Competitive Decklists and Metagame Discussion - Latest Update: April 26 (S8)

Tuvillo

Holy moly, the posts on this thread are broken. Fix em up later. Write review for now.
I've got two decks of yer favourite boy, Guzma, Roy.

http://i.imgur.com/eNbSPT2.jpg - Roy Deck #1
http://i.imgur.com/wig2F5k.jpg - Roy Deck #2

I'll refer to each in order. Roy Deck #1, then #2. Starting from the top left, to right (then middle left to middle right, and bottom left to bottom right, you get the idea).
Roy is basically a toolbox whose main goal is to control the game and put it in your favour with FOUR skills (all of which are helpful) and gain advantage while your opponent is down.
Boy Deck #1

Spoiler

Deck Total: 50

• Boy (Cost 1) B05-003HN x 1 - The literal definition of having no real effect. Since he's the Main Character, and there's only one of him, his support skills are definitely not going off either. He still attacks for base 40 attack no problem though.
  • Roy (Cost 4) B09-054R+X x 4 - The literal Toolbox. Now we're getting to the good stuff. Pops off right at turn 3. Unlike any of the other Main Characters who have the ability to pull, only Roy and Eliwood can do it on the turn they promote (the others have some sort of restriction that only allows them to do it on Turn 4 onwards). Not just that but, three other useful skills that can come into play often. 
    - [Flip 1] Draw one card, then stack a card from your hand on top of your Deck. This can be good for cycling, ensuring some hits with weaker units or hitting altogether or even stacking to ensure you get that specific unit with Eliwood.
    - [Flip 1] Select another allied unit. That unit gains 10 attack until the end of this turn. This skill allows your other units a greater chance at hitting an enemy.
    [Flip 1] Move an ally. Essentially a rescue, but combo'd with a Rescue Flier -  allows movement to the front lines to snipe the enemy backline and then retreat back to your own backline afterwards.
    - (CCS) [Flip 1] Move an enemy unit. Sure, it's Flip 1 to move an enemy. However, with Deirdre (assuming you use this skill only during that turn), you turn this skill into a bondless move. You can also force enemy units to the backline who lack range, which punishes decks that lack any form of movement.
    All these skills make Roy a toolbox deck to be reckoned with and not one to be underestimated.
  • Roy (Cost 4) S07-001ST x 4 - This Roy is inferior to the Toolbox Roy I just described for a few basic reasons, but the reason this is in the deck is for additional crits / evades. This Roy doesn't do much except gain 1-2 range when you deploy a unit with a Support Skill. What limits this card (like a lot of other 1-2 range units) is that Roy must be in the frontline to gain this effect, and when compared to MarthST (from Series 1), pulling > gaining range. The reason for this is because if you want to hit something in their backline, Roy must commit himself to hitting that target, compared to when you pull a unit, you can have another unit deal with it.
  • Nino (Cost 4) B07-039SR x 4 - One of the two advantage gaining magic users in the deck. Nino prolongs games by grabbing a copy of your Main Character (which is often used as an avoid). While Nino is out and Nino supports another unit, you instantly gain advantage by drawing a card just off it. Especially while your attacking and you are supported by Nino (Cost 1), for that Draw 2, Discard 1 power, effectively cycling your deck. The problem with that is though...
  • Nino (Cost 1) B07-040N x 1 - There's only one Nino (Cost 1) in this deck. If it was me, I'd max out Nino because she's that valuable to have on the field (more avoids) and having more chances to be supported by Nino gives more advantage when you least expect it.
  • Eliwood (Cost 5) B07-001SR x 4 - There's a real good reason why Eliwood has a decent price tag on him, and that's because of the insane support values that Eliwood gives (X = Ten times the unit's deployment cost) and that Eliwood can deploy his support by flipping two bonds. Excellent card overall. They need to make more good Cost 5 units, and Eliwood is a great sign of showing improvement.
  • Emma (Cost 1) B06-050N x 4 - Basically place this card in the Bond Area when you see it to make her a Bond Flip to rescue a unit. Quite useful. She's also a flier, in which fliers give good support values.
  • Erin (Cost 1) B06-039N x 4 (Also known as Fury, or Ferry, depends on what translation you go by) - In short, basically there for the support value from being a flier and a Rescuebot. Rescuebots are useful alongside Roy (I described the main intention above for Roy).
  • Erin (Cost 3) B06-038R x 2 (Also known as Fury, or Ferry, depends on what translation you go by) - Support value flier, and a little niche where she can tap a flier (including herself) to grant 10 attack to an ally for that turn. This can be useful to save Roy bonds.
  • Deirdre (Cost 4) B06-004SR x 4 - Maiden of being 4000 yen or more. The other of the two advantage gaining magic users. Unflipping a bond is basically the best advantage you could get. This makes more skills accessible for the turns onwards and the best part is, Dierdre just has to be deployed to gain that advantage (it happens during the end of the turn). She basically applies a lot of pressure by being alive - if you don't defeat her, she'll keep unflipping bonds.
  • Robin (Male) (Cost 2) P01-015PR x 2 - Very useful card when being pressured a lot by your opponent. This tends to happen more when you're being rushed down or against an aggressive deck, but if you have this card early on, you can grab an orb back and take an enemy out with Robin at the same time. This swings the game setting towards you more (which is obviously what you want).
  • Tate (Cost 1) B05-039N x 4 - Support value flier. This is one of the unique fliers who stack themselves so you have a 100% chance of securing 30 support and a flier emblem in one go. I myself prefer using an actual Rescue flier like Erin / Shanna, but I guess it comes down to players choice.
  • Farina (Cost 1) B07-043N x 4 - Exactly the same as Tate.
  • Gerome (Cost 4) B01-089HN x 2 - Gerome is great in the way that not only does he provide that 30 support value off being a flier, but he gains 20 attack while in battle against an enemy wielding a sword. This is majority of the meta's Main Characters (such as Corrin (Female) and Marth).
  • Severa (Cost 4) B04-094SR x 2 - Here's something you don't see every day. Severa basically grants a Male unit 20 attack if she hits something. This gives options such as Roy / Eliwood more of a chance to hit easily and not get defeated by attacks as often.
  • Nowi (Cost 3) B01-078R x 4 - Very late game option which goes well with this controlled style of gameplay. She gains 30 attack if you have six bonds or more (play her down turn 7 or higher) and grants instant card advantage by adding your Bonds back. She also has 1-2 range so she can pick off annoying units.

