Working on an original story using the FE7 engine.

Four Lords.

All custom portraits.

Customed or reskinned Battle Sprites.

Four independent storylines that tie into one finale.

Should be fun to see how it turns out. :D

So yeah. Working on a concept called Fire Emblem: Book of Exiles.

These were the previous plans... they still apply but with some tweaks.

[spoiler=Old General Plan]Plan is to release the eventual patches in a three finalized patch format. So as three "books."

Book 1: Exile's Journey. Basically intro, a couple chapters for each Lord to give an overview of the situation and overall plot.

Book 2: Exiles' Odyssey. Main game, three Lord chapters playable in any order.

Book 3: Exiled Legacy. Finale, fourth Lord unlocked. Finale where all the Lords come together once all Lord tales complete.

The Lords/Protagonists are: Quinton. Raynah. Saelamendron. And 'Winter"...

A royal knight on patrol. A mercenary swordswoman. A wandering prince... And a mysterious mage.

All their journeys will lead them together and to their destinies as recorded in the Book of Exiles.

It will feature an original storyline, additional and newly balanced classes, and gameplay.

All portraits used will be custom-made, with several new animations and battle sprite reskins.

First beta hopefully released in a years time or so.

...and that's the basic outline at the moment. :)

-----

[spoiler=GENERAL FAQ]

What will be in the Beta/Teaser patch?

-Beta patch will include 1 chapter each for the four respective Lords, and an introductory prologue chapter to the world itself.

Where do you get your mugs, sprites, etc?

-I am a Sprite Artist more so than game designer, and have been since 2006, with a total of at least 4 years of total spriting, design and artwork experience factoring in times in which I stepped back from the hobby... So I would not claim to be the best by any means, but I feel I can do a lil bit of everything somewhat competently.

Wow! Character mug A/Battle sprite B/Animation C looks great! Can I use it in my hack or base something off of it?

-After having done spriting for so many years and feeling a desire to see my work helpful and actively being used, I would be very flattered if you wanted to utilize some of my stuff. I would ask with the mugs used, that they remain unique to this project, along with the Lord sprites. So please do not use one of my art pieces and call it something else.

That said, any of my public domain pieces like non-Lord battle and overworld sprites can be freely used if it is marked Public Domain/Open Source/Free Use. all I would ask for would be a mention/some credit and to be informed of the project/usage. I would love to see what others can come up with! :D

Same goes for edits to any of the public domain sprites of mine in this project. Please just let me know, would love to help someone else develop something great! ;)

Please note the credits for info on public and private domain artwork used in this Back, as not all works will be mine to share publically without permission of the original creator.

You suck, your sprites suck, your story sucks, your jokes suck, why do you suck so much?

-Vacuum cleaners. *rimshot* but yeah, that wasn't a question as much as an attack.

Hopefully you will be have fun with what I come up with here, if not it you have some suggestions, critique, advice, comments... Go right ahead. I am a big boy, I can handle criticism, as long as it is not turned into some form of personal attack. But I hope you enjoy this work, and would love to hear ways to improve it! :D

Cool stuff... Can I help in any way?

Sure! Any help, advice, or tweaks with gameplay, hacking, story, sprites would be very much appreciated, and I will make sure to credit you for your assistance.

-----

Anyways thanks for reading. Hope you were intrigued. Please lemme know what you think or any comments or questions you may have.

As I often say in my spriting thread thank you for any and all feedback! All comments, criticism, critiques, critical thinking, streams of consciousness and cookies are very much appreciated. ;)

Edited by ErrantBlackSheep

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[spoiler=Character Bios]

[spoiler=The "Lord"]

Quinton Daine, higher noble, age: 20, enjoys: Practicing strategies and techniques, loathes: speeches/lectures instead of dialogues/conversations

Quinn, or Quinton, is a "Royal Knight," who values his country, justice, loyalty and liberty... The concepts his intially Republican nation was founded upon and aims to protect even as a Constitutional Monarchy which it has been for centuries.

Quinton is Commander of a Trivium, a unit of three meant for quick skirmishes and patrols consisting of a Commander, a Magic user, and a foot Soldier.

