Thoughts on Wendy (Is She Really THAT Bad?)

Also forgot to show before, but those are Barth's stats in my most recent, finished run of FE6:

6b3v9dz.png

I mean, yes that 27 Strength and 24 Defense is fine but 9 Skill and 11 Speed (and I remember giving him at least 1 Speedwing) is like omg brb gotta kill myself.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>skill

Even though this is the infamous no hit rate FE6, skill still isn't that important

That speed is awful though God damn

The thing I find is that without the game breaking secret shop, knights are pretty useless in fe6 in general. Normally, I don't even use any of the knights or the cavaliers because the other units are just so much better. Gonzales packs a huge punch, and is pretty darn tanky if used correctly. Plus, he uses axes, which is heaven in Etruia. So great join time. In short, some characters are simply obsolete because others are just so much better.

Then again, this is coming from a guy who uses Sophia every single run (just to spite the RNG) so I mean, eh. If you really want to grind up someone like Sophia or Wendy, go for it. Lots of TLC and stat boosters.

look here, i like using Meg in FE10, but i admit she's god awful and typically not worth the effort to the average person (or even to me half the time)

its a similar case with Wendy, i just would not debate on something that has been statistically proven time and time again, not to mention the knight class is cum dumpster tier in FE6.

you have the right to your opinion, as i do with thinking makalov is the best cavalier in FE9, but my opinion isn't fact(since oscar and titania are proven better), and neither is yours.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

look here, i like using Meg in FE10, but i admit she's god awful and typically not worth the effort to the average person (or even to me half the time)

Meg isn't awful.

She's just the wrong class and comes at the wrong time with a wrong base level (too low) at least on hard mode.

Her growths are alright.

She'd be good, if she was a cavalier. But this game made her a sword knight.

Outclassed by Edward and her low movement makes her unflexible. .

If she was a lance knight, she'd be a real alternative for Aran because of her good speed growth.

I mean she's not like FE4 Diadora but she's not good either.

Diadora is a million times better than Wendy could ever hope to be. Staves are just that good in FE4.

its a similar case with Wendy, i just would not debate on something that has been statistically proven time and time again, not to mention the knight class is cum dumpster tier in FE6.

you have the right to your opinion, as i do with thinking makalov is the best cavalier in FE9, but my opinion isn't fact(since oscar and titania are proven better), and neither is yours.

Was this supposed to come off as confrontational? I'm asking because I got that impression but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

My goal for starting this topic was to get people to share their thoughts on a character with each other and me, and for me to share my thoughts with them. Someone gives their thoughts and I give mine and so do others. If this has been done before, cool. I'm not trying to shove my opinion down everyone's gullets. I really hope no one thought that. This was supposed to be a friendly discussion.

I'd argue Fiona of FE10 is even more worse off, but thats a debate for another time, shes easily one of the worst units in the series though.

Fiona has utility

Wendy has... a triangle attack

Anyway to answer OP's question

Thoughts on Wendy (Is She Really THAT Bad?)

How bad did you think she was in the first place? Because she is that bad.

Meg isn't awful.

She's just the wrong class and comes at the wrong time with a wrong base level (too low) at least on hard mode.

So you just listed everything that makes her awful then says "well, if she didn't have these things that made her awful, she would be decent." Come on man, you can include caveats like this for every character and make them sound better than they are.

Edited by Lord Raven

Also forgot to show before, but those are Barth's stats in my most recent, finished run of FE6:

6b3v9dz.png

I mean, yes that 27 Strength and 24 Defense is fine but 9 Skill and 11 Speed (and I remember giving him at least 1 Speedwing) is like omg brb gotta kill myself.

lol you used boots

someone posted this on my video in response to the OP:

Hard to compare the effort spent on Wendy on every other character. If you trained everyone like you did Wendy, you'd end up with a unit that'll probably get about 8 exp per battle, it doesn't pay off as fast compared to Wendy given she starts off at level 1 and thus gains EXP fast. But the main reason I find it hard to equate the effort spent on Wendy with other characters because other characters(well, the "good" ones) usually manage to efficiently deal with multiple enemies in combined player and enemy phase, whereas Wendy requires about 1 kill per turn to not die.

to which i responded with:

You can definitely compare the effort spent on Wendy with the effort spent on other characters and examine the result that this effort has on EXP gain. If Wendy gets 40 EXP per kill and someone better but not top tier such as Noah gets 20 EXP per kill, but Noah gets more than twice as many kills with the same amount of effort, then Noah will grow faster than Wendy even with lower EXP gain.

This is a primary reason why Wendy is so bad. The effort required to feed a kill to Wendy is several times greater than that required to feed a kill to almost any other character. First, you need to get an enemy within kill range, which is hard to do when Wendy doesn't do a lot of damage. Second, you need to get Wendy to that enemy, which is hard to do when she has the worst mobility in the game. Third, you need to take the risk that Wendy misses, in which case she loses that kill (because if you don't kill that enemy, then Wendy will die on enemy phase) or, even worse, she dies on the counterattack.

