Thoughts on Wendy (Is She Really THAT Bad?)

Hello everyone,

I was watching an FE6 Let's Play today and the player made the comment that Wendy is the worst character in any Fire Emblem game. I couldn't tell if they were exaggerating or not.

Anyway I commented on their video explaining that I always use Wendy in every playthrough of FE6 and she always ends up great. We got into a debate with my argument being she's worth the effort because she has great growths and their argument being she is bad because she requires effort to be good and that effort could be spent on better characters.

Your thoughts/experiences on Wendy?

Some food for thought, in my current playthrough of FE6, this is how my Wendy is turning out, and I'm only on chapter 14x. I also didn't use any stat boosters on her (click to enlarge):

post-18372-0-44183500-1445413775_thumb.png

Gryphon

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree with the other guy that Wendy is the worst character in any Fire Emblem game. She essentially has the whole deck stacked against her (poor jointime, bad bases, being VERY hard to train, the whole nine yards).

Wendy is generally agreed to be pretty bad. She's in a class with crappy move and only lances, which have low hit and you fight lots of axed enemies. She also has really poor bases so it's a lot of work to train her up. But referring to your picture, it's the nice thing about fire emblem games, even the really dreadful characters are usable with enough TLC.

I'd agree with the other guy that Wendy is the worst character in any Fire Emblem game. She essentially has the whole deck stacked against her (poor jointime, bad bases, being VERY hard to train, the whole nine yards).

Fair enough. However I never had a hard time training Wendy. In chapter 8 I would put her in the space where the cracked wall was and let her kill everything. I can have her at level 8 or so by the end of the chapter. Then getting her to 20 from there is pretty standard.

Wendy is generally agreed to be pretty bad. She's in a class with crappy move and only lances, which have low hit and you fight lots of axed enemies. She also has really poor bases so it's a lot of work to train her up. But referring to your picture, it's the nice thing about fire emblem games, even the really dreadful characters are usable with enough TLC.

I usually just give her an axereaver. TLC? I'm not familiar with the term. Could you enlighten me?

Fair enough. However I never had a hard time training Wendy. In chapter 8 I would put her in the space where the cracked wall was and let her kill everything. I can have her at level 8 or so by the end of the chapter. Then getting her to 20 from there is pretty standard.

I usually just give her an axereaver. TLC? I'm not familiar with the term. Could you enlighten me?

What mode are you talking about?

Axereavers aren't available at the point of the game when she joins, which is the one place she has to worry more about axes than anywhere else (hence my earlier "poor jointime" comment). Anyway, TLC stands for tender loving care.

What mode are you talking about?

Axereavers aren't available at the point of the game when she joins, which is the one place she has to worry more about axes than anywhere else (hence my earlier "poor jointime" comment). Anyway, TLC stands for tender loving care.

In chapter 8 where she joins there are mostly soldiers and mercenaries (whoops, meant knights). And I believe I got an axereaver in chapter 11.

And yes, In that case I give Wendy much TLC.

Edited by Strict_Gryphon90

Unless you get very lucky (the pictured Wendy I'd say is pretty blessed), she's never going to be a great unit. Her growths simply aren't good enough. That said, it's not difficult to set up kills for her with the triangle attack and she doesn't have any crippling weaknesses, so "worst unit ever" is a bit harsh.

Don't listen to this guy, he thinks Sophia is a great unit.

Unless you get very lucky (the pictured Wendy I'd say is pretty blessed), she's never going to be a great unit. Her growths simply aren't good enough. That said, it's not difficult to set up kills for her with the triangle attack and she doesn't have any crippling weaknesses, so "worst unit ever" is a bit harsh.

Don't listen to this guy, he thinks Sophia is a great unit.

Yeah I admit I always get really lucky with her. She's always ended up better than Bors or Barth though whenever I tried using them. I don't know, with certain characters for me they always turn out good or bad. For instance once time I played FE7 and my Erk ended up with 14 mag at 20/20. This ALWAYS happens whenever I use Erk.

I guess I shouldn't mention I think Sophia is a good unit, also with some TLC. Now I'm gonna get crucified.

Pretty much every unit is good given time, care and love. Wendy and Sophia are just staggeringly shit to begin with and it's torture to have them catch up with the rest of your squad.

Pretty much every unit is good given time, care and love. Wendy and Sophia are just staggeringly shit to begin with and it's torture to have them catch up with the rest of your squad.

Except that she'll never actually turn out be as useful as any mounted unit or staff user or dancer ... or everything else will ever be because she's still held back by her lack of mobility [and speed cap]. Doesn't really matter how much "time, care and love" you invest.

If Wendy was a pegasus knight with the same bases and growths, she would be no better off. But the Serenes crowd would overrate her to hell and back because "omg flier".

yeah wendy's bad

it's funny because in fe6 a lot of character's join chapters seem like they're catering towards that character so if it's your first playthrough and you want to train them you can pretty easily

like for example Oujay starts with an armorslayer and starts near a bunch of armors

alternatively barth can attack those same armors, which are basically the only things he can double

wendy starts in the same chapter but can be killed by almost anything that attacks her

it's pretty sad

apparently she can turn out good if you level her up, but she can't be worth the trouble

Edited by maybe

If Wendy was a pegasus knight with the same bases and growths, she would be no better off. But the Serenes crowd would overrate her to hell and back because "omg flier".

Dude, Peg!Wendy would be GOAT

Knights in FE6 are just not worth using them, because all of them suck. I did not use Wendy in FE6, but instead used Barth, and oh boy he ended up being my worst unit, with that poor movement he couldn't catch up with the others, even with Arena Abuse. And speaking of Arena he was a pain to train, he would get bested even by a Myrmidon. I had to RNG abuse until the arena gave me an easy opponent. The problem is not Wendy, the problem is the Knight class, in my opinion.

Also omg those stats, I guess she'd get RNG blessed.

Knights in FE6 are just not worth using them, because all of them suck. I did not use Wendy in FE6, but instead used Barth, and oh boy he ended up being my worst unit, with that poor movement he couldn't catch up with the others, even with Arena Abuse. And speaking of Arena he was a pain to train, he would get bested even by a Myrmidon. I had to RNG abuse until the arena gave me an easy opponent. The problem is not Wendy, the problem is the Knight class, in my opinion.

Also omg those stats, I guess she'd get RNG blessed.

That Arena problem is more one intrinsic to the arena itself - send in a high defense unit, and you're greeted with someone who's using a steel or even a silver weapon.

With those bases, especially the 3 speed? She'd probably get a bit of credit for her ferrying possibilities and end up better than most crappy characters, but nothing more than that.

With the same absolute base stats, Pegasus Knight Wendy would have 17 HP, 4 str, 5 skl, 7 spd, 6 lck, 3 def, 2 res. Inferior to base level Thany in nearly all ways, but it's hard to deny the usefulness of having an additional flier at that point of the game, especially for the Western Isles. I'm sure draft LTCers would value such a Wendy very highly much like they already value Tate (who also has unspectacular bases, but Wendy's are much poorer of course).

I mean she's not like FE4 Diadora but she's not good either. It's s personal experience argument. Any unit can be good if you're lucky, or if you pump enough resources into them, but she'll be outdone by almost every other FE6 character. A measure of how good someone is in FE is basically how they compare to others and stack up to enemies by using minimal resources.