General Warriors Thread: Persona 5 Scramble

Jedi

So I've noticed we have a fair few players of the various Warriors games on the site, I felt like making this thread. It can work as a general discussion/social thread of sorts about the games, discussing or aiding each other.

Now I started with Dynasty Warriors 3 on the PS2, and I got so wrapped up into the historical aspects of the games that I'm now a somewhat competent self proclaimed historian of the Three Kingdoms Era and Late Han.

I've played just about every Dynasty Warriors I own 3 to 8, I've played the first 2 Samurai Warriors, I've played all 3 Warriors Orochi games, I also really enjoyed Hyrule Warriors. (Still am and am hyped for the Legends bonuses). I really need to look into Ken's Rage and Dynasty Warriors Gundam.

So enjoy yourselves and discuss anything, even historical talk.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The games are fun. I've mostly played Dynasty Warriors, but have played WO3 as well. And Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. I liked Sengoku Basara when I played it, too, but that is Capcom.

From what I'm to understand, they're waiting to announce DW9 and hopefully revamp the game (it is Koei we are talking about, though), a little like DW7 since it was quite well received when it came out. I'll probably be relatively interested when it comes out.

I played DW 3-5, SW 2 (and a tiny bit of empires, I got both games from a friend's bro for free) and 3. I'm not sure if I'm gonna play another warriors game, but if I do it'll probably be hyrule warriors for the 3ds. DW 3 and 5 and SW 2 are the highlights of the series for me as far as the ones I have played.

I've also read 3 kingdoms. I wanna read it again but I don't have it anymore. May buy it again someday.

My favorite characters speaking historically are probably Jiang Wei, Gan Ning, Zhang Liao and Sun Jian. Oh, and Zhu Xu of course. Wu is my favorite kingdom. The only Warriors character I don't like that I can think of is Lu Meng...I simply feel he is particularly generic and uninteresting in terms of personality and moveset in the games I've played.

...Lu Xun is so overpowered in 3. Can outrun red hare and has crowd clear death attack.

EDIT-In VS mode in 3, I've found that important elements include:

-Using your bow and arrow to fuck with your opponent.

-Charging musou if you have an opening to do so.

-If you're Zhuge Liang or Sima Yi, your musou kicks ass.

-Try and strategically dip your HP to the point that you can use true musou.

-Try and avoid letting your enemy reach that point before you do.

Oh and if you do that one big officer melee VS map, being able to ride a horse can allow you to dominate your opponent somewhat.

EDIT2-These are just things I remember being useful, I'm not sure if they would actually work well against a really good player.

Edited by Severian

I really like the system WO3 has, and Dynasty Warriors 8 made sure we had no more cloned movesets from 7, and yet kept the dual weapon system I can only wonder what 9 may bring, and of course I like to think of what historical battles we may see that haven't been told, along with yet another retelling of the more popular ones like Chi Bi and such.

I also think DW7 stepped the bar up in terms of telling the narratives, I really like how they are getting a little more serious on how they are telling the story/history.

Also of all the 3 Kingdoms I like Early Wu and the Later Shu most, my favorite characters are probably Sun Ce, Zhou Yu, Zhuge Liang and Jiang Wei.

Edited by Jedi

Man, I loved DW3 but it has not aged well at all since I went back to play it... fantastic voice acting aside.

Favourites? Wei and Wu, leaning Wei. Shu are generally portrayed as being huge dorks, both Koei and the actual Romance of the Three Kingdoms are kind of to blame.

Cao Cao even if he's a dick, Xu Huang, Dian Wei, Wang Yi, Gan Ning, Zhou Tai (even if he's just le edge)

Even if I don't really like Shu, Pang Tong is the man though. I actually like most of the fictional characters for Shu, too.

Edited by Tryhard

I've been around since Dynasty Warriors 4 XL, I probably have starter bias since I still call that one my favorite, even though my preference is Samurai Warriors. Also played Every SW except 4, WO 1 and 2, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1 and 2, and some of Ken's Rage.

