SPRITE QUESTIONS: "What are you working on currently?"

ErrantDShepherd

Current Question(s):

Q5. 'What are you working on currently?'

Previous Question(s):

Q4. 'What styles of spriting have you tried? What would you like to learn/try?'

Original Post

Been enjoying the SALVAGED general chat and wondering whether a general serenes creative chat could be cool? Or something people would enjoy?

---

Maybe subchats for the different sections? But something like the current Serenes chat interface using our Serenes accounts to allow people their privacy... And to come on whenever they want?

Does this seem like something fun? Or interesting? Like I would love advice from some of the Great artists on here about mugs or just art in general.

Or some of the fangames programmers and concept people on stuff there too.

---

Just curious what people think of the idea? :o

Edited by ErrantShepherd

I would like this because I feel bad repeatedly bugging the same people for crit lol. I'm a lot more active on Skype than I am on Serenes as well and would love to talk to more artists :)

(Mew, would you like to join us? Will link you to SALVAGED general spriting chat via PM. My handle is errantshepherd.)

Anyways... so I am seeing a lot of views but not much response aside from Mew? Is this just not something people need/want?

'Cause honestly, if not that is completely cool... Just want to get some sense of if I should bother trying to set these up or not? :)

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

Sorry, I've been doing nothing else but lurking lately .-.

But yeah, I really like the idea of own chat group, but I dunno how active I would be though, unfortunately :<

Yeah...my thinking is it could be perhaps an over-arching creative section chat(I consider fangames perhaps part of creative... Overlap)? But using the Serenes ipchat thing to avoid people having to share personal info on Skype.

So... Been seeing a lot of views on this thread... Not a lot of comments... Still don't quite know exactly what that means.

-----

I guess... If I want a community questions thread may as well start it here?

So... Welcome to the Community Pool open questions thread!

Feel free to ask/answer whatever question you like, whether the question of the week or something someone asks. Please try to answer/ask at least one. You decide whichever. :)

Questions should try to relate in some way to spriting.

----

First question. 'What was your first sprite and what started you spriting?'

8017be264ed0cc87287f71d28c8b817c.png

-For me, it was rpgmaker sprites, and just enjoying sketching and art stuff in general. So I started drawing pixel art and eventually editing sprites....and here I am over 10 years later still doing that stuff... Cause I love art, and sprites. I am a spriter. I am a pixel artist. It's a part of my identity. :)

These little guys were my first delve into pixel art of recoverable memory.

h4TJmCi.png

I don't know why I started, I guess I saw pixel art in games and wanted to try it out for myself.

AeoMugandMini.png

An older recreation of my first mug, which was, unsurprisingly, AK.

The actual original version was a JPG and used both pure black and white.

I got into spriting after I started playing FE7. I think I just decided on a whim to look up FE mugs when I came across FESS and CO Raptor's splicing tutorial sometime in 2005/2006 (not sure). Got started from there, but found the FESS community pretty awful, so I jumped ship when I got a random recruitment PM from NintendFan, who invited me to FESpritez. FESpritez was probably the most instrumental in getting me to really sprite, and having some friendly rivalry with Merc, Serif, etc. helped me push my limits and keep my interest going.

Edited by Sphalerite

All super cool sprites there guys. Thanks so much for sharing them! (Need to see if I can find something older than what I have shown in my own gallery.)

Anyways, so new question for the week.

second question: What sprite are you most proud of?

nHSAWX.png

-For me it would likely have to be this guy here. Bairden. A completely scratch battle sprite and mug set. My very first complete one of those. Did for a Merc run comp on FESpritez back in March '08.

I am proud of how the battle sprite turned out... The mug needs a lot of work, hair, face, and body especially, not to mention the shading. ;-;

But this sprite got me to challenge myself a bit... And do mainly scratch sprites and pixel art. THAT is something I am very proud of. :)

----

How about you guys? Any sprites you are proud of? Or any questions about sprites you wanna ask? Go right ahead! :D

I'm proud of my very first sprite, Zhen (original on left, improved on right):

xJnZSJ3.pngQUbaUCd.png

I also like Zack, who I made around... idk, 7th or 8th grade?

17EvRqv.png

btw these are free to use

Most proud? oh man that's hard...

So many come to mind but in the end I have to say-

Pe1OuiN.gif

My first battlesprite to have a complete set of animations and three weapons to boot.

