FE6 HM ranked LTC (on indefinite hiatus)

Gradivus.

Note: I'm still hoping to continue this eventually, but due to RL stuff and relative disinterest I don't see myself going on anytime soon.

I mentioned somewhere that I'd do this eventually, and here it is. Possibly not being able to buy the maximum amount of boots and to ignore exp for most unmounted combat units will change a lot of things compared to a regular LTC run. Without a long introductory text, these are the rules:

- The true ending must be accessed.

- A rank in all categories.

- Full recruitment / no deaths.

- Lowest turncount under these restrictions.

I put my notes (similar to what dondon uses for planning) on pastebin, here's the list if you're interested, although there may be inconsistencies between this and my recorded clears: http://pastebin.com/u/Grdvssss

Chapter 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Xro2vB7AQ

Rankings:

Exp: 390

Combat: 10/25 = 40%

Power: 27

Funds: 13495G

Turns: 4/4

Used a variation of the standard strat, involving a silver lance crit for the bosskill. The exp distribution is pretty even, with Lance being the only unit to get a level yet, but quite a good one. Not much else to say about the strat that you can't see in the video. There are a lot of other ways to spread exp in this chapter, and I'll probably explore them in a ranked context when I have a better idea of what I do in the next bunch of maps.

[spoiler=C1 stats]

UNIT          LEVEL HP S/M SKL SPD LCK DEF RES WEXP
Roy            1.80 18   5   5   7   7   5   0 D Swd
Marcus      xx/1.38 32   9  14  11  10   9   8 D Swd A Lnc E Axe
Alan           1.91 21   7   4   6   3   6   0 E Swd D Lnc
Bors           1.00 20   7   4   3   4  11   0 D Lnc
Wolt           1.40 18   4   4   5   2   4   0 D Bow
Lance          2.21 21   6   7   9   2   6   1 E Swd D Lnc

[spoiler=Chapter turncounts + links]Chapter 1 (4/4 turns): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Xro2vB7AQ

Chapter 2 (5/9 turns): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i3AkBnYyMo

Edited by Gradivus.

Dang it, you beat me to this! I was planning on running this after completing the FE11 LTC, seeing as it SHOULD be much more straightforward than the FE7 one since everything is a seize map (no defense chapters to screw you over). Statboosters will be a thing though.

Anyway, glad to see you started this, and will be following!

EDIT: I don't know if this is just me, but it seems like your audio syncing is off.

Edited by ruadath

you can probably still get really low endgame turncounts with enough boots. i think you only need to buy ~42k worth of items with the silver card and then keep them to make the funds requirement because of the exploit that happens when you get the true true ending.

A few questions (just to gauge how much preparation you've put into this - hopefully more than I do when I begin my runs!):

1) Any idea who is going to be promoted?

2) Which of the routes will you be taking?

3) Any clever strats you anticipate using (that you've already developed)?

A quick note regarding your playthrough of Chapter 1: unless you desperately need WEXP for Roy (which I don't believe you do), you can save a Rapier use by having Alan trade his sword to Roy. Alan isn't in range of anyone on the first enemy phase anyway, so it doesn't matter. Then you can proceed with turn 2 like normal, but have Gordin take the sword when he rescues Roy. Then you can have Gordin trade the sword to Alan when he hands Roy off to him on turn 3.

I'm guessing you're going to actually train Fir and Gonzalez, given they have good (well, "very workable") combat and come underleveled?

I imagine you'll have to drop some of the min TCs for earlygame if you're not superrigging levelups.

Edited by Irysa

Yeah, I had that idea too and since the western isles can basically function as an excuse to spend turns, they'll probably see some action.

@ruadath lol Gordin. It seems Alan can just use the iron lance to deal iron sword-equal damage on the EP, so your idea looks viable. I'll have to change my RNG planning though.

1) Any idea who is going to be promoted?

Probably Lance > Alan because his spd is better, Shanna + Miledy for sure, probably the nomads and Saul too.

EDIT: Zeiss is a solid candidate for a promotion too, Tate may be one but she's kind of overshadowed.

2) Which routes will you be taking?

Almost certainly Lalum's, dunno the second yet but Ilia might be better for feeding promoted units to chumps, since FKs have sort of poor stats and Paladins still aren't monsters. I'm not quite sure though.