This deck is fairly solid in terms of it's build. If I were to change anything, I would play the maximum amount of Nino and possibly a few rescue fliers from Blue.

Boy Deck #2

The Decks are both fairly similar so I'll go over the differences.

Spoiler

Deck Total: 50

• Boy (Cost 1) B05-003HN x 3 - This deck has 3 Roy (Cost 1)s instead of just 1. There's not much point in that, when you could be running Roy (Cost 4) (the ST one) for more possible promotion options in your Deck, especially since this is a control-based deck - you don't need or want to double-orb break your opponent.
  • This deck has one more Nino than the other. I explained above why maximising Nino can be good.
  • Caeda (Cost 1) B01-006HN x 2 (also known as Shiida / Sheeda) - Caeda basically gives 10 attack to another unit by tapping another one, which can be hard to do. In the end it's more critical / evades for Caeda (Cost 4) and also for that 30 support value / flier's emblem.
  • Caeda (Cost 4) B01-004SR x 4 (also known as Shiida / Sheeda) - The exact same reason why MarthST was so good comboing with Caeda. Roy pulls up a weak target for Caeda to hit, and then Caeda allows you to add any Red card from your Deck to your hand for a bond flip. This process however costs two bonds, which can be a bit pricey but perhaps worth if you add something valuable.
  • Shanna (Cost 1) B05-023N x 4 (also known as Thany? I think) - Basically the same as how I described Erin in the other decklist.
  • Narcian (Cost 4) B05-048SR x 4 - When you're down in cards, and need some way to gain advantage and turn the tide, Narcian is here to force your opponent to reveal and stack a card from their hand. At the end of the day, whether or not you use him, he's also a flier which helps a ton.
  • Clarine (Cost 1) B05-028N x 2 - A flip 2 healer who can salvage any card. This costs a lot, and there's kind of no reason to run this when you're already running Clarine (Cost 3), which is at two copies in this deck. Why not just max out Clarine (Cost 3)?
  • Clarine (Cost 3) B05-027HN x 2 - Clarine costs only one bond to heal, on the condition that she can only heal an ally in the same row as the row she's currently in. This is great as it only costs one bond, and the condition is easy to fulfill.
  • Marth (Cost 1) B01-003HN x 2 - Marth can pull an enemy to the frontlines by tapping himself and another allied unit. This is kind of unnecessary as you've already got Roy to pull enemies for you.
  • Marth (Cost 4) B04-018SR x 4 - Allows you to gain advantage by adding Marth's cost 2 or lower supports when he attacks. This can be good when you purposely stack a unit, but then there's not much card advantage being gained when doing so.
  • Tiki (Cost 5) B01-046SR x 3 - Very-late game option who also gives you more Bonds while attacking. This is great as you can continuously increase the amount of bonds you have when you drop Tiki on turn 5 and also allows you use to use up more bonds for skills, but can be less effective than Deirdre when Deirdre can be deployed on turn four and compared to Deirdre, Tiki lacks range.
  • Michalis (Cost 5) B04-047R x 3 - A card that adds either Caeda (Cost 4) or Narcian on death. Basically. Also he's a flier.
  • Robin (Male) (Cost 1) B04-066HN x 2 - Basically an Anti-discard option. While they discard a card from your hand, you discard this card and you gain an orb back.
  • Sumia (Cost 1) B01-069N x 1 - Only one? Well... Basically the same as Erin described above.