Quinn's willingness to protect people and go outside of standard procedures to achieve his aims has sometimes has lead to great acts of valor, endearing him to the people and certain members of the court and the King, but also alienating him from and prompting criticism from members of the Royalty, Aristocracy and Merchant classes more concerned with maintaining the status quo, over ideals, and keeping Quinn out of their sometimes shadier politics/businesses.

He starts off traveling with his group of three or Trivium which consists of himself, his somewhat sour sometime rival, sometime best ally Torne, and a third member which seems to have in the past unfortunately had a very high turnover and sometimes casuality rate.

[spoiler=his allies]

[spoiler=his second in command]

Torne DeMercata, military scholar, mage and soldier, age: 23, enjoys: learning, loathes: merchants and consumerism

Quinn is assisted by his taciturn Mage ally, Torne(totally not Soren? ;) :p) a merchant born Soldier, sent by his family to the finest schools and academies to learn and rise thru the ranks of their country's military as those promoted high enough within the military are granted noble ranks and privilege for themselves and their families. He has climbed the ranks due to his high levels of ability and ambition, despite facing numerous roadblocks from members of the Royalty and Aristocracy vying for those same position, which while attainable for all in the military regardless of class in theory, sometimes go more to those with connections and bloodlines over actual ability.

Torne is a character who acts as the realist/pessimist of the group, much less accomodating, trusting, or willing to outside the rules and procedures than his companions...but not to the degree of being unemphathetic, just snarky and critical. He likes Quinn as a person, but sometimes is highly critical of him as a Commander, especially as Quinn's actions/delving too far into sensitive matters have cost them both promotions from time to time.

Torne eventually chose to stay with Quinn's unit though after initially requesting a transfer, as after spending time working alongside Quinn, Torne grew to respect his commander and now trusts Quinn with his life, as he knows that Quinton is very justice seeking but also protective and loyal to his allies and subordinates. Quinn will try to do what he believes to be "the right thing"... It's just Torne's job to remind his friend and commander that the "right thing" is not always so clear, practical, or even attainable in some situations.

More cerebral than most, and proud of it, Torne has a thirst for knowledge and a habit of picking up and finishing any book he can get his hands on in his spare time, regardless of subject matter or content. His sometimes more obscure knowledge of places and customs has proven an asset in their patrols along the many varied borders of their nation.

[spoiler=The new Soldier]

Rudolf Freedhelme, minor noble, age:17, enjoys: cooking, loathes: being late or unprepared

Their unit is also joined by a newly assigned young sword Knight in training, Rudolf or Rudy. He is a very green, slightly naive young man with romanticized and idealized ideas of Knighthood. Rudy comes from a minor noble family, and is very concerned with proving himself to be a true and noble Knight, bringing honor to his family name.

The young squire has all the military and academic training common to a noble Knight family... It just remains to be seen how well he has learned his lessons, over delusions of grandeur, prestige and being a "True Knight in shining armor."

Quinn and Torne enjoy teasing the new recruit for his extremely meticulously scrubbed and polished armor and weaponry, saying "at least their 'squire in shining armor' can be the best royal cleaner in the nation if he doesn't make Knight."

Responsible for the caretaking of the unit's base barrack stocks and horses. He can often be found recounting romaticized and sometimes fictional tales of 'Sir Rudolph the brave' to said horses during his caretaking duties.

Edited by ErrantShepherd

If you have four lords, why not split it into four books, with the finale being split off from Exiled Legacy? This is mostly out of curiosity, since that seems to be a number you're emphasizing.

And I shall be MOST disappointed if Saelamendron's hair isn't red.

Now that it's out in the world there's no backing down

A couple of the spoilers are broken in the character bios :O

get some pictures mang, its what this forum lives off.

I had the pics... Just didn't get a chance to put it in the second post like I meant to. I will try my best to reply when I get a chance to all the commenters. Thanks so much for the response. :)

Sooooo... Yeah, meant to have it here already.(didn't honestly expectnsuch a quick response) But here we go. ;)

-----

Currently still very much in the planning and conceptual stages.

