General Warriors Thread: Persona 5 Scramble

Jedi

i've been playing nioh and he looks like an older version of the main character from that, pretty good

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1371810

details in here, and screenshots on the third page too (looks like their taken from the main site @ http://www.koeitecmoeurope.com/dw9/features.html)

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The environments look nice, but I'm still unconvinced that open world meshes with Dynasty Warriors.
Also not a fan of how Guan Yu and Xiahou Dun look incredibly similar to their DW8 designs-- considering they plan on bringing everybody back, it's possible they just took their DW8 models and simply tweaked them a bit before adding new textures.

On the plus side, the localization announcement leaving the platforms unspecified greatly increases my chances of getting the game.

The environments look nice, but I'm still unconvinced that open world meshes with Dynasty Warriors.
Also not a fan of how Guan Yu and Xiahou Dun look incredibly similar to their DW8 designs-- considering they plan on bringing everybody back, it's possible they just took their DW8 models and simply tweaked them a bit before adding new textures.

On the plus side, the localization announcement leaving the platforms unspecified greatly increases my chances of getting the game.

On 5/11/2017 at 6:14 PM, The DanMan said:

Yeah i'm generally not an open world fan, so I'm not sure how this will play out at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2017 at 2:25 PM, Jedi said:

Bumping with this little tweet from Koei 

Looks really good as far as graphics go. Im not all that familiar with Dynasty Warriors games, but they are going Open World with this one arent they? Have they tried this in the past or is this kind of new territory for them?

Also, anyone have a good entrance point for the series? FE Warriors has been almost a entrance drug of sorts for these games, and now I am a bit interested in the series, but have no clue what would be a good starting point for me.

Edited by Tolvir

5 hours ago, Tolvir said:

Also, anyone have a good entrance point for the series? FE Warriors has been almost a entrance drug of sorts for these games, and now I am a bit interested in the series, but have no clue what would be a good starting point for me.

Depends on what consoles you have available.

As an FE fan with a Zeke avi, you must have a 3DS. Thus, if you want to try a mainline Warriors game at as cheap a price as possible, get a $5 pre-owned copy of Samurai Warriors Chronicles from Gamestop like I did. Note that enemy count is rather low in this game compared to others in the franchise due to the original 3DS's limited power vs. a console. If you're willing to shell out full price, get Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 instead (it's download only though- and it's better if you have an N3DS). Either game gives you the full Samurai Warriors treatment in plot, characters and gameplay, with an avatar rather inoffensively tacked on.

If you have a Wii U, then you can find Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper for pre-owned and for $15 as well. The game has the entire casts of Dynasty Warriors 7 and Samurai Warriors 3 combined plus OCs and Koei Tecmo crossover character- for over one hundred total.

Now if you want to play a mainline Dynasty Warriors, you'll need a PC, PS3/4, or an Xbox 360/1. Dynasty Warriors 8 has the best gameplay, but 7 is generally acknowledged as having done the story better (even though story isn't the strong suit of Warriors games at all). If you want to experience the pre-7 gameplay overhaul, either get a PS2, or download the original Warriors Orochi on PS3. You can find DW7 on PS3 pre-owned for $7, and DW8 for $15. Avoid Dynasty Warriors 6- it's the big flop of the series.

If you're a Zelda fan, try Hyrule Warriors for Wii U, but mind you it still goes for $30 used, so for value's sake you're better off with the 3DS Legends port of the game (performs better with a N3DS). Unless you'd prefer the Warriors experience on the big screen that is.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Depends on what consoles you have available.

As an FE fan with a Zeke avi, you must have a 3DS. Thus, if you want to try a mainline Warriors game at as cheap a price as possible, get a $5 pre-owned copy of Samurai Warriors Chronicles from Gamestop like I did. Note that enemy count is rather low in this game compared to others in the franchise due to the original 3DS's limited power vs. a console. If you're willing to shell out full price, get Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 instead (it's download only though- and it's better if you have an N3DS). Either game gives you the full Samurai Warriors treatment in plot, characters and gameplay, with an avatar rather inoffensively tacked on.

If you have a Wii U, then you can find Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper for pre-owned and for $15 as well. The game has the entire casts of Dynasty Warriors 7 and Samurai Warriors 3 combined plus OCs and Koei Tecmo crossover character- for over one hundred total.

