I never ever want to see anything similar to Fiona's recruitment in FE.

When I hate one thing... then impossible recruitments and unindebted Game Overs.

The most popular case for me is Fiona's recruitment in FE10 on hard mode.
There's a myrmidon, who has a 5% critchance to her. Since he doubles her, one crit would be enough to kill her. It happens to me almost in each second playthrough.

It's not to possible to prevent this situation because you can't beat 1-6-2 within 2 turns without Tauroneo.

Luckbased recruitments and Game Overs for doing absolutely nothing wrong are a NO-GO for me.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Her recruitment is annoying as hell so I can sympathize with you there. She also tends to reminds me of Minerva's recruitment in the DS remake, that being said Minerva actually kicked ass and Fiona is actually worse than Meg... Even if you give Fiona a secret book, forge and paragon she's hardly redeemable.

I think the big issue is we have no say in the matter to continue or restart in the event that she dies because of course it's an instant game over; most of us would probably prefer to just carry on without her as all she'll be doing is warming the bench. I understand that due to the storyline she has to live for that chapter, however it is still frustrating; the best thing she brings to the party is a Thani tomb for Micaiah and some Bexp for survivng chapter 6-2.

Edited by ClLoulD

I think it's annoying too, but not nearly as much as Shinon's re-recruitment, which has to be some of the most poorly-hinted-at crap in FE ever.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Tellius did a lot of things right. Recruitment wasn't one of them.

- Why is Stefan in the middle of the desert, such that the only way you can find him is by having specific characters standing over him?

- Shinon's PoR re-recruitment was also bad.

- Pelleas isn't recruitable the first time, full stop.

- I always like breaking formation just to get to that one mage in the middle of it all (Ilyana).

- Don't get me started on Lehran.

While I like the recruitment requirements as they do provide some variety, someone who is playing in blind likely won't realize that:

In order to recruit Shinon, they have to have an archer who they may have not leveled up go and talk to Shinon, and then they have to have Ike stab Shinon to death.

and in order to recruit Stefan, you have to have either Lethe/Mordecai play minesweeper in PoR.

[spoiler=I'm not the only one who has this problem.]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjv67hgWAgc

Watch at 18:55.

You can, actually.

I see. Jill must rescue Tauroneo in turn 1 and drop him in Laverton's attack range in turn 2?

I wished there'd be another way though.

Huh, I never had that problem, even on HM.

It's only a HM thing.

On lower difficulties the myrmidon doesn't attack her because of weapon disadvantage. Fiona might even survive a crit. Not quite sure about it though.

If you want a complete BS luck-based recruitment, see Jaffar and Nino.

although Battle before Dawn on HHM is BS and luck-based overall.

I remember keeping NPC Jaffar alive was a pain in the ass.

However I think it didn't end with a Game Over when he died.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Shinon's is bad because of how Rolf sucks and you probably didn't use him

but I feel like Stefan's is worse

I only found him because of the internet

I was trying to look up something else and i saw something basically saying "Stefan's recruitment is terrible"

I clicked it to prepare myself for this and found out it was in the chapter I was on

so if I hadn't seen that I would've missed out on Stefan entirely

I was using a treasure map but it just had Stefan marked with a * and Vague Katti marked around there, so I probably would've just gotten the Vague Katti

Shinon's at least is possible to guess

Stefan's is just what why

also no one mentioned it but I'm pretty sure you have to use shove or Astrid dies on the first turn

I didn't even get her because of that

Edited by maybe

Tellius did a lot of things right. Recruitment wasn't one of them.

- Why is Stefan in the middle of the desert, such that the only way you can find him is by having specific characters standing over him?

- Shinon's PoR re-recruitment was also bad.

- Pelleas isn't recruitable the first time, full stop.

- I always like breaking formation just to get to that one mage in the middle of it all (Ilyana).

- Don't get me started on Lehran.

Don't you have to break formation to get Heath in FE7 as well?

Now that I think of it Gatrie's re-recruitment screwed me over first time as well. I recruited Astrid then had her run away due to being level 1 and then had Ike talk to Gatrie, by doing this I assumed it recruited him but I found myself without him on the next chapter :(.

Shinon's is bad because of how Rolf sucks and you probably didn't use him

but I feel like Stefan's is worse

I only found him because of the internet

I was trying to look up something else and i saw something basically saying "Stefan's recruitment is terrible"

I clicked it to prepare myself for this and found out it was in the chapter I was on

so if I hadn't seen that I would've missed out on Stefan entirely

I was using a treasure map but it just had Stefan marked with a * and Vague Katti marked around there, so I probably would've just gotten the Vague Katti

Shinon's at least is possible to guess

Stefan's is just what why

also no one mentioned it but I'm pretty sure you have to use shove or Astrid dies on the first turn

I didn't even get her because of that

To be fair, the game DOES hint at Stefan's existence:

Servant

Oh, yes, picnics are indeed nice. Oh, but a word of caution. Studying the ruins from afar is one thing, but you would be well advised to keep your distance... For safety's sake! It's said that there's a bandit stronghold near the northwest ruins. And we hear occasional reports of strange figures wandering the dunes in the northeast. Be careful!

On the other hand, it doesn't even try to hint at the possibility that you can get Shinon back. Nor does it even hint at how.

Well, Rolf and Shinon's relationship is hinted at earlier. But I figure most people would suck it up and kill Shinon once they see talking to Rolf doesn't get him on your side.

Funny thing is that in Radiant Dawn I actually recruited Stefan through sheer dumb luck. But yeah, recruitment in Tellius was pretty mediocre overall.

Well, Rolf and Shinon's relationship is hinted at earlier. But I figure most people would suck it up and kill Shinon once they see talking to Rolf doesn't get him on your side.

Yeah, what happened for me is that I talked to him with Rolf, and then nothing happened, so I killed him... With Rolf. Seemed fitting for the student to beat the master. Shinon died...

Edited by Augestein

Which the game does a very shitty job of doing, at that, given that the one thing that even remotely qualifies as a clue (without playing Radiant Dawn, which outright tells you eventually) is in a throwaway conversation that the player might've either missed or forgotten. Agreed on the second part.

I'll add Oliver in FE10 to the list of unintuitive recruitments. Not that it makes no sense, but mostly because you don't expect him (of all characters) to join your party.

I'll add Oliver in FE10 to the list of unintuitive recruitments. Not that it makes no sense, but mostly because you don't expect him (of all characters) to join your party.

And then you would have to want to recruit him too... But that's just my opinion. To each their own.

Thracia has some wacky recruitment too, *Looks at Xavier and Misha*

Misha only shows up on the A route, so if one takes the B route, they skip her recruitment. (Which I do because fuck you Dorias)

Xavier is bullshit no matter what. Fuck Xavier.

Edited by NoNameAtAll

To be fair, this one is more likely to just happen accidentally. I didn't know about it on my first run, I thought he didn't move, and then when he did I freaked out, and then he was blue, and I was very confused.

To be fair, this one is more likely to just happen accidentally. I didn't know about it on my first run, I thought he didn't move, and then when he did I freaked out, and then he was blue, and I was very confused.

Man, that has to be one of the funniest recruitments though. Especially if it happens on accident.

• 3 weeks later...