I played DW 3-5, SW 2 (and a tiny bit of empires, I got both games from a friend's bro for free) and 3. I'm not sure if I'm gonna play another warriors game, but if I do it'll probably be hyrule warriors for the 3ds. DW 3 and 5 and SW 2 are the highlights of the series for me as far as the ones I have played.

I would say play DW7, for the story presentation, if anything.

i'm such a huge fan of the warrior games i dunno where to start

been playing this obscure joan of arc game that my lover got me for my birthday, as well as samurai warriors Chronicles 3, i kinda wanna get a cheap system so i can play some of the other ones again.

also Wei/Oda for life

Bladestorm the Hundred Years War? She pops up in Warriors Orochi 3 too.

Wei is pretty cool yeah, all 3 kingdoms have their awesome people so its really hard to pick a favorite lol, also yesss Oda. Although I was always a fan of the Azai clan too, shame they don't last long :(.

Also @Tryhard, yeah Luo Guanzhong was pretty bias towards Shu, but I still like them, Liu Bei regardless of how he's portrayed, gets serious props from me, for being the leader of a wandering faction for so long and eventually becoming one of the most powerful forces.

Edited by Jedi

I've been around since 8 for Dynasty and 4 for Samurai, so I'm still new. I've played all three Orochi games and enjoy a little bit of Basara.

favorite characters are Nobunaga Oda, Cao Cao, Sima Yi, Jia Chong and probably Mitsunari Ishida

I really like the system WO3 has, and Dynasty Warriors 8 made sure we had no more cloned movesets from 7, and yet kept the dual weapon system I can only wonder what 9 may bring, and of course I like to think of what historical battles we may see that haven't been told, along with yet another retelling of the more popular ones like Chi Bi and such.

I also think DW7 stepped the bar up in terms of telling the narratives, I really like how they are getting a little more serious on how they are telling the story/history.

Also of all the 3 Kingdoms I like Early Wu and the Later Shu most, my favorite characters are probably Sun Ce, Zhou Yu, Zhuge Liang and Jiang Wei.

WO3's system is neat, but it does have cloned movesets, to an extent.

I love the story of DW7, probably the best story the games have had so far. 8 also had a good one, but it focused more on characters than anything?

i'm such a huge fan of the warrior games i dunno where to start

been playing this obscure joan of arc game that my lover got me for my birthday, as well as samurai warriors Chronicles 3, i kinda wanna get a cheap system so i can play some of the other ones again.

also Wei/Oda for life

Bladestorm? Which one?

Trivia: Joan of Arc wasn't that popular until she appeared in WO3

YOU SIR, HAVE THE BEST OPINION

Samurai Warriors favorites are probably Nagamasa, Nobunaga, Nene (Because she's hilarious), and Oichi (She's kinda broken in 2 and WO).

in Hyrule Warriors meanwhile my favorite characters to play as are Lana, Sheik and Zelda.

I loved Nobunaga's ability to charge his sword or w/e in SW2 and do more crazy attacks. And Ginchiyo was able to as well, right?

Ina might be my favorite SW character. I also like Date and Kenshin a lot. Kenshin is fucking crazy, it's great.

I loved Nobunaga's ability to charge his sword or w/e in SW2 and do more crazy attacks. And Ginchiyo was able to as well, right?

Ina might be my favorite SW character. I also like Date and Kenshin a lot. Kenshin is fucking crazy, it's great.

That's correct, yeah. They can still do it now, I believe.