Now if you want to play a mainline Dynasty Warriors, you'll need a PC, PS3/4, or an Xbox 360/1. Dynasty Warriors 8 has the best gameplay, but 7 is generally acknowledged as having done the story better (even though story isn't the strong suit of Warriors games at all). If you want to experience the pre-7 gameplay overhaul, either get a PS2, or download the original Warriors Orochi on PS3. You can find DW7 on PS3 pre-owned for $7, and DW8 for $15. Avoid Dynasty Warriors 6- it's the big flop of the series.

If you're a Zelda fan, try Hyrule Warriors for Wii U, but mind you it still goes for $30 used, so for value's sake you're better off with the 3DS Legends port of the game (performs better with a N3DS). Unless you'd prefer the Warriors experience on the big screen that is.

Yep, definitely have a 3DS. A New 3DS to be specific.

I will definitely have to look for Chronicles and Chronicles 3. I dont mind playing on a smaller screen for most games for the convenience of being able to play it anywhere( though I wish there was a way to hook it up to a TV without spending an arm and a leg to get a capture card.) Looks like DW8 at least is on Steam, so I will likely pick it up from Summer Sale that should be in a month or so. Ive been really wanting to get Hyrule Warriors, but cannot find a copy surprisingly. Thanks, really appreciate the help.

13 hours ago, Tolvir said:

Looks really good as far as graphics go. Im not all that familiar with Dynasty Warriors games, but they are going Open World with this one arent they? Have they tried this in the past or is this kind of new territory for them?

Yeah Open world is new to the franchise, they do like experimenting every now and again, like the Mission structure they tried in the Strikeforce games, and such.

Still not sure how well this will play out.  

16 hours ago, Jedi said:

Yeah Open world is new to the franchise, they do like experimenting every now and again, like the Mission structure they tried in the Strikeforce games, and such.

Hopefully not too bad. You would think with the amount of good open world games there are companies would start watching and taking notes, but the amount that make the same mistakes over and over again is ridiculous.Hopefully its an attempt to actually spice up the game a bit and not to just throw in a gimmick. Im not all too familiar with KOEI as developers so Im not entirely sure how they are with game development.

Something like Mount and Blade I could imagine being a good formula for an open world Dynasty Warriors though. Sandbox, but all centered around building armies, fighting massive armies, and conquest seems right up DW's alley rather than something more along the lines of BoTW or Skyrim.

16 hours ago, Jedi said:

Hopefully not too bad. You would think with the amount of good open world games there are companies would start watching and taking notes, but the amount that make the same mistakes over and over again is ridiculous.Hopefully its an attempt to actually spice up the game a bit and not to just throw in a gimmick. Im not all too familiar with KOEI as developers so Im not entirely sure how they are with game development.

Something like Mount and Blade I could imagine being a good formula for an open world Dynasty Warriors though. Sandbox, but all centered around building armies, fighting massive armies, and conquest seems right up DW's alley rather than something more along the lines of BoTW or Skyrim.

I'm just not super invested when it comes to open world so my thoughts on it are pretty negative, unfairly I might add.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it wrong to want a Musou game to take place during the Manchu period? 5 large scale wars happened during that period in China (Taiping Rebellion, Boxer Rebellion, Manchu Conquests, 1st Sino-Japanese War, and the Opium Wars.) It would certainly be unique if they ever decided to make it.

7 hours ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Is it wrong to want a Musou game to take place during the Manchu period? 5 large scale wars happened during that period in China (Taiping Rebellion, Boxer Rebellion, Manchu Conquests, 1st Sino-Japanese War, and the Opium Wars.) It would certainly be unique if they ever decided to make it.

Its not wrong but its definitely an impossible scenario. For Taiping they need to delve into religion which Koei's already very shy with and with the Sino Japanese wars they would be getting dangerously close to WWII(rising nationalism and fanaticism) which doesn't really combine well with the camp the series relies upon.

I'd wish for some game to take place in that period someday though. I'm surprised Assasins creed didn't go for the Meji period or Boxer rebellion. 

As for DW 9 I'm still wondering how an open world Warriors game would work. Its probably going to be a good game but I wouldn't say I'm exactly hyped. DW always sat quite a bit lower then Samurai Warriors. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

On 6/22/2017 at 5:00 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Its not wrong but its definitely an impossible scenario. For Taiping they need to delve into religion which Koei's already very shy with and with the Sino Japanese wars they would be getting dangerously close to WWII(rising nationalism and fanaticism) which doesn't really combine well with the camp the series relies upon.