Working on the story with my wife actually, as a kinda fun project together... So we will see how long it takes for me to actually get something playable together here. ;)

In the meantime, say hello to Raena, Quinn, and Prince Saela(Saelamendron)!

FE-Custom-Lords_zps5943e960.png

Yes, the Lords from my Sig and sprite thread will now have a home

.. Eventually. :p

Here is a placeholder for what Quinn, the Poleaxe Lord, would look like armored, but I am working on customing my own design for the armor hopefully soon.

e423b2d24f6cf7f9899014431b07dce9.png

Still working on Raena's designs... Here are some of her original potential color schemes.

FE-Custom-FemLord1_zpsb093ac71.png

Her tier 1 and 2 potential designs.. need a bit more differences perhaps.

FE-Custom-FemLord3_zps5d5c0ddd.png

...and finally her tier 2 updated and original designs... Along with her pose reference... A splice of a fighting game sprite.

FE-Custom-FemLordt2Reference_zps05fbfe54

...stay tuned for more character profiles, more concept art, potential actual screens and chapter outlines. :o

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

I talk too much, incoming wall of replies... Deal with it?

Will try to respond to all I can.

----

If you have four lords, why not split it into four books, with the finale being split off from Exiled Legacy? This is mostly out of curiosity, since that seems to be a number you're emphasizing.And I shall be MOST disappointed if Saelamendron's hair isn't red.

I am sorry Eclipse-san... I have failed you. ;-;

Hmmm... That is a good suggestion. I suppose I like trilogies? Feel like they work well as a narrative construction... But yeah you are right, don't have to stick with that ideal. Just came up with what I felt was a cool framing device... (People want more books? I can give you more books!)

I am being ambitious perhaps in my plans, but better to have something I can scale down or scale up I guess? Dream big? Shoot for the moon, land among the stars?

Hmm... I like the dynamic of experiencing everyone's different dynamics and tales though... So maybe... Hmm... Maybe there could be four books for the four Lords..n emphasizing an aspect of each of their stories. But each patch would still have all four Lord stories playable. Just each book would be 1/4 parts to their individual tales, finally wrapping up for the big finale in book 4? Exiled Legacy?

Maybe Beta can be reworked after it releases... into its own complete book/patch?

Something around Exiles and one of the Lord's storirs could work as a title/theme for book two/three... Keep the current Exiled Legacy as the ending... Figure out a good thematic concept using something similar to Journey/Legacy/Odyssey... Word that comes to mind is Folly... But that doesn't quite fit. Need a negative term/word for this new book. Any suggestions?

sorry Saela's color scheme is already chosen... But there are other playable Redheads? And he wears red at least?Like a redhead runaway noble Archer girl named Arenae(probably will tweak the name(maybe too similar to Raena, could be confusing) and backstory a bit, just realized that one character from Path of Radiance has a least some similarities in at least being a noble girl Archer).. And redheaded Myrmidon/Swordsman called Dacen.

Although obviously you are picking up the Salamander allusions. He does have a fiery personality? Cocky young prince... Kinda a bit of an anti-hero, jerk with a heart of gold... in contrast to Quinn's earnestness, Saela is pretty young and immature... He will grow throughout the story though, hopefully I can keep him sympathetic so you root for him rather than against him.

@Toa

Yup... No backing down. This hopefully will get moving/get done... To the awesome level I can picture in my head.

Btw, thanks for helping make Quinn's mug awesome. Very much appreciated bud.(lemme know if I can help out with your project in any way, k?)

no screens yet, but got concept stuff and sprites at least? You people just responded too fast XD)

@Ghast

I have pix screw off ya hoser ;)

Jk too. Love ya bud.

