Thoughts on Wendy (Is She Really THAT Bad?)

You can give 20-30% growth in every stats and a better class on literally every unit and they would be a pretty good unit, unless they are unsalvageable by design like FE12 Free Silver

Cmon now

EX:

Make Gonzalez a Cavalier and a 20-30% growth in all stats and he would be broken. WTF 95% Str Growth PogChamp

Edited by JSND

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can give 20-30% growth in every stats and a better class on literally every unit and they would be a pretty good unit, unless they are unsalvageable by design like FE12 Free Silver

Can't make Ests good with that!

Wendy start in chapter 8 with worse stats than Bors who's with you since the beginning, and about similar growths.

And Bors is already not a very good unit (Probably the best Knight of FE6, but that just show how awfull knights are in this game...). Even if Bors and Wendy switched places, she still would be bad.

I mean there's triangle attack to train her faster, but why would you use three awfull units to makes one slightly less mediocre ?

Edited by Tamanoir

why do the two cutest female characters in fe6 have to be so shitty

Because for some reason, trying to conscript pre-teen girls to fight in your army leads to poor results.

Wendy's bases combined with her class, join time and growths just don't make a good unit. She's stuck in a circle of not being able to reach enemies, failing to deal damage and falling behind everyone else. Her durability's not even that much better than the cavs, and that's assuming that she levels up at the same rate as them.

Because for some reason, trying to conscript pre-teen girls to fight in your army leads to poor results.

Wendy's bases combined with her class, join time and growths just don't make a good unit. She's stuck in a circle of not being able to reach enemies, failing to deal damage and falling behind everyone else. Her durability's not even that much better than the cavs, and that's assuming that she levels up at the same rate as them.

Tell that to Clarine/Thany/Fir

Point taken. Still, she's (supposed to be) an Est, and if she had an Est's growths then she would at least have a reason to exist considering there is quite a few units with bad or meh growths in FE6. It wouldn't fix the problem with trying to train her with her worse-than-thany offense and being able to get killed by an Archer on the turn she joins, though.

agreed on Wendy being adorable. I feel bad for her. just look at her face, she's trying so hard to be a good unit but she just can't

Edited by kantoorfarina

why do the two cutest female characters in fe6 have to be so shitty

I never was aware that Ellen or Clarine were considered bad... But in all seriousness, Wendy, while fairly cute, isn't who I'd consider a contender for cutest female character in FE6.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Point taken. Still, she's (supposed to be) an Est, and if she had an Est's growths then she would at least have a reason to exist considering there is quite a few units with bad or meh growths in FE6. It wouldn't fix the problem with trying to train her with her worse-than-thany offense and being able to get killed by an Archer on the turn she joins, though.

agreed on Wendy being adorable. I feel bad for her. just look at her face, she's trying so hard to be a good unit but she just can't

maybe I just don't know the definition of Est but is Wendy really an Est I mean she joins less than a third through the game

does Est basically just mean joins with low stats at a point where said low stats can get them killed easily

Wendy can at least be useful for more than five chapters if you bother to train her, unlike most Ests

not saying she's better than any of them because she's not but I don't know if she really qualifies as an Est

also I think Dorothy is really cute is that bad

Wendy is underlevelled and has low bases, so she plays like an Est. It's nonsense to say that a unit must have everything in common with Est in order to be an Est archetype; would you say Sothe is not a Jeigan because he's not mounted and doesn't join in the first chapter?

Dorothy is only bad-looking by anime standards.

Edited by Baldo Scroll

maybe I just don't know the definition of Est but is Wendy really an Est I mean she joins less than a third through the game

does Est basically just mean joins with low stats at a point where said low stats can get them killed easily

Wendy can at least be useful for more than five chapters if you bother to train her, unlike most Ests

not saying she's better than any of them because she's not but I don't know if she really qualifies as an Est

Wendy is underlevelled and has low bases, so she plays like an Est. It's nonsense to say that a unit must have everything in common with Est in order to be an Est archetype; would you say Sothe is not a Jeigan because he's not mounted and doesn't join in the first chapter?

I think calling Wendy an Est is really stretching it, personally...

Well, Sothe is the only prepromote of the Dawn Brigade when he joins, is important to the story in his connection to the main character, and is held back by his inability to promote unlike the rest of his group.

Ests are typically characters who join late but at a low level, who have decent growths to compensate for their bad starting stats and low level.

Wendy's growths aren't even much above Bors' and she joins less than a third through the game. If the criteria for being an Est is just bad bases/level for the chapter they join in, then FE12's cast is like 1/4 est

Well, Sothe is the only prepromote of the Dawn Brigade when he joins, is important to the story in his connection to the main character, and is held back by his inability to promote unlike the rest of his group.

Sothe can promote, though. #NotAJeigan

(I'm not seriously arguing Sothe isn't a Jeigan, I'm making the point that archetypes are not exact copies.)

Ests are typically characters who join late but at a low level, who have decent growths to compensate for their bad starting stats and low level.

Wendy has availability to compensate instead of growths, her payoff is based on quantity of chapters rather than quality.

If the criteria for being an Est is just bad bases/level for the chapter they join in, then FE12's cast is like 1/4 est

Most of those units are promoted, so you couldn't really call them underlevelled. They have no payoff even for casual players.

Why should anybody care about an unsubstantiated opinion?

Unsubstantiated or not, the fact of the matter is, I have issues with considering Wendy an Est...

Unsubstantiated or not, the fact of the matter is, I have issues with considering Wendy an Est...

it would be nice if you explained them

unless it was just for the same reasons I said

in which case you could just say that

point is you should explain said issues if you're going to bring them up

Edited by maybe

She functionally is an Est: terrible start, hard to train and gets solid once you do the massive training.

So yeah I'm not exactly getting why the joining time (which IS to her disadvantage aswell, because the upcoming chapters almost only sport enemies that kill her in one round) outweighs three factors that would stand for Est status, but I'm not too concerned about it.

I mean "Est" doesn't have to mean "once she's trained, the game is almost over". You can feed Amelia almost the entirety of chapters 9 and 10 in eirika route or something and she'll be useful for a bunch of chapters too, so it's a similar situation to what Wendy is in. And I doubt we can call Amelia "not an Est" aswell without making the term Est way more narrow than it initially was.

Edited by Gradivus.

it would be nice if you explained them

unless it was just for the same reasons I said

in which case you could just say that

point is you should explain said issues if you're going to bring them up

In fact, it was for more-or-less the same reasons you stated. Basically, Baldrick's criteria for determining an Est would make, say, 1/4 of Awakening's cast Ests, at the least - and I find that out-and-out ridiculous.

Evade being nerfed making him useful shows how bad he is. Throw Wendy into Shadow Dragon and she'd be useful too.

You missed the point... It's BECAUSE evade was noifed that he's useful - not everyone likes the prospect of eating counters that are liable to hit despite WTD, especially when they're 2HKOed.