Question: Are stat growths dependant on Asset/Flaw of the Avatar or who is their spouse?

As the title says, I want to know if the stat growths of Awakenings characters are somehow influenced by Asset/Flaw choice of the Avatar or if who they marry or not has something to do with it.

Case in point: I am currently grinding everyone to max stats/halfway decent skill sets. My Avatar is a Grandmaster and has an asset in Skill and flaw in HP. I had Lissa and Vaike marry and, try as I might, Lissa never maxed out her Defence and Vaike never maxed out his resistance or magic, the latter of which isn't unusual, but the former kind of irked me, because in my female Avatar playthrough (+Spd/-Def, Swordmaster), Lissa married Libra and maxed out her defense no problem (in fact, after Luck and Magic, it was her FIRST maxed out stat. Both times, I grinded (ground?) her through all of her available classes once and had her end as War Cleric. Am I just terribly unlucky (as in, the RNG screwed me over with Lissa's Defence) or does one of those two things I mentioned earlier have something to do with it?

Or could the Avatar's gender have something to do with it as well, because I had noticed that whenever I make a male Avatar, everyone, including said Avatar, who isn't a magic-based character, always has major troubles increasing Resistance by even a single point (Frederick, Stahl, Gregor, Vaike and even Lon'qu, who maxed Resistance without trouble in my female Avatar file), but whenever my Avatar is female, every character, aside from Vaike, Gaius and sometimes Gregor, maxes out in Resistance.

Note that I always grinded (ground?) everyone through all of their available classes once. It always went like this: Base class to level 20 -> desired end class/promotion level 20 -> other first stage classes to level 20 -> every promotion to level 15 -> Bride/Dread Fighter to level 30 -> desired end class level 20.

Thank you guys in advance and I apologize if this question is stupid, it's just something I had noticed.

Note that this doesn't include children, although some of them are shaky in their Magic and Resistance growths sometimes, especially Gerome and Inigo.

In a nutshell:

- Asset/Flaw only affects Avatar's stats (starting/growths/caps)

- Avatar's gender affects marriage options and support conversations and classes

- Avatar's birthday affects when he/she gets a barracks event

- Everything else is aesthetics

- Marriage choices only affect the stats/growths/caps of their child

So what you're describing are RNG quirks.

Edited by eclipse

In a nutshell:

- Asset/Flaw only affects Avatar's stats (starting/growths/caps)

- Avatar's gender affects marriage options and support conversations and classes

- Avatar's birthday affects when he/she gets a barracks event

- Everything else is aesthetics

- Marriage choices only affect the stats/growths/caps of their child

So what you're describing are RNG quirks.

I see. The RNG really, really hates me sometimes. Not just in Fire Emblem, in other games as well. Thanks for the quick reply! :D

Abnormality like that is normal, actually. If everyone was always average in every way, then the RNG wouldn't be very random, would it?

I know, and I appreciate the randomness of stat growths, since it is very rewarding to get a really good level up. But... if you want to max out your units and don't have that many stat boosters available (especially Spirit Dust and Talisman (the one that raises resistance)), it gets kind of annoying constantly having a character say they are as strong as they can be and have almost all stats at around 50 or more, but their Defence/Resistance is still somewhere around 10 or 20, which happened to me with Gaius, Vaike, Basilio, Walhart, Stahl, Palne and even Yarne for Resistance and Maribelle, Lissa, Olivia, also Gaius and Miriel for Defence that one time. I don't care if a physical unit doesn't max out in Magic or a magical unit doesn't max out in Strength and I can accept a unit not having max Luck (especially if they do not have/get Armshift, Despoil or Miracle), but the defensive stat should be maxed out, ideally.

Sadly, that is often not the case and I end up with often completely unusable (Gaius, mostly (and sadly, because he's a cool guy)) units or I bench them in place for a unit that grew better, but I like the 'worse' unit more (Stahl and Sully, I like Stahl, but I dislike Sully). And it's getting pretty annoying reclassing them over and over and having 19 levels of nothing over and over... well, at least it is easy to farm gold or Silver weaponry, so there's that...

I play my max-out runs for Apotheosis and other DLCs mostly on Normal, so I can grind with Reeking boxes. If I don't do that, I play on Hard or Lunatic (haven't tackled Lunatic+ yet, probably never will), where I just grind for high enough levels to get through the storyline and paralogues.

Sorry for the long post.