If I were to choose one of them, I would choose Boy Deck #1, basically because Roy works so well with Deirdre.

Edited by TheVinceKnight

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that these two decks are really for resolving bonds for more of Roy effects, which is pretty awesome. 

But in the first deck, I know everyone loves Eliwood for his huge support on big drops, but should we ever put him into the field? I feel like his support-deploy is pretty awesome.

On 2/1/2017 at 3:16 PM, Myst said:

I see that these two decks are really for resolving bonds for more of Roy effects, which is pretty awesome. 

But in the first deck, I know everyone loves Eliwood for his huge support on big drops, but should we ever put him into the field? I feel like his support-deploy is pretty awesome.

If you deploy something worth out of it, something big - Arvis, Deirdre, Tiki5, then yes it can be worth.
More control = More win.
>You can also stack Eliwood with Nino, to get that X support instantly. Can't go wrong with Eliwood.

Edited by TheVinceKnight

• 2 weeks later...

I talk about Competitive Decklists often, but lack of decklists (or anything interesting nowadays) has run this decklist thread dry.

Let's talk about possible Meta Options instead.
The Fire Emblem Cipher stream recently revealed a few new cards - so when Series 8 hits shelves in Japan (March 17th), we may see Chrom finally spring back into action. 

https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Chrom_(Cipher)
(And no, not the Risen Chrom. That is more than likely going to be a deck that isn't going to work out well.)

EDIT: A few hours after I wrote this, the Chrom card gets revealed on the Cipher Twitter. Oops.

xKql0us.png

Now of course, a lot of the details on the card can't be read properly - so as such they aren't translated (yet) but at least the skills are.
Let's discuss:  Exalt Chrom - Cost 5

His first skill, "Future Changing Bonds", allows you to class change any ally (that hasn't been class changed) from the Retreat. This is big advantage as the least you're getting from it is a Flip 2, Draw 1 (for class changing) out of it AND a bigger unit (Cost 4 or higher more than likely). The best part is that it isn't colour restricted, meaning you can class change ANYONE.
His second skill, "Hopeful Future" allows you to proc a one-time buff for the turn whenever you need it. This gives any class changed allies for that turn 10 attack. That means Chrom himself will get a 'free' hit at 80 attack (free meaning as long as he doesn't fail his support he'll hit more than likely), any Class Changed Mage type units with range will reach the 70 attack threshold, and basically anyone can get a decent hit in.
Positives:

• Class Changing from the Retreat, more reliable and consistent than doing it from the hand.
  • Gives 10 attack to class changed allies so they have an easier time with landing attacks successfully.
  • The first skill isn't Once Per Turn, which means you can go-off with multiple class changes after this unit is placed down.

