How to grind skills in Fates?

DragonFlames

Hi guys! I was looking into the reclassing mechanic in Fates and noticed that your level doesn't reset this time around. How are supposed to grind skills then? Can someone give me an explanation, because that confuses me to no end.

Also, is skill/stat inheritance still a thing with the children or do they function differently from Awakening?

If you reclass to a second tier class you learn the first tier classes skills first then the second tiers as you level up.

Hypothetically, saying awakening works like this.

You are a Grandmaster, you reclass to Swordmaster.

The next time you level up you will learn Avoid+ 10, and the next time after that you'll learn vantage which are both myrmridon skills.

After that you'll learn swordmaster skills as you level.

Skill and stat inheritence is still a thing.

Also in regards to grinding skills. If you want a super easy way to do it, grinding my castle battles is easier.

The easy way to put it is, if i go online, I can visit a ton of other players Castles and fight their teams.

If I see someone who has a skill I don't have on a certain character, I can either buy that skill from them upon winning vs their Ai controlled team, or get that character in my logbook then buy the skill from there.

As an example, say I see the enemy has an Aqua with Astra. usually this would be a chore to get on her as the only way to get it is pairing her with a swordmaster and having her marriage or buddy seal to it.

Well if I beat that guy i can just buy Astra on my Aqua, or get his Aqua in my logbook and buy Astra whenever I want.

Note you can only buy skills for that character. I can't buy Astra from an Aqua, then give it to the avatar.

Hi guys! I was looking into the reclassing mechanic in Fates and noticed that your level doesn't reset this time around. How are supposed to grind skills then? Can someone give me an explanation, because that confuses me to no end.

Also, is skill/stat inheritance still a thing with the children or do they function differently from Awakening?

You get a "missed skill" every time you level up. For example, if I changed Kamui to a Ninja at level 10, he missed both of the ninja skills. When you get to level 11, he'll get the first missed skill, and then at level 12, he'd get the next one. This applies to promoted classes as well. If a promoted Kamui changed to a Wyvern Lord at level 14, he'd get the first Wyvern Rider skill at level 15, the next at level 16, the first Wyvern Lord skill at level 16 and the last one at level 17. In other words, it's a lot easier than awakening.

Children get modifiers from their parents, just like Awakening.

Edit: Saizo'd, but there you go.

Edited by NekoKnight

Alright, thank you both for your reply. :D

So, in a nutshell, I'll have to micromanage the levels of my units, so that I don't accidentally train one to 20/20 without reclassing them once. So, in theory, if I find someone online, whose Avatar has, say, Sol and my Avatar doesn't have the option of changing to a (Brave) Hero, I can buy the Sol skill from that Avatar (kinda like Radiant Dawn, where you could also buy skills)? Sounds awesome and like a good way to save Buddy/Marriage seals.

Do children still get a +1 mod for their stat modifiers or was that removed, so that a say -2 strength stays a -2 and doesn't become a -1 (before applying other parent of course)?

Alright, thank you both for your reply. :D

So, in a nutshell, I'll have to micromanage the levels of my units, so that I don't accidentally train one to 20/20 without reclassing them once. So, in theory, if I find someone online, whose Avatar has, say, Sol and my Avatar doesn't have the option of changing to a (Brave) Hero, I can buy the Sol skill from that Avatar (kinda like Radiant Dawn, where you could also buy skills)? Sounds awesome and like a good way to save Buddy/Marriage seals.

Do children still get a +1 mod for their stat modifiers or was that removed, so that a say -2 strength stays a -2 and doesn't become a -1 (before applying other parent of course)?

The Eternal Seal allows a unit at level cap to push the cap five levels further, so there is never a point where you can't learn anymore skills at all.

Just like Awakening, the +1 modifier exists for all Second-Generation units but not a third-gen Morgan/Kanna.

The Eternal Seal allows a unit at level cap to push the cap five levels further, so there is never a point where you can't learn anymore skills at all.

Just like Awakening, the +1 modifier exists for all Second-Generation units but not a third-gen Morgan/Kanna.

I see, thank you!

How many eternal seals can you get in one playthrough? And how many can you use on one character? I know, I'm asking a lot of questions. Sorry, if I annoy you, everyone!

EDIT: Right. You CAN get infinite Eternal Seals for 12000 gold each (holy hell! I'm hoping for a Silver Card add-on). I just read it on the main site *facepalms*

That makes the gold-farming DLC a necessity for me, I guess, since I don't want to have to micromanage experience and levels. I'm really not good at micromanaging these things since I just want to use characters I like and train them however much I want to...

Edited by DragonFlames

Eternal Seals are infinite once you upgrade the shop to Lv.3. Though they're the most expensive thing in the game (12000G), so you have to grind for money first. You can use as many as you want on a character, or so I've heard.

Eternal Seals are infinite once you upgrade the shop to Lv.3. Though they're the most expensive thing in the game (12000G), so you have to grind for money first. You can use as many as you want on a character, or so I've heard.

