Favorite and Least Favorite Classes?

CooledEvergreen

Fav Class: Soldiers. I really liked Infantry Spearmen and I find it kind of sad that the Mercenary (and Cavalier I guess) class is generally the "decent all rounder" in this series, because IMO that's what a Soldier should be. Other classes have plenty of variation in unit growths and stats, so there's really no reason Myrm can't encompass slower and sturdier sword wielders too.

I really like Monk/Light Mage as well.

Least Fav: Knights. I blame Knights for why we dont have Soldiers as a playable class in more games. I don't really dislike Generals because they're actually usually defensively capable enough to not care about getting doubled and have multiple weapon choices, but regular Knights aside from Oswin pretty much all suck or are much better reclassed into something else (like Draug).

Also screw Ice Dragons, they have too much skill, and thus too much critical. And FE6 HM Mercs/Myrms are also assholes throughout the game, just way too fast, evasive, and surprisingly durable.

Edited by Irysa

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, the agony of choice.

Favorites: Heroes and Lancers (for how little they appear as playable) are my favorites for their well rounded stats. I also enjoy a lot of mounted units such as Wyvern Lords, Falcon Knights and Nomads. And magic users of all kinds!

Least favorites: Fighters and knights for their low speed (although there were some characters of these classes that were exceptional). Dishonorable mention to Taguel for hitting the opposite extreme. Clerics are also pretty tedious to train.

Favorite: magic users (light magic in particular) and pirate/berserker. Anytime I get a pirate or berserker (which obviously isn't very often) I use them no matter what, they're just so awesome (except for Hawkeye, his name is stupid and I just don't like him).

Least favorite: Knight/general because of movement issues and boring characters, laguz units from tellius, the fact that they can't fight for about half of the time renders them unusable to me, and male healers for some obscure reason. I really don't know why, I never like them and never use them..

Edited by Joerai

Favorite: Sage- Judging solely by the fact that I always have room in my team for a prepromote sage. They get past the mediocre bases that mages often tend to have while also having fully sick weapon ranks (and generally a staff rank as well, which does more to set them above their mage counterparts). Also when you promote your mages into sages, you know that shit just got real.

Least Favorite: Knight- Just get good already! Again, judging by my teams in FE games, I generally never have room for knights. I like knights conceptually (tanks that you can always depend on), but in practice they don't really live up to that and they always feel like they've been designed as an enemy class rather than a player one. Archers have the same problem, but at least some of them are useful early on and snipers are fully sick. Generals are pretty cool though, especially Lorenz because he reminds me of Big Boss.

Favorites: Trickster and Wyvern Lord.

Trickster's abilities are a ton of fun and they have an overall really cool set of animations. Wyvern Lords have those great stats and a lot of weaknesses which perfect to be paired with another primary teammate or great for just getting across the map.

I don't really have a least favorite other than Dark Fliers just because I'm not too keen on their looks.

Edited by Terribad

Favorite is Myrmidons or Thieves. I always tend to like one character from each game of these classes a lot.

Least favorite is the Cavalier. They just tend to have boring characters associated with them and in a lot of the games, there is way more Cavs then needed. Really the only good cavs IMO are those from Tellius and Jugdral.

I forgot to mention the overabundance of Cavs in my post. FE6 killed off any interest I had of that class by throwing me about 7 Cavs at my face, like it was some sort of religious preacher that would not accept the fact that opinions are a thing.

No troubadour/valkyrie love so far in this thread.

Most Favorite: Troubadours, valkyries, and the pegasus knight line. I tend to love the troubadour and valkyrie(bad guys included) characters whether its by design or by their character. Also, in an actual war I'd rather avoid stabbing and chopping someone up. I'd personally prefer riding on horseback and healing or perhaps zapping enemies with magic.

Pegasus knights because of their unrivaled utility especially in early game . I don't know how I'd keep those hostage villagers or low health allies safe without them.

Least Favorites: I'd have to say knights but I'm only referring to knight and generals. I like great knights. Also the first class axe-wielder classes except the wyvern riders. These two classes I don't tend to use most probably since I tend to prioritize leveling up the main lord and they lose in terms of movement to cavaliers so they end up weaker causing me to just bench them when I get more magic users.

Edited by Maribelle

Erm, I did say that I like healers. That SHOULD count as including them...

I really like Mercs and Cavs plus their promotion lines. They have high utility imo and are well-rounded. They're quite versatile in many situations and I always use them.

I don't really like Knights and Fighters plus their promotion lines. Knights because their slow. Sure they have high defense, but I prefer to play a more speedy, offensive game. Also, they have crap movement. Fighters because low skill and defense. They can't really hit, and they don't have that great of a defense. Sure other classes have lower defense, but they have dodge to make up for it. Fighters really don't.