Negatives:

• It's Chrom
  • The card itself is a Cost 5, which makes it difficult to survive past a certain point in the game when you're promoting on Turn 4 while everyone else is promoting on Turn 3.
  • Flipping 2, well this can be seen as a negative but you can run Deirdre to make it possible to class change a low cost unit Once Per Turn after turn 5.
  • Running low cost units in the deck, which can be seen as a bad thing if your low cost units don't achieve too much (Playing Deirdre and class changing her from the Retreat is great but Deirdre's (Cost 1) card doesn't do much. This is natural however, as Cost 1 units can't be expected to do too much.
  • Blue is lackluster so far, but we're just getting deeper and deeper into Series 8. More possibilities are welcome.
  • Loses quicker to aggro as a result of being slow. Unfortunately. (Having a Cost 3/2 option and Robin (Male) (Cost 2) helps with this)

Chrom definitely has potential to be something big. Going off Turn 5 is a bit slow, but it's still worth something when you get two class-changed units out of it.

Edited by TheVinceKnight

On 2/12/2017 at 4:12 PM, TheVinceKnight said:

I talk about Competitive Decklists often, but lack of decklists (or anything interesting nowadays) has run this decklist thread dry.

Let's talk about possible Meta Options instead.
The Fire Emblem Cipher stream recently revealed a few new cards - so when Series 8 hits shelves in Japan (March 17th), we may see Chrom finally spring back into action. 

https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Chrom_(Cipher)
(And no, not the Risen Chrom. That is more than likely going to be a deck that isn't going to work out well.)

EDIT: A few hours after I wrote this, the Chrom card gets revealed on the Cipher Twitter. Oops.

Reveal hidden contents

xKql0us.png

Now of course, a lot of the details on the card can't be read properly - so as such they aren't translated (yet) but at least the skills are.
Let's discuss:  Exalt Chrom - Cost 5

His first skill, "Future Changing Bonds", allows you to class change any ally (that hasn't been class changed) from the Retreat. This is big advantage as the least you're getting from it is a Flip 2, Draw 1 (for class changing) out of it AND a bigger unit (Cost 4 or higher more than likely). The best part is that it isn't colour restricted, meaning you can class change ANYONE.
His second skill, "Hopeful Future" allows you to proc a one-time buff for the turn whenever you need it. This gives any class changed allies for that turn 10 attack. That means Chrom himself will get a 'free' hit at 80 attack (free meaning as long as he doesn't fail his support he'll hit more than likely), any Class Changed Mage type units with range will reach the 70 attack threshold, and basically anyone can get a decent hit in.
Positives:

• Class Changing from the Retreat, more reliable and consistent than doing it from the hand.
  • Gives 10 attack to class changed allies so they have an easier time with landing attacks successfully.
  • The first skill isn't Once Per Turn, which means you can go-off with multiple class changes after this unit is placed down.

Negatives:

• It's Chrom
  • The card itself is a Cost 5, which makes it difficult to survive past a certain point in the game when you're promoting on Turn 4 while everyone else is promoting on Turn 3.
  • Flipping 2, well this can be seen as a negative but you can run Deirdre to make it possible to class change a low cost unit Once Per Turn after turn 5.
  • Running low cost units in the deck, which can be seen as a bad thing if your low cost units don't achieve too much (Playing Deirdre and class changing her from the Retreat is great but Deirdre's (Cost 1) card doesn't do much. This is natural however, as Cost 1 units can't be expected to do too much.
  • Blue is lackluster so far, but we're just getting deeper and deeper into Series 8. More possibilities are welcome.
  • Loses quicker to aggro as a result of being slow. Unfortunately. (Having a Cost 3/2 option and Robin (Male) (Cost 2) helps with this)

Chrom definitely has potential to be something big. Going off Turn 5 is a bit slow, but it's still worth something when you get two class-changed units out of it.

I honestly think that this Chrom makes a big difference in how your deck can be built now.

To address your point about it losing to aggro, I think I'm going to disagree because you'll be more encouraged to bring single costed guys and be able to spend promoted cards to crit/evade without so much of a penalty. With bringing more 1-cost characters allows for a more consistent early game. And with more 1-cost characters to attack and send your supports into retreat, digging for more promoted units for Chrom to class up.

