Should FE Fates have reintroduced RD's multi-army system?

ruadath

I haven't played this game yet and don't really know much about the story, but I could imagine that this game could have more potential and be more interesting if instead of being divided into several campaigns (or maybe just the Invisible Kingdom version), the game featured the ability to take control of both (three?) armies during different chapters in a mechanic similar to RD.

For those of you who have played the game and/or are familiar with the storyline, how do you think this would have worked out? I thought it might be something interesting for you guys to discuss (and me to watch, lol).

Tag spoilers, please!

I think perhaps you'd run into an issue with the royals frequently being split (and thus your army) pretty consistently. The side Kamui's on wouldn't have this issue because Kamui unites them, but the opposite side very rarely has a point where they're all in one place at the same time.

There's also just some narrative stuff on Nohr and Hoshido that would pose an issue, not to mention Kamui's position as a protagonist, instead of Kamui, Marx, and Ryouma being whatever the three person variant of that is (and even that would cause an imbalance on Nohr/Hoshido routes).

Perhaps if FE14 were just IK, you bumped Marx and Ryouma up to protag status, and somehow write their armies to unify instead of splinter into Kamui's?

I think it's interesting in theory, but it would require a major overhaul of the preexisting narrative.

And since everyone's frequently fighting against each other... I think it could pose some problems...

Edited by blinkingbrave

Fates is already subject to breeding being thrown in for the sake of it--I really wouldn't like to see multi-aligned armies like in FE10 thrown in as well just for the sake of it, but if they can have a purposeful reason, then no reason against it.

Edited by Celice

I can't say I was overly fond of it in RD. A game that needs to split up its cast is a cast too large. I'd rather they just focus on one group than do the "epic scale" approach.

I guess if you had to do it, IK would be the one for it.

fe14's story really isn't compatible with it at all in its present state (arguably it'd be more justified in fe8, or maybe fe4, but those would also be big stretches). i'd like to see it return someday, but preferably in a game whose setup actually calls for it. 14's setup decidedly doesn't

Edited by bookofholsety

Oh look. Another idea, to bad IS don't freggin listen to the west, (seriously now) but I have to say how Kamui would fit in all this. If he chose one side, what about the other which you swap too? Would it be like a sit-com of the other nation doing missions because Kamui left and now they're just moving on? Idk.

fe14's story really isn't compatible with it at all in its present state (arguably it'd be more justified in fe8, or maybe fe4, but those would also be big stretches). i'd like to see it return someday, but preferably in a game whose setup actually calls for it. 14's setup decidedly doesn't

Yeah, FE2/RD split it would work fairly well with FE8. (FE8 would need a handful more characters though, I think)

I always felt the Gaiden/RD system could have worked with FE6, Roy and Lilina split up to deal with the various things, Roy with the isles and the war, and Lilina with the political turmoil of Lycia and Ostia

But I don't think it would work for Fates