1. 1. Your Favorite Route

• Hoshido
    • Nohr
    • Invisible Kingdom

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard it's gimmicky but I don't really know what that entails. Is the gameplay good? I'm not interested in the story.

The gimmicky description applies to its maps, really. Dragon's Vein, ice chipping, moving platforms.

In my opinion, the gameplay is not what I would call good. Along with the map design, your roster is not balanced (some of the base stats characters join with are absurdly low given the timeframe), and enemies don't even use Guard Stance at all in the main story chapters.

The gimmicky description applies to its maps, really. Dragon's Vein, ice chipping, moving platforms.

In my opinion, the gameplay is not what I would call good. Along with the map design, your roster is not balanced (some of the base stats characters join with are absurdly low given the timeframe), and enemies don't even use Guard Stance at all in the main story chapters.

To put it into context, the Dark Mage Nyx joins in chapter 15 as level nine and unpromoted, dealing three damage to enemy Generals. Ashura joins as a promoted level 10 on the same map, crushing everything in his path.

And then of course the most known example is Odin joining in chapter, what, 19 as level 12 and gets doubled by I believe literally everyone, and dies to two physical attacks no matter what you do.

Of course, poor map design does happen in other routes. Nohr has level 19 (what is with that number?) which relies far too much on a random gimmick, while Ryouma's son commits suicide on the first turn if you don't recruit him early enough, since he'll charge a much more powerful enemy (you can't control him or use his child seal).

I've herd Nhor gameplay is harder than Hoshido but I was under the impression that on Lunatic mode all 3 paths have the same difficulty and quality but different styles (Nhor: Enemies more Skills, Hoshido: More Enemies, IK: Enemies more stats).

Gameplay: Nohr as everyone else has already mentioned.

Music: I like both, but gotta give it to Nohr here because of Azura's song in Nohr route.

Character Thoughts: Nohr has better overall characters and that isn't to even say Hoshido doesn't have any good characters, but some of them look overshadowed from their Nohr counterpart. The characters I like in Nohr are Elise, Effie, Odin (though I do prefer his Awakening version better), Zero (my favorite Nohrian design wise and is not complete yaoi bait and actually has a heartfelt S support with Male Kamui, especially since he doesn't want him to suffer and displays empathy.) Nyx, Camilla (I like her for her personality in acting motherly like and how she can be kind to allies, but turn around and become a whole another person on the battlefield to her enemies, so no it's not for her sexualized design just like how I feel the same for Tharja's eccentric persoanlity), Luna (she's actually even better than her Awakening version and has gotten better dealing with meeting other people), Berka, Lazward (still my favorite Awakening male child) Charlotte (the first female fighter in the series and actually has good reasons for why she puts a facade in front of men and her supports with Xander are a OTP for me), Leo, Flannel (I like Nishiki, but when this guy was revealed he just overshadowed him), Xander (prefer him in Nohr route than Hoshido because he lets Elise's sacrifice go to waste and I even prefer Ryoma in Nohr route as well because his cutscene for when you're about to battle him is a lot more cooler with the setting and his sacrifice to protect Kamui actually wasn't meaningless unlike poor Elise and he actually stays dead unlike Emmeryn who granted is still dealt a blow because of her crippling memory loss, but the fact that she is alive has healed Chrom and Lissa's hearts), Gunter (originally I thought he was just going to be another boring Jeigan, but he actually surpised me for what we learn about him in the 3rd path and just his supports with Male Kamui acting a bit like a father figure to him when he was a kid made me like him) and lastly Flora (a very well thoughtout character). Oh and has better children characters aside from debates going on with Soliel.

The characters who I didn't mention I found to be ok, but I may even like them to if I see more supports because I wish pastebin would update again. Only one I dislike so far is Pieri, though I did find her support with Lazwald sweet... again might change depending on what goes on.

Hoshido characters I like are Rinkah, Subaki, Oboro, Hinata, Takumi (has actually grown on me a bit though the meme BlameTakumi well forever be hillarous and I will say he has the best subordinates in Hoshido), Kagerou, Nishiki, Ryoma and lastly Yukimura.
Once again characters I didn't mention I found to be ok are just lacking in comparison to their Nohr counterpart. I dislike Asama (horrible design and has the worse design child with eyes that are freaking stupid anime like and he probably has the exact same eyes too no wonder they're closed), Setsuna (from what I seen so far I may bump her to ok, but I need to see more supports), Tsukuyomi (he's worse as a character compared to Ricken and makes me appreciate him more in Awakening), Yuugiri (bad design... the scar just ruins her for me) and lastly Crimson (reminds me too much of Sully design and character wise).
Story: None of them, I'm tempted to say Nohr, but only because it kept me interested and entertained along with feeling like instead of being the Marth you're playing as the Camus of the game and also it might have not succeed plot driven it did succeed character driven, while the changing the country from within wasn't true Hoshido does the freaking same with the how you're siblings there are not you're own blood and had Kamui known this it just makes him reuniting with his Nohr siblings make more sense because he known them for most of his life and it annoys me when people say joining Hoshido is a more selfless choice, but like it or not both of them are supposed to be hard choices for Kamui even as far as civilians lives go because we can't use a majority vs minority here for population comparison for these two countries and people want to bring up how you're practically spitting at Mikoto's sacrifice even though all it was supposed to do was save Kamui and Yukimura himself says that if she were still alive she would have a faint smile knowing that Kamui's alive nothing about but being disappointed (and no mention of said disappointment with her spirit talking to unconscious Kamui in Nohr, which by the way I despise how she doesn't show up in Hoshido's segment as if she didn't mean much to Kamui there, that just really bothers me). Mikoto even has some understanding for Kamui not immediately seeing her as his mother because of all of the time he has spent with his Nohr family. Aside from this stuff I just find Hoshido's story while more organized it's downright boring and unexciting (it's nothing to ride home about).