The only issue I'd run into this plan is card advantage, because you'd be spitting cards up to deploy, crit/evade, and bond. If someone could fill that gap, I'd figure his abilities would be very strong and consistent.

4 hours ago, Myst said:

I honestly think that this Chrom makes a big difference in how your deck can be built now.

To address your point about it losing to aggro, I think I'm going to disagree because you'll be more encouraged to bring single costed guys and be able to spend promoted cards to crit/evade without so much of a penalty. With bringing more 1-cost characters allows for a more consistent early game. And with more 1-cost characters to attack and send your supports into retreat, digging for more promoted units for Chrom to class up.

The only issue I'd run into this plan is card advantage, because you'd be spitting cards up to deploy, crit/evade, and bond. If someone could fill that gap, I'd figure his abilities would be very strong and consistent.

It's not too much of a difference, but maybe a few more Cost 1s that usual, and specific ones because you intend to class change.
Decks run a fair amount of Cost 1 Fliers / Fodder already so it's not that much different.

Perhaps the build would be similar to a... Series 4 Lucina lets say.
It still loses out to aggro just as quick, but you can combat it easily by playing differently (always killing their fodder instead of hitting their Main Character) / using cards to specifically combat aggro.

Ike relies on getting to Level S5 asap and he has difficulty doing it when he's up against an aggressive deck, for example.
All decks can have a certain level of weakness to aggro, it's just some can deal with it better than others etc.

Card advantage isn't too much of an issue, especially if you're getting hit a lot because you're slow to start off and especially if you don't give your opponent cards to work with either. You don't need to crit at all that much, but you'll probably need to evade. And Fliers make great bond fodder most of the time, which you should be running. 

Chrom has a lot of potential to be seen. It'll be great.

7 hours ago, SalShich10N said:

How do you combat Aggro in this game, though?

Well, you have to play passively for a majority of the game.
This means attacking enemy units that aren't the Main Character, always clearing the field, never hitting the enemy Main Character, until you're at a point where it's safe with you having a ton of advantage in terms of hand and field and you're opponent has next to nothing.

It's fine if they still have five orbs and you have none, as long as you aren't dead.
Once you've established a decent field, you want to keep maintaining that advantage and hit them once a turn (kill them slowly) or rush them down quickly when they're on 2-3 orbs left (if you feel its safe enough to do so).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am  new to this forum. And I am interested in playing this TCG. Could you guys tell me various things on this TCG? 

How is it played? 

How widely played is this game? 

How costly is it? 

How does the metagame look like? 

And do most of you use a deck with a playstyle you like OR a  Lord you like? 

Tell me, let me hear some stories! ^^

8 hours ago, Sarasvati said:

Hi, I am  new to this forum. And I am interested in playing this TCG. Could you guys tell me various things on this TCG? 

How is it played? 

If you need an introduction to the card game, or need to look at the rules, I recommend reading the rules on the Wiki -
http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Comprehensive_Rules_of_FE_Cipher

Or watching a video explaining the rules of the game -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcYnZBeKu7M by DifferentFight
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmqnI0U0yfU by Cipherfaire (A channel dedicated to the Cipher Metagame)

How widely played is this game? 

Because the card game is restricted to Japan right now, the TCG isn't widely played outside of Japan - you'll find a few smaller communities here and there though.
It is played quite a fair amount in Japan of course. Japan loves their card games.

How costly is it? 

The game can cost quite a fair bit, depending on how much you're willing to invest into your Deck. It can range from something as small as 1000-2000 yen and go as far as 50000 yen. Google that currentcy and compare it with yours if you don't know :p

How does the metagame look like? 

It doesn't change too drastically nowadays but it may soon change with the upcoming Series.

It is shifted mostly towards aggressive play because you don't really get punished for aggressive play too much.

And do most of you use a deck with a playstyle you like OR a  Lord you like? 

Both if possible. I'm playing Mia with the idea of mostly gaining advantage as much as I can. Fun deck overall (and I like the Lord).

C6uzPIuU0AAB_lO.jpg

First place decklist from a recent local Singapore tournament.