That means level 100 on a character I like with particularly bad growths then (looking at you, Hana's Defence)... woohoo!

But there has to be a cap somewhere, I mean... they couldn't suddenly have level 100 or higher characters, could they? I think the level will cap out at maybe 40-50, 60-70 for special classes like Dread Fighter or something like that. And even that is a bit of a stretch, I think.

Imagine going to fight the Final Boss with all your levels in the seventies and he's at, like, level 30 or something... lol. But that still wouldn't mean anything, because stat caps.

Any recommendations on Eternal Seals? How many would you use on one character?

Edited by DragonFlames

You should just buy the skills if you don't want to micromanage the levels. If you just want to grind characters to infinity and beyond, then you will probably need that gold DLC....

Is the end goal PVP or single player?

That means level 100 on a character I like with particularly bad growths then (looking at you, Hana's Defence)... woohoo!

But there has to be a cap somewhere, I mean... they couldn't suddenly have level 100 or higher characters, could they? I think the level will cap out at maybe 40-50, 60-70 for special classes like Dread Fighter or something like that. And even that is a bit of a stretch, I think.

Imagine going to fight the Final Boss with all your levels in the seventies and he's at, like, level 30 or something... lol. But that still wouldn't mean anything, because stat caps.

Any recommendations on Eternal Seals? How many would you use on one character?

The visable cap is 99, but you can go further than that. Though you can only use 5 learned skills at a time and you'll eventually cap your stats so you'll rarely get any benefit from passing level 40-60.

Eternal Seals can't be used until the unit actually hits the level cap so basically just give one to anyone who hits 20/20 and hasn't capped or learned a skill they need.

Edited by gayserbeam

You should just buy the skills if you don't want to micromanage the levels. If you just want to grind characters to infinity and beyond, then you will probably need that gold DLC....

Is the end goal PVP or single player?

I don't know too much about PvP yet, so I can't answer that question surely as of yet, but if it exists, I'll definately give it a try. I also hope for a co-op mode like Awakening had, but a little more fleshed out than that, like being able to actually deploy your units on a map rather than just going through several battles.

I will micromanage levels if I have to, I just said I'm not very good at it.

The visable cap is 99, but you can go further than that. Though you can only use 5 learned skills at a time and you'll eventually cap your stats so you'll rarely get any benefit from passing level 40-60.

Eternal Seals can't be used until the unit actually hits the level cap so basically just give one to anyone who hits 20/20 and hasn't capped or learned a skill they need.

Right, duely noted! Thank you! I'll keep that in mind, when (if) the game comes out here!

I actually have a relevant question. And before anyone says, yes, I do have the game, but it seems a bit of a chore to do. So, the question is (in example) if I purchase Luna for Takumi and then start a new game, will he still have access to Luna in his pool of moves I can place on him? I honestly haven't done a single skill purchase before, so I'm still in the dark about some aspects of it.

I actually have a relevant question. And before anyone says, yes, I do have the game, but it seems a bit of a chore to do. So, the question is (in example) if I purchase Luna for Takumi and then start a new game, will he still have access to Luna in his pool of moves I can place on him? I honestly haven't done a single skill purchase before, so I'm still in the dark about some aspects of it.

No. However, the Takumi you bought the skill from will be saved in the logbook and you can buy the skill from there.

Didn't grind a single skill. Just grinded levels and money dlcs... then go into the rankings for Castles and clear without handicaps and buy skills. Easiest for the main royalties and most children, rarer for the underused characters like Crimson, Asama etc. Pretty much got all the skills I'd ever need. Solar, Luna, Comet, Aegis, Pavise, Hoshido, Nohr, Dragon Curse, Growth... although you cannot BUy dlc skills and still need to earn them, although Aether is easy as hell to farm.

Edited by Jeremy Yuuji Tan

Didn't grind a single skill. Just grinded levels and money dlcs... then go into the rankings for Castles and clear without handicaps and buy skills. Easiest for the main royalties and most children, rarer for the underused characters like Crimson, Asama etc. Pretty much got all the skills I'd ever need. Solar, Luna, Comet, Aegis, Pavise, Hoshido, Nohr, Dragon Curse, Growth... although you cannot BUy dlc skills and still need to earn them, although Aether is easy as hell to farm.

I find Veteran Intuition to be one of the most useful skills in the game that doesn't have to be earned either. Since crit dodge by luck is halved in this game and this skill will make it mannerable like all of the other games. :) Unlimited manuals helps in that predicament as well. But...getting skills from the Great Lord Awakening and from Starlord/Lodester Speed Drain can only be given to one character per save file. Those you'll have to choose carefully since females cannot get Speed Drain and males cannot get Awakening. Just hope that an unlimited DLC map of those class changing items comes out soon. Otherwise...the Speed Drain manuals will have to exist in a future episode.