Yeah buddie! Thank you so very much! Hell you inspired me to actually take this random stuff I came up with and put it together into something cool.. If I can be half as cool, creative and innovative as Bloodlines... This will be good. :)

Well I'm willing to help pm me if u need anything I like the idea

I like both of the Raena's white hair designs u have not worked on "winter" lord yet I got a lot idea to help I'm going to write it down calmly to send u the txt soon

Whoa ok... Thanks for the offers of help, very much appreciated. It's cool though bud. We can chill, and enjoy this together. Just yeah, calm down a lil bit/tone it down a touch perhaps? XD

This project will still be here. Thanks for the offers of help and ideas. We will chat about them. I know its exciting and cool to be creative like this, especially when you have so many great ideas... But take a breathe bud! XD

Use some spaces. Give yourself some room to breathe, and not burn out. This passion, enthusiasm and excitement is great though!

Thanks so much for your feedback.and wanting to help. We will chat. Just breathe buddy. XD ;)

I hate this its stupid why are you even trying

(Its like the complete polar opposite response here... XD)

Because I like to be creative. Thanks for the input, can you go a bit deeper there? Need to be able to work with the criticism/improve any aspects you bring up. ;)

I love you too Agro XD

(Makes me kinda sad some people are being completely unironic when they post unhelpful negative shit like that, over actual legit criticism)

------

Thanks for checking out my thread. Will have more replies and stuff to show/share when I get a chance later this week... But thank you so very much for any and all feedback!

FE-Custom-Lords_zps5943e960.png

These sprites are so good, it puts a tear in my eye :')

Also, I personally prefer the far left palette.

Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind man! A hack with four lords sound very interesting!

Wow, definitely a project worth keeping an eye on.

I always have been of fan of this kind of interwined storylines with multiple characters, and full-custom is always nice too see.

Good luck !

My dreams of a redheaded salamander have been crushed, gg no re :P:

Perhaps the story flow can have the first three chapters which sort-of introduce the three non-mysterious lords in bits (so Winter does something off-screen in a village, which Quinn visits a few chapters later, or there's a chapter where Saela tries to hire Raena, or. . .stuff where they're each on their own segmented journey), or have the chapters set in three separate countries. . .hell, there's a lot of potential for this! Chapter 4 can be where all four have to work together for whatever reason you want to give them ("the one with the bestest sand castles gets to stay in the inn for free!" or something more serious). Either way, it's your story~!

The battle sprites look really cool. Quinn's ponytail against that red cloth. . .maybe the cloth can be a different color? Clipsey has bad eyes, and it looks like his ponytail's stuck in his shoulder!

That looks pretty cool :o

I'd love to see more background stuff (world story?)

And how much chapters do you think each Book will contain?

Cool, got some ideas. Need to rework my map/make a new map though as I have story plans and world plans that need to make sense/feel valid or sensical.

Still figuring that out... Think each character likely should have at least... Four maps per book? Some story arcs could be longer, some shorter depending on where it is heading.

These sprites are so good, it puts a tear in my eye :')

Also, I personally prefer the far left palette.

Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind man! A hack with four lords sound very interesting!

Thanks bud... Yeah it will be an interesting challenge to balance it/keep the story moving forward with four initially seperate tales... But I am always interested/intrigued by possibilities, and love stories in general.

Wow, definitely a project worth keeping an eye on.

I always have been of fan of this kind of interwined storylines with multiple characters, and full-custom is always nice too see.

Good luck !

Cheers, thanks alot! Hope to have something playable in the next year.

have you animated any of these stills? also screens where?

Frank, still in planning stages. It will come. ;)

I'll pm u any ideas I got about characters and etc ok :3

k.

A bit too early for that, methinks. But I'm willing to bet they'll look very nice when they arrive.

Hah... Thanks, any thoughts on the current story/background stuff?

Or suggestions for a potential middle book title? Something... That fits with Journey, Odyssey and Legacy... But is more of a... Folly type section "stuff goes poorly section..." Leading to the Odyssey?

Maybe... Something about starting... Something about beginnings... Before the Journey?