3) Any clever strats you anticipate using (that you already developed)?

Not really yet, I have a strat in mind to kill Zephiel with Roy, but the str benchmark is kind of high and it costs a turn compared to the optimal solution, so it's unlikely to happen. I didn't get the idea in the context of this run, either, just a random recent thing I thought of.

@dondon: If I understand this: http://serenesforest.net/binding-blade/miscellaneous/rankings/ right, I need 84k, in form of items or not, remaining because funds counts stuff as half its worth. I'll still try to get close to minimum turncounts in lategame, or match them if the cash allows for it. What exploit do you mean though?

Edited by Gradivus.

Ilia has tons of easy exp for units like Sue or Shin, one of which you probably want to promote as user for the Murgleis. Shin may not able to reach S-Rank bows in time but Sue certainly is. You can easily leave Shin at base level and have him just get tons of exp in Ilia without any problem though. It's mostly a matter of whether you'll need exp, funds or want to go for the lowest turn count possible. I'd say that by Chapter 20 at the latest - regardless of route - you'll have to compromise on the latter.

Edit: Actually, if 42k is enough for the best rank then funds shouldn't really be much if an issue. But I'm not sure what exploit dondon is talking about.

Edited by Yojinbo

Oh, I didn't even complete the response to the first quote, I was thinking about something and weirdly got distracted. Derp. Anyway, I do strongly consider the nomads, Saul is likely to have a permanent position and I don't know if I'll promote anyone else.

Edited by Gradivus.

I won't redo C1 for that one rapier use. I seem to get the same funds after the chapter with or without the change (both yield 13495, oddly), and the other clear is way less reliable because Alan has to dodge an axe when holding a lance, instead of a sword on turn 2. Idk what negates the effect of saving the rapier use, but I'm sure it's not worth the change anyway. I do use VBA rerecording for RNG planning, but it somehow fails to save things. I'll try around a bit to see if I can change that though.

Edited by Gradivus.

I won't redo C1 for that one rapier use. I seem to get the same funds after the chapter with or without the change (both yield 13495, oddly), and the other clear is way less reliable because Alan has to dodge an axe when holding a lance, instead of a sword on turn 2. Idk what negates the effect of saving the rapier use, but I'm sure it's not worth the change anyway. I do use VBA rerecording for RNG planning, but it somehow fails to save things. I'll try around a bit to see if I can change that though.

Oh right, I forgot that Rapiers are much cheaper in this game than in Rekka no Ken (80G per use rather than 150G, and that's not accounting .5 factor in the funds). Still, that either means you faced ~7 more attacks (unlikely) or you used Marcus' Silver Lance a second time (60 G), which seems more likely. Anyway, I agree, probably not worth starting over for.

oh i guess FE6 is not like FE7 then, where assets are counted at their full value. in FE7 if you had some amount of liquid cash and spent all of it buying items with the silver card, then you effectively doubled your assets.

the exploit that i mentioned is the one that involves setting A rank funds to 84k. normally the A rank threshold is much greater, but if you get the ending where fae and idoun run around the chapter 14 map, then the game sets that A rank funds threshold to the chapter 14 threshold, which is 84k.

basically, you have to kill roy with idoun, otherwise your A rank funds threshold will be like 132k.

basically, you have to kill roy with idoun, otherwise your A rank funds threshold will be like 132k.

Ah yes, the infamous "suicide Roy on the final map to get the best ranking" trick.

Edited by Irysa

if you get the ending where fae and idoun run around the chapter 14 map, then the game sets that A rank funds threshold to the chapter 14 threshold, which is 84k.

Woah, I never knew that's a thing.

Chapter 2:

Rankings:

Exp: 744; 1134 total

Combat: 17/40; 27/65 total = 41.5%

Power: 47

Funds: 15136G

Turns: 5/9

Managed to get around the saving issue (derp solution, really) I had with VBA rerecording, and had success avoiding the desync this time. Maybe buying an Iron Lance might have been a good idea for Shanna? Marcus can just give his Iron Lance to her though, and use an Iron Axe instead, or just other weapons that fit the situation better, so I probably don't need it.