Is why the route punishes you. -.-

I'm also more partial to Nohr's soundtrack (Map B4 is just awesome). Hoshido's story also seems to be the most reasonable of the three and I'm neutral on the characters for each route.

Nohr would be my favorite route since my primary focus for FE games is gameplay and Nohr does that best, i find.

Yes.

Why the route is better!

I like Hoshido most. It's hella chill. It's like, use whoever you want and beat game. I love the classes more (Holy Bowman <3), I love the characters more (mai waifu Hana and my 2nd favorite character ever Takumi), I love the music more (A2, A3, and A4 <3) although B2 is my favorite song in the soundtrack. I also dig the atmosphere more. Nohr's got better chapters though I feel the difficulty difference between Nohr and Hosh is overstated. Nohr has some brutal (some tedious) maps over Hosh but otherwise if you know how to stomp Nohr (spam Camilia, give Marx Charlotte support and all the speedwings, pair Leo with Luna, have a 1-2 range Kamui), it's mostly the same.

That being said, I also really like Nohr and some of its characters (Effie <3, Lutz, LEO!).

Yes.

He needs them badly. He never could double in my Hard Nohr run. -.-

Have to try that sometime! But...should have used the Silence Staff gotten in Ch25 in C26 as it is very troublesome on the harder difficulties without it! Need it to conk out the maids before they conk you out! Iago cannot be stopped as you have to go completely around to get to him and his staves never runs out of uses. Grr...Infinite Staff ability. He's a special case as Sorcerers normally cannot use staves. Due to these, he isn't going to be a playable character. Garon, maybe. They'll just give his S Ranked weapon, but likely no Draconic Curse or Skin. Also those Draw staves come in handy as well to transport those Maids over to smite them before they conk out one of your units. As losing 20 avoid and cannot move isn't good there when the enemies are already brutal enough.

I want to say IK, but probably Hoshido ???

Not voting for now since I can't figure out which yet.

The only reason I like IK though, is because you get both sides (and a happy end?) which is a win in my book -however,

I've been on the last two chapters for the past four months so I have no idea how exactly it all ends yet xD

In all honesty though, Nohr's plot is terrible.

I actually had to delete my game because of how bad it was, and no amount of gameplay // interesting maps could make it up for me.

There are definitely a few characters that I like, but the vast majority of my favorites are in Hoshido, mostly because I found their personalities to be a lot more interesting and unclichéd.

Also, another thing that I have a huge problem with -

one thing that I love about the Hoshido route is how you're able to see the better sides of some of your Nohr siblings (basically all of them except maybe Marx, though that's debatable; Hoshido route is actually what made me start liking the Nohr royal siblings, such as Leon), but in the Nohr route, everyone just seems mindless and cruel -including Kamui, who is just so wishy-washy, like please stop and actually make your own decisions for once ?? It's also pretty ridiculous that even in the Nohr version you basically have to defeat yourself (by that I mean King Garon, who represents Nohr) and Hoshido just wasn't in the wrong but was forced to suffer for their mistakes. The plot probably could have been improved if they vilified Hoshido a bit, but the problem lies in the fact that they didn't.

Anyways just my two cents ~

sGjXLf.jpg
Always makes me think of getting a shot of the dark on that route! Much wose than Tharja's abusement with her child.
Edited by Princess_Elise

Despite its (immense) flaws, it's gotta be Nohr or IK for me.

Nohr's saving graces are its characters and maps and honestly had I gone into it completely blind (as in, not reading every single little pre-release detail, not hung around here speculating and getting my hopes too high) I don't think I would have minded the plot at all, just like when I played Awakening for the first time. I did, however, mind that I was constantly reminded by my wimpy Kamui that Nohr was the "wrong path". It bugged me.

I had fun with Nohr in a way that I was never able to bring myself to in Hoshido for some reason (it and its characters and setting just never held my interest), and IK was just too gimmicky and annoying with its maps and there were way too many characters for me to manage but I enjoyed having my favourites from both side with me and it really did feel like the "correct" route and that my time with it was worthwhile. If it had only been better written, both Nohr and IK could have been absolutely outstanding games.