(normal, crit, ranged, ranged crit, dodge X3 =15 + unarmed dodge: 16, + map sprite, up, down, side, idle, focus= 21 unique animations)

Oh I missed the earlier Q, I'll answer both~

KEVgi.png

I think this was my first go at spriting, started cus I like pixel art/FE graphics but at the time didn't think it had a lot of applications for modern gaming, how silly I was~

c5b86eb434.png

I'm pretty proud of this, problem is I tend to go through phases of caring about Warcraft. I could seriously care less about Garrosh now (is he dead now or something i don't even know) so it's disappointing that this is just fanart but oh well. I'm also proud of some animated pixel stuff I made for a rhythm game about demon summoning but i'm too lazy to find the gifs.

0PyzmR4.png

I can't link my actual most proud one since that's Dream of Five spoilers and will be hidden until next release, but have Essa and more importantly, the dragon

Doodles of the character in question: [x][x] (second one is more accurate to build, first is just quick doodles so they make her looks smaller than she should)

As for first, I'll post both first splice and first custom in one picture

t0e8zjS.png

Same character, you might recognise her if you played earlier patches of dof (in vamp's far more glorious edit version). She'll come back, but look entirely different. It's been 5 years and there's been many major design changes done.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I can't pinpoint what the first image I did that contained actual spriting was (two computers ago, and all, plus terrible file organization on my part), but I think I've found the first sprite image that I touched and worked on: an extremely basic recolor of the Lance General battle sprite that somehow, some way, didn't use the default MS Paint colors. (Didn't use multiples of 8, though. :/)

I got started because, after I first finished FE7, my buddy and I started scouring the internet trying to find websites to see if we might have missed anything in the game, looking for secrets, etc. and stumbled upon FESS. Someone there had a signature with a custom battle scene (using the not-released-in-NA Sacred Stones battle template) featuring Limstella fighting Sonia, and extremely naive me thought that it was hidden content in FE7 that I missed. Once I learned that it was "fake", I got the desire to make my own such scenes.

Considering my vast lack of an artistic background, I think I'm going to have to go with the battle template that I did that Agro is using in Eternal Bond as the sprite that I'm most proud of. (Screen cap from one of his video uploads, because, frankly, I don't want to run the risk of it circulating around - at least as a screencap, if someone really wants to steal it, they'll have to reconstruct it themselves first.) Outside of using a "template" consisting of one of the original battle templates to place the UI elements, I built everything from scratch (with some C&C help, obviously :D), came up with all of the palettes on my own, etc. While I do make all of my icons and such from scratch too, they just don't compare given the larger scale of the template. (I wish I was artistically inclined enough to do stuff that was on a much higher tier, but since I'm not, I'll be proud of what I'm actually able to produce.)

As far as *Who* inspires me: Bwdyeti, Blazer, Merc and others who have made these amazing works before me. Both in sprites and hacks. I just try to match up to their level of polish.

And *What* inspires me: Disney movies and Nintendo games. Their level of perfection and fine-tuning always pushes me forward.

My biggest design inspirations are probably various wuxia novels/dramas/games, dynasty warriors, and Assassin's Creed, in terms of character design. I draw a lot from strictly historical designs as well.

In particular, I feel although Ubi gets a lot of shit on and most of which is pretty deserving, their art department is pretty fucking on point. I don't think there's a design I've been disappointed at, and the industry at large could learn from them in regards to female costume design, in particular.

When I was sorting out the character designs for each country and trying to solidify a consistent aesthetic for each country's look in Dream of Five recently, i had one country's designs modeled after Renaissance Italy and Roman aesthetics taking inspiration from properly historical costumes and AC2/Brotherhood. Really fucking loved the look.

Cool cool... I will answer the questions myself in a bit... I swear! XD

BTW guys, really feel free to ask questions yourself. Or respond to other peoples posts, you know? Take a dip in the pool if you wish. ;)

Current Question(s):
Q4. 'What styles of spriting have you tried? What would you like to learn/try?'

-I have tried a variety of styles. Final Fantasy, Megaman, Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, Mario, Sunset Riders, 16 bit, 8bit, 32bit(which is really just 16colors anyways), RPG styles of various sorts... Battle Sprites, Portraits, Overworlds... lots of different ones.

I think I would like to learn more Fighting Game style spriting? Those are fun. Would love to be able to be as dynamic and exciting in my animations. Hell animations in general are something I want to develop. :o