The decklist:

- Princess of Isaach, Ayra (Cost 1) [Main Character / Lord] x 1
- Fierce Lady of the Blades, Ayra (Cost 2) x 2
- Peerless Astra, Ayra (Cost 3) x 2
- Blade Princess of Astra, Ayra (Cost 4) x 4

- Prince of Grannvale, Seliph (Cost 1) x 4

Main character of the deck. I also listed Seliph in here because his main purpose is to be used alongside Ayra without directly bonding Ayra herself - bonding Seliph instead because he counts as Ayra while in the Bond Zone, effectively increasing your count of 'Ayras' but just in the bonds.

Ayra's Cost 1 is very strong in being able to secure hits in the early stages of the game, reaching as much as 60 attack after the first turn.

The real gem however, Ayra's Cost 4 is threatening throughout all stages of the game. If she successfully defeats enemies with an attack, she can mill 5 cards from her deck, and if any of those milled cards are Ayras - you may destroy one enemy unit for each milled Ayra. This is special as she can cut down enemy units as she can basically ignore everyone but the Main Character, and still manage to take them down. 
Alongside that threat, if an enemy unit avoids, Ayra can untap herself by flipping an Ayra in your bond area (this is when Seliph comes into play, when he is used as flip fodder for Ayra), allowing Ayra to end a game swiftly when your opponent has no Orbs but has a ton of avoids.

Daughter of the Lorca Tribe, Lyn (Cost 2) x 4
Spirited Noblewoman, Lyn (Cost 4) x 4

It's hard to imagine Lyn's (Cost 2) effect going off and having a fairly big impact, so we'll ignore that part of the card.
Lyn's (Cost 2) support skill gives 10 attack for each sword unit in your bonds at the time, which will probably comprise of Ayras and Seliphs anyway, which by the way happen to be sword units. Personally I'm a bit iffy about it but it works I suppose.

Lyn (Cost 4)'s support skill is mostly the one that comes into play - 10 attack for each face-up bond. Since Ayra doesn't really flip any bonds until the last turns of the game, it would make sense to use Lyn right?

Heroic Inheritor of the Blaze, Eliwood (Cost 5) x 4

Allows you to deploy big units while being supported by one and also provides a high amount of support if you're playing high cost units. Win-win situation I'd say.

Crafty Dragon General, Narcian (Cost 4) x 3

Flier fodder, bond fodder... and messes with the opponent's supports and their hand if you have less cards than them. What's not to love?

Pious Mage, Nino (Cost 4) x 2

Grants advantage by being a costless healer for your Main Character. More crits, more Ayras in bonds... etc. If I was them, I would play more copies, but yeah, understandable if you don't have more copies (lel shelling out 5000 yen for a Nino, nope).

Maiden of Destiny, Deirdre (Cost 4) x 3

Grants advantage by unflipping bonds. If you manage to get off Ayra's untapping skill earlier in the game, this is where you'll be able to recover it. Bond unflipping in general is great to have.

The Flame of Prophecy, Roy (Cost 4) x 2

Can't say that I agree with Roy, but with the way the deck is built, will probably work out in the end when you stack for support values.

Little Sister of the Lionheart, Lachesis (Cost 3) x 4

Now this is where I'll have to disagree lel - Lachesis really doesn't accomplish much in general, just remains a field presence if she manages to hit something. I would play something else over this, even more fliers.

Carefree Little Lady, Clarine (Cost 3) x 3

Another healer, but she only costs 1 bond to perform the standard heal. The catch being she needs to be in the same row as the unit you want to heal back. Great card overall.

Hero of Grannvale, Sigurd (Cost 3) x 2

Well... good if you manage to get all those Bond Skill cards into the Bond Area. Otherwise subpar.

Fresh Pegasus, Emma (Cost 1) x 3

One of the best Bond Skills in the game - and on a flier. Utility of moving units by flipping Emma herself. Good choice.

The Spirit Forest's Maiden, Deirdre (Cost 1) x 3

A really good card to deploy out. Swaps a bond for possibly an Ayra or a Seliph from the Retreat, which is better than outright placing one of those from your hand.

While I don't agree with all of the deck choices, the deck overall is pretty solid. Nice work.

