Name changes/translation choices you really like

Katie

This s for discussing name changes and such that you really like, be they fan or official.

Draug: It was nice of NOA to realize this guys name is literally guard backwards. In fact, n every language his name is that languages equivalent of guard spelled backwards.

Legion: 8-4 did a brilliant job when they gave this guy an English name. He's named after the famous bible quote "I am Legion, for we are many." which fits in perfectly given his defining trait is having a bunch of clones. Much better than his JP name Roro, which afaik is just nonsense.

Ulster: This was brilliant name change, as not only did they give him a name easy to pronounce, but retains the irish mythology reference by naming him after the Ulster cycle.

Belhalla: This one is brilliant. You see, it's Japanese name, Barhara, is an obvious reference to Valhalla without directly being named it. (btw, Valhalla would be written in Japanese as Varuhara) 4 realized is and came up with an English name that achieves a similar effect.

Erin: This is what bookofholsety calls Fury/Ferry in his translation of FE4. At first I was like "wtf?" but after reading his explanation, I thought it was brilliant. He had a problem with the namess Fury and Feryy, because neither are real names and the latter doesn't even match the katakana. So he decided to pull an "Ulster", and after realizing that another name for the Greek Furies(what Fury is named after) is the Erinyes, which happens to have a real, common name in it. Thus he dubbed her Erin, changing the name whilst keeping the reference.

Those are just some examples, how 'bot you guys.

paraloug 1 in awakening from i am a weakling to sickle to sword i just dont like how the title in japanese sort of states that donnel sucks emeryns paralouge to the happy girl to a hard miracle the japanese name sounds weird to me serena to severa because she acts more severe then serene marc to morgan because gender neutral

priam

so apparently Ike was originally going to be named Paris

you know, after the (mythological) King of Troy in the Trojan War and all

so in the Japanese version of Awakening they named Ike's descendant Paris

which is pretty cool in itself

but his English name is Priam

the name of Paris' father

which is cool because of how Priam is related to Ike

in addition Priam was Hector's father although that's probably just because of Ike being initially named Paris, since Ike's design I believe is supposed to be slightly inspired by Hector's so it makes sense that they would name him after Hector's brother. In fact, that's pretty clever as well, so it's kinda disappointing they didn't stick with it.

but yeah Priam's name was pretty cleverly chosen

Asseray to Artur, Coma to Cormag, Xyst to Gerik, Kilroy to Rhys, Lofa to Rolf, Prague to Petrine, Elaice to Ilyana, Lay to Ranulf and Kachua to Catria are some of my favorite name changes, mostly because they seem strange or unfitting for them.

Ulster: This was brilliant name change, as not only did they give him a name easy to pronounce, but retains the irish mythology reference by naming him after the Ulster cycle.

It was easy to pronounce if you're like me and just said Skasha for like 8 years :(

Asseray to Artur, Coma to Cormag, Xyst to Gerik, Kilroy to Rhys, Lofa to Rolf, Prague to Petrine, Elaice to Ilyana, Lay to Ranulf and Kachua to Catria are some of my favorite name changes, mostly because they seem strange or unfitting for them.

"Coma" is actually Colm's Japanese name.

The entire concept behind Lyn's name was really well-done, IMO, because it translates so very nicely. Ruthea to Lucius was a huge help, as well Luchino to Lucia. Tiamat to Titania amused me, as well. Honorable mention to Bord and Cord, because they're a couple of woodcutters with wooden names.

I'm fond of Caeda. I was actually anti-Caeda for a while, but then I started thinking how the Latin cae spelling fits nicely with Akaneia's theme of Latin-inspired names (like Marth, Minerva, Caesar). I prefer Catria over Katua for the same reason.

Honorable mention to Bord and Cord, because they're a couple of woodcutters with wooden names.

It's so hard to tell which one is Saji and which one is Maji though. :(

Edited by Hattusili I

I like Imhulu instead of maph. It sounds evil AND is a mesopotamian mythology reference to an evil wind AND sounds kind of like "nullify" which is what it does, whereas maph just sounds kind of stupid in english.

As for translation choices i dislike, there is Nosferatu, which simply doesn't work in any of the games where it is light magic the levin sword is another one, because it is the same as the unlocalised name of something entirely different (lewyn).

In both cases, the translaters did not bother to think about how a translation would jive with other things in the series, which came back to bite them in a sequel.

Edited by sirmola

I personally am fond of how they went from Tiamo to Cordelia. It's a very nice name.

Some already mentioned ones I agree with are Imhullu and Caeda (though that one's debatable as it led to the abomination of a pronunciation that is "Kay-dah" which makes GameXPlain and Did You Know Gaming's videos on Fire Emblem nigh unwatchable)

Gotta agree there, especially Asseray->Artur, because lolAsseray.

Narshen -> Narcian

A wonderful change. Fits his personality perfectly.

I'm not sure this one was a name change, as his name is still pronounced roughly the same. do agree that it was an excellent way to spell his name though, and fits his personality perfectly.
Speaking of FE6, I'm going to add Thany->Shanna, because wth kind of a name is Thany?
Edited by Matthewtheman

Ray to Raigh, it makes his name closer to his twin's name.

Erik to Eirika, because Erik is more of a male name, and Eirika fits her personality more. Also there was already another character named Erik.

Celice to Seliph, Celice was too close to Celica.

Deick to Deke. Dieck is... an unfortunate spelling.