[spoiler=C2 stats]

UNIT          LEVEL HP S/M SKL SPD LCK DEF RES WEXP
Roy            3.30 19   6   7   9   8   5   1 D Swd
Marcus      xx/1.68 32   9  14  11  10   9   8 D Swd A Lnc E Axe
Allen          2.12 22   8   5   7   4   6   1 E Swd D Lnc
Lance          3.15 22   7   7   9   3   7   1 E Swd D Lnc
Wolt           1.51 18   4   4   5   2   4   0 D Bow
Bors           1.00 20   7   4   3   4  11   0 D Lnc
Elen           2.33 16   1   6   8   8   0   6 D Stf
Shanna         2.36 18   4   6  13   6   7   5 D Lnc
Dieck          6.64 27   9  13  10   6   6   1 C Swd
Wade           2.60 28   8   3   5   4   3   0 D Axe
Lott           3.45 29   7   6   7   2   4   1 D Axe
Merlinus       1.00 15   0   3   3  10   3   0 -
Edited by Gradivus.

Great clear again! Good use of Dieck to take the necessary ORKOs and the boss kill. It's also nice that you actually start out with money in this game and can buy things (unlike HHM FE7, where you can't until Chapter 16/18, and that too not without a funds loss by selling gems).

A quick note for a possible improvement: would it have been possible to let Marcus get hit by one of the 4 attacks he faces on EP1? Then Ellen could heal him on turn 1, and Roy on turns 2 and 3 (he doesn't look like he needs the HP to survive the round 2 EP attacks) so that she doesn't lose out on the 11 EXP.

EDIT: In addition, it doesn't look impossible to rearrange Alan's position on turn 1 so that Ellen can heal him after he levels up from the Javelin throw on turn 1. You could probably trade-ferry the Javelin to Lance (I think it was him who needed it on PP2?) through Roy, and I don't think it would affect anything else (if it changes the RN because the soldier has an extra route to attack Roy, it might even be a good thing since one of the 4 attacks might hit Marcus). If you could do this, then Ellen could heal on all 5 turns.

Edited by ruadath

A few more additional questions:

Will you be aiming for the 5 turn clear of the next chapter? Or do you think that would end up being too unreliable? Also, do you plan to stick to full recruitment? That is going to make the Rutger/Gonzales chapters painfully slow, and not let you achieve potentially lower turncounts (although they are both really useful units, I'm not sure that they make up for the several turns you lose by grabbing them).

Also, what happened to your level ups in the latter half of the chapter? I'm very happy that you are limiting your RN burns, since I feel that is an "important" thing to do in the GBA runs, but was there any reason Shanna couldn't pick up Str? Or why Dieck had to miss out on both Str and Spd?

I'll probably go for the 6-turn in C3, and the reason why Dieck and Shanna didn't get better levels was literally only to limit path retracing, Dieck honestly isn't awfully useful in the long run (though I guess a better level still helps) but I guess I'd rig a bunch of Shanna levels earlier or later anyway so I could just try to get a better level for her in the potential v2.

Speaking of a v2, I actually think Ellen can get five heals, but with a different strat. The opening consists of getting the Iron Lance + Javelin to Marcus (Wolt convoys them after trading from Alan, Merlinus gives it to Marcus), Lance and Roy killing the soldier Roy can reach on the PP, and Marcus attacking the other with Javelin and getting fort dropped. Wolt's tile in the v1 would be accessible to Ellen, who would heal Roy's HP proc. On turn 4, Ellen heals Alan, who got hit by the Fighter he feeds to Roy on turn 2. On turn 5, he'd still not have full HP so she'd heal him again I think. I'll try that anyway.

Edited by Gradivus.

Ellen heals 11/22 HP Alan fully, so it would only net 11 exp, which probably isn't worth redoing for.

Have Alan hit him with the lance. Then she can heal him twice (and the hit rate for the Hand Axe goes up significantly). Alternatively, just let Marcus get hit by one of those enemies that attack him on the fort. Actually, wait: can't Lance get hit while feeding the soldier to Roy?

I think at least one of these should be possible?

Edited by ruadath

Why bother though? Ellen is never going to Warp, and I'm sure you could invest into other strats to get that missing 10 exp. I'd be more worried about Thany not getting perfect level-ups, since that's vital to your turn counts.