Most Favorite: Troubadours, valkyries, and the pegasus knight line. I tend to love the troubadour and valkyrie(bad guys included) characters whether its by design or by their character. Also, in an actual war I'd rather avoid stabbing and chopping someone up. I'd personally prefer riding on horseback and healing or perhaps zapping enemies with magic.

I like them a lot. Troubadours have higher movement than clerics and Valkyrie look awesome. I started on Blazing Sword which has some of the best looking characters of those classes.

Personally for me it usually depends on the game, but I tend to have some general go-tos:

For Favourites: Mage/Sage, or any Tome-using lines, including (and maybe especially) healers with Tomes. They've always been good to me, even if they're a bit silly early-game. They always turn in to powerhouse units later on in my runs, so I usually begin a new FE with high expectations for later-game Tome users.

Flier classes are also fantastic, thanks to ridiculous range and they usually can dodge well. Though, as noted, this depends on the game.

For Least Favourites: Base Archers. They're squishy and die too often in my runs because of terribad RNG. I usually try to reclass my archers in to something that can counter close-range stuff, and keeping their bows stashed until I know they wont become fine red meat piles the next turn or I absolutely need a man dead.

Also Base Knights. You clunky bastards. I love your high Def, but you're worthless unless staying put, and let's hope no one has an Armourslayer.

Favorite classes:

Pegasus/Falcon Knights: High Spd, High mov

Swordmasters: High spd, extra crit bonus is nice

Wyvern Riders/Lords: High Str/Def, High mov

Sages/Valkyries: I was always a fan of magic classes, and these two have great designs.

Least favorite:

Knights: Low Movement and low speed.

Favourite: myrmidons, most have memorable characters join decently early and can dodge tank like crazy. mages due to cool designs intresting characters and just being really useful (especially FE4). wyvern lords due to high move good bulk and decent speed also haar. Assasins because of their mysterious nature crit bonuses and lethality. mercenaries because of general bulk and well rounded stats and usefulness. also most lord related classes particularly FE9 Ike.

Least Favourite: knights due to poor movement awful res and mostly being forgetable however i do like using draug, gatrie and oswin. fighters because of their awful hit rate and not being too bulky however Boyd is awesome and barst is good. GBA archers because they just seem to be bad in those games but are completely fine before and after. FE1 healers for the sole reason it's next to impossible to level them up.

Fighters because low skill and defense. They can't really hit, and they don't have that great of a defense. Sure other classes have lower defense, but they have dodge to make up for it. Fighters really don't.

Exactly why I dislike them.

Also, another class I dislike: FE8 Great Knights. They're essentially foot soldiers who take worse movement penalties.

Favorite Classes: Virtually every mounted unit in the game ranging from Paladins, FE6/FE7!Valkyries / Mage Knights, Pegasi Riders and Wyverns; I have conflicted opinion on FE8!Valkyries though...

Also, Sages because ANIMA FTW and... Druids because there's nothing more satisfying than punishing enemies with dark forces... Especially if using Apocalypse! *cue evil laugh*

Least Favorite Classes: Not a fan of Knights, too slow for my tastes, also Fighters and then there's the FE6/FE7/FE8/FE9/FE10!Bishops because of my personal distaste for Light magic.

Favourite: Sages. They are just really cool, especially in the GBA games and I like a lot of members of the class, such as Pent and Lute. They have good magic and speed, making them very effective combat units, and can even work as supporting units, since they can use staves.

Least Favourite: Probably Warriors. All they have going for them is HP and Strength. They have really bad Speed, Defense, and Resistance, making them hard to keep alive on the battlefield. Berserkers also completely outclass them, I would much rather have super high crit, more speed, and the ability to move through mountains and water than bows and maybe a bit better strength. The only exception to this is Nolan, from what I have played of Radiant Dawn, he's an amazing unit, and really carries the Dawn Brigade.

Posted · Hidden by Ϲharlie, November 10, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Ϲharlie, November 10, 2015 - No reason given

Favourite: Sages. They are just really cool, especially in the GBA games and I like a lot of members of the class, such as Pent and Lute. They have good magic and speed, making them very effective combat units, and can even work as supporting units, since they can use staves.

Least Favourite: Probably Warriors. All they have going for them is HP and Strength. They have really bad Speed, Defense, and Resistance, making them hard to keep alive on the battlefield. Berserkers also completely outclass them, I would much rather have super high crit, more speed, and the ability to move through mountains and water than bows and maybe a bit better strength. The only exception to this is Nolan, from what I have played of Radiant Dawn, he's an amazing unit, and really carries the Dawn Brigade.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorites are anything with tomes of any kind, because you can't go wrong with units who do loads of damage to enemies otherwise impervious to you attacks, and swiftly dodging afterwards. Plus when it comes to video games I have a bias towards magic classes.

As for the worst, I say the transforming characters. I mean, the can be fun to use, but they can make the game way easier than it needs to be. The game needs SOME tension.