For almost every other character, the kill range is larger, it's easier to position that character, and the penalty for missing is lower (they'll also miss less frequently). It's fallacious to claim that Wendy will level up faster than other characters because she gets more EXP/kill. That claim ignores all of the other factors that contribute to a character's rate of EXP gain.

i'd also like to add that wendy doesn't have enemy phase potential because she 1) has trouble surviving enemies in the first place, 2) has trouble hitting enemies, and 3) has trouble reaching the front lines. enemy phase mostly contributes non-lethal EXP gain, which is much less than lethal EXP gain, but still significant over time. this is another reason why wendy's EXP gain is not faster than her competitors despite her receiving more EXP/kill.
to summarize:

• wendy's EXP gain rate is not faster than that of other characters because of her higher EXP/kill ratio.
  • wendy gets fewer kills than other characters with the same amount of effort because she is weaker, less mobile, and faces greater risks if she fails.
  • wendy faces less combat than other characters because she is less durable, less accurate, and less mobile.

therefore, if as you claim, your reasoning for wendy being good is feeding her 7 levels' worth of kills in chapter 8, then consider that the same effort can be spent on feeding noah 7 levels' worth of kills in chapter 8. or like, lot, or anyone else that's mediocre. compare their stats at L15 to wendy's stats at L8. they are still way better, and they will still be much better in the chapters to come because they average >11 spd at those levels, which is what's necessary to double most fighters in the western isles. so they will continue to require less effort to level up than wendy, and her rate of EXP gain is still going to be slow for the reasons that i stated above.

i don't have the time or will to explain to you every reason why wendy is a terrible unit. if you're still not convinced, then this effort is fruitless.

Edited by dondon151

One of the worst, certainly, and most definitely the worst when FE6 is concerned. While some FE12 characters are in a league of their own when it comes to piss-poor combat, DSFE reclassing does at least allow them certain other types of utility Wendy can only dream of.

Meh, I don't like knights in general, but I gave Wendy a shot and she did great for me. To be fair I love training up weak units. I actually used Sophia in the same run with Wendy (on hard mode). Sophia gave me a bit more trouble to train than Wendy because of that accuracy. Oh well, they were good times nonetheless.

You know where Wendy is actually not THAT bad?

In the FE Girls hack. She starts out at a slightly higher level than most of your units, and her raw stats (sans speed) are respectable in relation to the enemy units. It is possible to feed her substantial amounts of exp while playing at a brisk pace, and she can be promoted quite early into a 7 move Great Knight with your first Knight Crest, after which she will continue gaining exp in a fast manner. Because the game factors strength and skill into determining attack speed, Wendy won't be nearly as slow as you'd think, too!

Wendy is pretty bad, easily in my top 10 worst characters in the series. Evwn though Sophia is faaaaaaaar worse Wendy is atill a letdown. Her bases are bad compared to Bors and Barth, I mean, she has 8 DEFENSE, and she's a KNIGHT! In a game with the others Knights having 11 and 14 defense, oh and she has like 19 HP. Yeah Bors growths are almost the same but his bases start better and he had more time to grow in stats, Wendy comes at LV1 and she is essentially a weaker Bors. It also doesn't help that the other knight Barth is more of a pure knight than both of them. At the end Wendy is pretty bad and so is FE6's reputation with Knights/Generals

Wendy is bad because she is a knight when she joins. She can't hope to move to the front in time to gain EXP. Even if you rescue drop her all the way, she still needs a turn to get into the fighting and by that time your cavs will have killed the enemy. Mono lances before promotion doesn't help either, neither does E-rank axes after promotion.

Wendy is probably only usable if you use turtle strats, but then everyone will be great, or at least decent. If you want a knight, why not use Bors, who would have a major level lead by the time that Wendy joins.

• 4 weeks later...

Wendy is trash, because she's an armour knight, one of the worst classes in Binding Blade and she has terrible bases. I would much rather use Bors and I wouldn't even use him anyways. Of course it's fun to laugh at the Gamefaqs guide from like 2001 that rates her 9/10.

Wendy is one of the worst units (I'd say Gaggles from Shadow Dragon is worse, for example). Basically she's a myrmidon wearing armor and trying to fight with lances, and would be much better as a myrmidon. Being the wrong class at the wrong time with the wrong bases in the wrong game makes anybody look bad.

Also the Wendy posted is incredibly blessed. My Wendy in my Roy the pimp run looks like Eliwood from fe7!

Wendy is definitely bad for reasons others have already explained. The sad thing is, there's a lot of things they could do that could've made Wendy really good. Give her 20-30% more in every stat in her growths and make her a better class (Cavalier or Pegasus Knight would be the best in my opinion), and she would've been a pretty good unit. But alas, Bors is better in literally every way and he's not exactly a great unit either.

Semi-relevant opinion, I really don't think Amelia is much better than Wendy. Statistically, Amelia is far better, but they have a lot of the same problems that make them bad units.

Edited by kantoorfarina