On 3/14/2017 at 7:21 AM, TheVinceKnight said:

If you need an introduction to the card game, or need to look at the rules, I recommend reading the rules on the Wiki -
http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Comprehensive_Rules_of_FE_Cipher

Or watching a video explaining the rules of the game -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcYnZBeKu7M by DifferentFight
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmqnI0U0yfU by Cipherfaire (A channel dedicated to the Cipher Metagame)

Because the card game is restricted to Japan right now, the TCG isn't widely played outside of Japan - you'll find a few smaller communities here and there though.
It is played quite a fair amount in Japan of course. Japan loves their card games.

The game can cost quite a fair bit, depending on how much you're willing to invest into your Deck. It can range from something as small as 1000-2000 yen and go as far as 50000 yen. Google that currentcy and compare it with yours if you don't know :p

It doesn't change too drastically nowadays but it may soon change with the upcoming Series.

It is shifted mostly towards aggressive play because you don't really get punished for aggressive play too much.

Both if possible. I'm playing Mia with the idea of mostly gaining advantage as much as I can. Fun deck overall (and I like the Lord).

Hi, thx for the reply. Don't worry, I am quite familiar with JPY since I play several card games prior to this. 

The price of the deck is... well, not really surprising. Meaning other card games also fall under those price range. 

I saw your post on the first page and noticed there are quite a lof of decks listed there. Are those decklists currently good? I wanted to play Lilina deck since she is my favourite character in the game. Have some of her cards. How does her deck look like? Is it an aggressive deck? Or is it a control deck? 

And I am curious when you say the game shifted into mostly aggressive play as you don't really get punished for it, why is it? Lacking mass removals? 

Edited by Sarasvati

1 hour ago, Sarasvati said:

I saw your post on the first page and noticed there are quite a lof of decks listed there. Are those decklists currently good? I wanted to play Lilina deck since she is my favourite character in the game. Have some of her cards. How does her deck look like? Is it an aggressive deck? Or is it a control deck? 

And I am curious when you say the game shifted into mostly aggressive play as you don't really get punished for it, why is it? Lacking mass removals? 

Decks range from average to good. I personally wouldn't say they're all good. 
Lilina is definitely a slow control mage deck based on having advantage. She isn't the best at it but she's okay at it.

It's mostly aggressive play because of how the game works - you don't get punished for attacking (you don't lose your units if you don't have enough attack to beat their units, for example). There's a lot of cards that promote an aggressive playstyle as well.

5 hours ago, TheVinceKnight said:

Decks range from average to good. I personally wouldn't say they're all good. 
Lilina is definitely a slow control mage deck based on having advantage. She isn't the best at it but she's okay at it.

It's mostly aggressive play because of how the game works - you don't get punished for attacking (you don't lose your units if you don't have enough attack to beat their units, for example). There's a lot of cards that promote an aggressive playstyle as well.

Hmmm, what are the best deck for each aggro and control? 

3 hours ago, TheVinceKnight said:

Don't know to be honest. Aggro is actually starting to fall off, though, to be fair.

Interesting. I do notice though that female Corrin based deck tends to be contender during each set. Is she really that good? And is that deck expensive? 

And this is out of topic, but while we're at it, is there any site that seels FE Cipher single cards? 

On 3/15/2017 at 4:55 AM, Sarasvati said:

Hmmm, what are the best deck for each aggro and control? 

Aggro: Selkie
Control: Depends. Sothe has a unique control ability. If you are wondering who is the best mage, Elise. And there's Grima now too, who has the same playstyle as a mage. For MCs that pull units, Geoffery and Quan. Ayra also sort of counts as control through (luck based) destruction.
Marth can do both styles as well.

17 hours ago, Sarasvati said:

Interesting. I do notice though that female Corrin based deck tends to be contender during each set. Is she really that good? And is that deck expensive? 

And this is out of topic, but while we're at it, is there any site that seels FE Cipher single cards? 

F Corrin has been a good choice since set 3, but nowadays I think she's a bit overrated. And yes the deck is expensive if you want to make the best version (needs 4 SR Deidre).

Check out the Merchandise guide's section on singles.

Edited by Foodies

On 3/17/2017 at 6:29 AM, Foodies said:

Aggro: Selkie
Control: Depends. Sothe has a unique control ability. If you are wondering who is the best mage, Elise. And there's Grima now too, who has the same playstyle as a mage. For MCs that pull units, Geoffery and Quan. Ayra also sort of counts as control through (luck based) destruction.
Marth can do both styles as well.