Kenshin is pretty great, I prefer him compared to Guan Yu as God of War

actually its not bladestorm, tho i should try it out eventually, its 'Wars and Warriors, Joan of Arc"

but hell yeah, there aren't too many characters i actually dislike, let alone factions, but Wei/Oda is my favorite of both era's.

tho i do have that feeling that Koei really wants to branch out with Shu but feels like it has to be as accurate to the book as possible.

they've already fleshed out nearly every clan in samurai warriors, meanwhile in dynasty warriors none of the other empires comes close to how much Wei's been developed, which i do hope will change with time, i think they've nearly perfected Jin, Wu's on the "one step forward two steps back" and Shu, i already mentioned that they'd be better if they had more freedom to do what they wanted.

actually its not bladestorm, tho i should try it out eventually, its 'Wars and Warriors, Joan of Arc"

but hell yeah, there aren't too many characters i actually dislike, let alone factions, but Wei/Oda is my favorite of both era's.

tho i do have that feeling that Koei really wants to branch out with Shu but feels like it has to be as accurate to the book as possible.

they've already fleshed out nearly every clan in samurai warriors, meanwhile in dynasty warriors none of the other empires comes close to how much Wei's been developed, which i do hope will change with time, i think they've nearly perfected Jin, Wu's on the "one step forward two steps back" and Shu, i already mentioned that they'd be better if they had more freedom to do what they wanted.

that's no Koei game tho

You're kinda right on this, but kinda not. Shu in DW7 really patches it up really nice, Wei and Wu are nearly complete, and Jin...

Well, Jin is their, "favorite" as of now. But like I said you're right, Shu has gotten the most characters tied with Wu from 7-8

It's because Samurai Warriors has 55 characters. And only 51 of them are truly fleshed out.

I started with DW4 and loved it. Afterwards, I kinda skipped around with them, out of not finding them, which went by: DW6:E, DW7XL, and DW8. Due to starter bias, Shu's my fav of the three, by a small margin, only cause I would literally pick my faves of each kingdom. Admittedly, for me, Wei was literally just Cao Cao and Xiahou Dun for me. Then Cao Pi became a thing, and he's been overall my fav person. But then Xu Shu came along... Really wish I go to try DW7, fo its more fleshed out story.

Honorable Character mentions:

• Ma Chao (MVP of Shu before Xu Shu)
  • Sun Jian
  • Jiang Wei (only in 8, thanks to his weapon)
  • Lu Xun
  • Liu Bei
  • Zhao Yun (me and my bro had a rivalry of Ma Chao and Zhao Yun, cause thats his fav lol)
  • Sima Shi
  • Zhou Tai
  • Zho Yu (back when he had his sword :/)
  • Lu Bu
  • Xing Cai (I only wish her moves were a little more flashy)

Warriors Orochi is something I always had an eye for, but only ever got WO3 from pure chance. I only wish every game was like it, in terms of switching between characters. Absolutely solid crossover with the biggest cast imaginable plus extras.

Afterwards I came across DW Gundam, which was a nice twist, considering used to love that show as a kid. I skipped the 2nd one however, and while I liked the immense cast of Gundam 3, the battles seemed rather repetitive and not as integrated with the story as the first was, given the reused lines nearly every time. Thankfully, Gundam Reborn fixed that, and brought back storylines from the actual show itself, which was awesome. Kira Yamato being my fav among them, with Setsuna & Domon following close behind.

My Samurai Warriors favorites are, Ginchiyo, Yukimura.

DW would be Zhao Yun, Sima Zhao(8), Generic sword(7)

I'd personally like to see more what-if routes like in DW8 and SW1, etc, maybe in DW9, yeah.

Only Warriors game I've played was Hyrule Warriors. I might play the other games one day though.

My favorite characters to play as are Lana, Link, and Ghirahim.

I encourage this, do any of them strike your fancy?

What, that was a thing?

It was the MMO that existed but didn't exist.

I found it to be.. neat, I guess.

It actually was a thing. I think it was based off of the gameplay of 4 or 5, I don't know because I've actually only played 7 and 8. The english servers shut down a while ago, but the Japanese servers are still up.

Huh? Jin is separate from Wei?

Oh, also, fuck Wei Yan.

Yeah, this became a thing in DW7, but Jin was really bare bones in 7, they're still called Wei though.

They got more fleshed out in DW8 though.

His moveset is okay though. Huang Zhong, however, in the later games has a pretty bad moveset

Edited by Soledai