My dreams of a redheaded salamander have been crushed, gg no re :P:Perhaps the story flow can have the first three chapters which sort-of introduce the three non-mysterious lords in bits (so Winter does something off-screen in a village, which Quinn visits a few chapters later, or there's a chapter where Saela tries to hire Raena, or. . .stuff where they're each on their own segmented journey), or have the chapters set in three separate countries. . .hell, there's a lot of potential for this! Chapter 4 can be where all four have to work together for whatever reason you want to give them ("the one with the bestest sand castles gets to stay in the inn for free!" or something more serious). Either way, it's your story~!The battle sprites look really cool. Quinn's ponytail against that red cloth. . .maybe the cloth can be a different color? Clipsey has bad eyes, and it looks like his ponytail's stuck in his shoulder!

Lots of great thoughts and suggestions... (I actually kinda like that Saela tries hiring Raena one.) My current plans is to have them each start off in very seperate nations/climates/situations(each chapter should have a unique set of enemies/unique feel) Cross paths at certain points... Then eventually ally.

---

Yeah, was having similar thoughts for Winter's arc. Plan is to have her demonized/blamed for stuff that... May or may not really involve her. That mysterious Dark Cloaked Mage in the North... Destruction/devastation seems to follow their path.

None seem to know their identity... Or have seen their face, but rumors suggest it is possibly an a masked ancient sorcerer with long white hair... Some even... Claim this dark one may be a beautiful young woman. But whatever the case... Things happen to those who cross the path of the Dark One. :o

---

Battles sprites are... Well smaller sprites are something I have done for a while. So a bit more practice with them. Still need to learn to be an animator though... Work on my flow and dynamism.

hah, no your eyes aren't bad. Check out my sprite thread for some cool tweaks people did for me on Quinn. He will be getting some custom armor and stuff in a bit.

actually u could have made a weapon for quinn which has axe on one side....spear on the other end...poleaxe sort of...im telling u since u r a great spriter

That is actually a really interesting thought... I don't know how that might work mechanically... But very intriguing.

Thanks for the suggestion! ;)

----

So... Yeah wow, thanks so much guys for all the response, lots of great ideas and feedback! :D

Will try to have something new to post each week to keep things updated. ;)

Edit: read through Singaara's PM... Actually had some helpful ideas. Thought I would share my response in this thread too.

So... Read through.

Where will the Lords be?

-Saela by the border of the desert area to the West, vaguely Turkish/Eastern European type area like the Byzantines and Constantinople.

-Quinn to the East in his home nation slightly like Ireland/ancient Rome... Former Ancient Republic, now a Constitutional Monarchy.

-Raena near the North, traveling among the maritime isles as a mercenary.

-Winter in the Southern polar regions, with warring chieftain/warlords chasing after her/bothering her/afraid of the Dark One.

...so kinda similar to your suggestions I had ideas that related to different terrains.

>snow elf, Thief stuff

-thanks for the suggestions but it doesn't fit with my plans at the moment. The most I am planning right now is maybe some sort of manaketes and laguz-esque races very hidden away and unknown/unencountered.

Already have my Lords planned too. But thanks for the concepts.

...hmmm maybe that thief/mage idea isn't a bad one for Winter... Actually...

It's a little hard to read your posts though bud. Can you please try to use more spacing/paragraphs?

Or suggestions for a potential middle book title? Something... That fits with Journey, Odyssey and Legacy... But is more of a... Folly type section "stuff goes poorly section..." Leading to the Odyssey?

Exiled Breakdown? Exiled Pursuit? Exiled Discord?

Yayfinallyhestartsmakinghacks

It's a nice idea, I can wait for the continuation of this project~

I think you should give us some screenshots about the story...

I'm itching to see the story, even it's just a part of it...

Yayfinallyhestartsmakinghacks

It's a nice idea, I can wait for the continuation of this project~

I think you should give us some screenshots about the story...

I'm itching to see the story, even it's just a part of it...

Me too?

It's still very much in the planning and conceptual stages. I haven't even touched the rom yet. Just been doing what I can do right now... In story, character, world building... And design. :)

It will come soon enough. I honestly have been pleasantly surprised by all the support... Thanks guys.

just wait till you hear my story and then you will tear me to shreds... Maybe... Hopefully not. XD :p

Tragedy?

Oooooh... Like it. Done. Thanks! :) Edited by TheErrantShepherd