I'd wish for some game to take place in that period someday though.

There's still the Manchu Conquests and the 1st Opium War. Also, have they done the An Lushan rebellion? That might work for a story better. Either that, or the Mongol conquests. I just want there to be less of Romance of the Three Kingdoms and more Chinese history.

On 6/22/2017 at 6:00 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

For Taiping they need to delve into religion which Koei's already very shy with

Couldn't they just cast Hong Xiuquan as a Zhang Jiao? Make him comically crazy. The Christian influences do pose something of a problem to be sure- but Xiuquan's bastardization is removed enough that they could possibly make it work. I did read the history-like-literature classic God's Chinese Son, and it's pretty clear that Xiuquan was leaned more towards a cultist than a devout Christian fundamentalist.

Though I do concede it would still be a sensitive issue. 

And by Manchu Conquests- I'm guess that means Qing's conquest of China, and subsequent expansion into Inner Eurasia? The former sounds fun (with a side battle between Zheng Chenggong and the Dutch for Taiwan). As for the fights against the nomads- chasing after Galdan Teseren again and again would be way too annoying.

The game looks pretty so far, at least. I'm interest to see where they take the open-world concept, but I wouldn't be horribly surprised if it ended up being Ambition mode all over again or its own Empires expansion in effect.

Re: Cheng Pu's inclusion, I have never understood why people want him in the games so badly, especially after they made Han Dang a walking punch line. Then again, Wu is also running out of people who did stuff that the audience would know about (which is probably why Zhu Huan, He Qi, Pan Zhang and Lu Dai, all people way more interesting and important than Cheng Pu, haven't been added yet). I'm a little late with this, I know.

1 hour ago, Hylian Air Force said:

I just want there to be less of Romance of the Three Kingdoms and more Chinese history.

Just from a practical standpoint this'll never happen. The Three Kingdoms is one of the most well-known and culturally significant periods of Chinese history, comparable to Arthurian legends in how much media in popular culture is produced surrounding them is produced (and I'd argue that the Three Kingdoms has greater overall cultural influence and cross-cultural reach, but that is most certainly another discussion for another time). Not to mention that, for a number of very sensitive real life reasons, adaptations involving conflict like the ones you're putting forward would run the risk of invoking backlash against Koei from some of their most stanch consumers. It's the same reason why Samurai Warriors will never bring up Christianity or Hideyoshi's Korea campaign and why Kiyomasa Kato isn't portrayed as the baby-murdering zealot he was in real life, I am and forever will be inordinately salty about that.

That being said, if we were going for a game based on other periods in Chinese history, I feel a game about the Chu-Han contention would be a good bet.

9 hours ago, AzureSen said:

Re: Cheng Pu's inclusion, I have never understood why people want him in the games so badly, especially after they made Han Dang a walking punch line. Then again, Wu is also running out of people who did stuff that the audience would know about (which is probably why Zhu Huan, He Qi, Pan Zhang and Lu Dai, all people way more interesting and important than Cheng Pu, haven't been added yet). I'm a little late with this, I know.

Because Huang Gai, Cheng Pu and Han Dang are like the 3 Veteran oldtimer badasses of the Sun family, they're just generally cool in terms of RoTK and such. We love Old Timer badasses like Huang Zhong and such.

It took WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long to get all 3 of them.

Edited by Jedi

I dunno, people have been asking for Cheng Pu for a long time. It's certainly better than another fictional peripheral character.

Though I would be fine with more Wu characters. :^)

Didn't really expect Man Chong but he probably has been asked about for a decent amount of time.

https://gematsu.com/2017/07/dynasty-warriors-9-adds-man-chong

There was a little bit of translation here though Sun Shangxiang has a weapon listed that doesn't look at all like a supposedly leaked image below with her traditional chakrams.

I believe there was a leaked (not sure if it's gonna be in the Famitsu issue) of Sun Shangxiang as well

7e0da3227bcec535c63fd5362d8d7f9ef1d8c487

others below here (Lu Xun, Lu Bu, Man Chong):

DD5vUVZUAAQpZRP.jpg

DD5vvbqVwAAH5yq.jpg

DD5xNJwV0AAxaYN.jpg

I do actually like how Lu Xun looks.

Edited by Tryhard