F Corrin has been a good choice since set 3, but nowadays I think she's a bit overrated. And yes the deck is expensive if you want to make the best version (needs 4 SR Deidre).

Check out the Merchandise guide's section on singles.

Thank you for the information. Is Ayra the deck that depends on revealing Lyn for support and get crazy atk power? 

4 hours ago, Sarasvati said:

Thank you for the information. Is Ayra the deck that depends on revealing Lyn for support and get crazy atk power? 

Ayra depends on revealing copies of Ayra to destroy units. She doesn't really need Lyn, but I suppose she is one of the MCs that can benefit slightly more off of Lyn since she doesn't always flip her bonds until end game. I personally wouldn't play Lyn in any deck at this time other than just wanting to MC Lyn lol.

• 1 month later...

So what's become more occurring in the Meta? (Series 8)
To keep it short and simple, Awakening (Blue) has become a lot stronger thanks to it's new support: Cards to note are - Sacred Sovereign of Hope, Chrom and Undead King of Despair, Chrom and most of all - Grima herself.

Chrom himself has two different ways of building his deck now, focusing on the Risen army or class change consistency, where the Class Change Chrom performs a lot better overall in comparison to his zombie counterpart.

However, it is Grima herself who boosts the zombie deck to the next level - When you start off as Robin (Female) and level up into Grima, the game slowly spirals into despair. The way you want to play Grima is similar to a mage-stall deck: You focus on gaining advantage and the opponent slowly drains in advantage, leaving them in a situation where they cannot destroy all of your units and you in a situation where you gain massive advantage each turn, thanks to the constant flow of Risen being added to your hand each turn. Cards that benefit Grima are basically good healers like Clarine and Nino, who use minimal amounts of bonds (Nino uses no bonds to heal) to grab a copy of Grima back and Wicked Wings, Aversa, who grants hand advantage off the Risen (you should play Aversa in all Risen related decks).

Holy War Flag (or Yellow) has no particularly interesting Main Character builds but provides a lot more support for the older Yellow decks, and any other deck that wishes to use Yellow as a secondary colour.

Other notable cards are - Tine? (Tinni or Tini, I don't know who she is actually), for being playable in practically every deck by being draw power fodder, Julia who can grab any Yellow card from the deck for your Bond Area when she destroys an enemy, and Seliph for being an additional / situational bond flipper.

I've noticed a new Gerome (Cost 1) flier around, and thought that Gerome (Cost 4) from Series 1 may make a few new handy additions to a deck, but I suppose Gerome in the end is just another flying beatstick, which shown by other flying beatsticks such as Scarlet - don't seem to be special at all in any way. Fliers with Winged Deliverer seem to be the standard top pick for most decks for their Flier usage (and it has been like that since Series 2 I suppose).

• 1 month later...

Quick question:

if I run an ayra deck (purple and yellow), would it make sense to run Al from box 9 in the deck too since his ability gives astra with a topdeck as well? Originally I wanted to put 2-4 copies of him in my deck but I wanna ask for others opinions 

On 6/17/2017 at 11:09 AM, Motts said:

Quick question:

if I run an ayra deck (purple and yellow), would it make sense to run Al from box 9 in the deck too since his ability gives astra with a topdeck as well? Originally I wanted to put 2-4 copies of him in my deck but I wanna ask for others opinions 

Quicker question: How are you double-stacking to proc Al SR's effect?

Not sure what that means but I think I would have 4 copies of 1 cost al and 4 of the SR al and use purple effects like Roy that let me draw a card and put a card in my hand on top of my deck

37 minutes ago, ScarletFlame said:

Quicker question: How are you double-stacking to proc Al SR's effect?

Not sure what that means but I think I would have 4 copies of 1 cost al and 4 of the SR al and use purple effects like Roy that let me draw a card and put a card in my hand on top of my deck

1 hour ago, Motts said:

Not sure what that means

Let me explain.

Al SR's effect activates after he attacks. If you mill Al, you untap him. You get only one mill.
Think about that. When he attacks, you mill once for support. So you have to stack (place a card on top of the deck) twice, in order to rig Al's skill.

Edited by ScarletFlame