I can clearly see why some people would prefer Hoshido but there's just something special about Nohr to me and I appreciate IK for what it tries to do.

In all fairness, I haven't played Nohr route yet. But after hearing how bad its story is, Kamui being more terrible, and generally preferring the Hoshido characters over the Nohr characters, I think I'd have to pick one of Hoshido or IK.

Which one of those two I actually like more, I don't really care.

Let me put this question on hold untill i actually get the game next spring. I've heard things, sure, but i haven't experienced them myself.

So... is it true that Hoshido is made entirely of Rout maps?

If that's true, i might seriously consider to not play it at all.

Mostly route and defeat the boss, yes. That's not to say there aren't the occasional good map designs but as a whole, Nohr has better ones.

Mostly route and defeat the boss, yes. That's not to say there aren't the occasional good map designs but as a whole, Nohr has better ones.

Darn it.

Are they at least good Rout maps? With lower enemy density, higher enemy power and enemies that move in groups?

Darn it.

Are they at least good Rout maps? With lower enemy density, higher enemy power and enemies that move in groups?

I can't really remember, but I don't think you'll have any luck with "high enemy power" since I don't believe random enemies get a single skill to take into consideration. Hell, the same thing happens in the Invisible Kingdom; only in Conquest do enemies get various skills, which makes planning much more important.

Which of the three routes on Lunatic have the most challenging or difficult maps?

It depends on what route you found hardest on the other modes.

Hoshido was even more of a cake walk since I was easily able to train units thanks to the massive amounts of enemies in Lunatic. Even Mozume was easy to train due to the fact reclassing can take place at any level.

Nohr was much harder since enemies had a lot of skills such as Deadly Breath and I believe the boss of Ch. 14 had both Counter and Magic Counter.

IK was annoying since the increase in stats combined with the levels that I already did not enjoy was tedious which forced me to grind during the game rather then post game in order to survive some chapters without losing units.

I personally found Nohr hardest but also more enjoyable since the maps were already enjoyable to begin with.

Nohr was much harder since enemies had a lot of skills such as Deadly Breath and I believe the boss of Ch. 14 had both Counter and Magic Counter.

IK was annoying since the increase in stats combined with the levels that I already did not enjoy was tedious which forced me to grind during the game rather then post game in order to survive some chapters without losing units.

Nohr is so tedious and unenjoyable towards the end. It tries way too hard to be hard. Nohr has an amazing mid and early game but I don't think I'll touch Nohr Lunatic again just because the last 3 or so chapters are full of "why".

Wrt IK, you shouldn't have to grind, you just need to keep your team somewhat small and kind of accept that 70% of the cast is shit. It's starting to become my favorite route since I'm really appreciating the creativity that's going into these gimmicks. The enemy strength is also kind of a breath of fresh air.

Nohr is so tedious and unenjoyable towards the end. It tries way too hard to be hard. Nohr has an amazing mid and early game but I don't think I'll touch Nohr Lunatic again just because the last 3 or so chapters are full of "why".

Wrt IK, you shouldn't have to grind, you just need to keep your team somewhat small and kind of accept that 70% of the cast is shit. It's starting to become my favorite route since I'm really appreciating the creativity that's going into these gimmicks. The enemy strength is also kind of a breath of fresh air.

Strength as in, being "too strong", or not strong enough, or balanced?

I find it odd though

Enemies are strong enough to not be completely stomped by your units. Like, throwing base level Ryoma at everything doesn't work as much as well as it does in Hosh and there aren't as many speedwings to make Marx a god of death. Nohr and Hosh have this problem of having really terrible unpromoted generics but IK unpromoted enemies are pretty formidable. Cavaliers in C17 have capped strength, for instance. Problem is that IS forgot to adjust a lot of the units to compensate so it's basically a redux of FE12.

Cavaliers in C17 have capped strength, for instance. Problem is that IS forgot to adjust a lot of the units to compensate so it's basically a redux of FE12.

But even then it's not comparable since FE12 was purely stats. I can't tell you how annoying those -20% health skills get in the game.

There isn't a base arena either, just grinding, which is much more time consuming and annoying. Like even in Maniac, it's still possible to train and use bad units like Est or Jake. Even units like Macellan and Sheema have slight use because they have a really high bow rank and have instant access to the Paritha as Snipers, so they can one shot fliers if you want. There's nothing like that in IK, everyone who's bad is just a shitty growth unit.

I prefer the gameplay of Nohr, but for the story, Hoshido is so much better. I mean, in Nohr you're a puppet, in Hoshido you're with good friends in a traditional japanese universe. And for the characters, it's the same. Marx and Ryouma are good, but Camila is a slut, Hinoka is badass, Sakura is more cutter than Elise and Takumi is intersting.

But Nohr has more difficulty and better maps.

If you don't mind me asking how is it trying too hard near the end?