Nintendo releasing "Making of" Fire Emblem book in Japan

Shadow Stalker X

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/fire-emblem-25th-anniversary-making-of-book-to-be-released-next-month-in-japan/

-contains stories about the evolution of the Fire Emblem series, and more specifically on Awakening and Fates

-contains developer interviews (300,000 characters), and over 100 production materials, some never before seen

-comes out Nov. 28th for 3,888 Yen

Preorder from Amazon Japan

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4198640564/

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately, it's in Japanese, so I won't be able to read it. I guess I'll have to wait for the translation...

The topics it covers seems really interesting. I like this kind of stuff where they talk about the behind-the-scenes. Hopefully, this comes out in NA.

Yeah, it seems incredibly meaningless to have a "Making Of" book focus on games that came out a few years ago at most.

Do you think they will at least comment upon development moments in the older titles? Such as the departure of Shouzou Kaga, the shift to handheld platforms, and the international release of Rekka?

1st and 3rd I'd say definitely not; 2nd they may, but it seems pretty obvious if you take a step back. Larger install base = more sales, on top of cheaper development.

Sounds interesting. Unfortunately, it's in Japanese, so I won't be able to read it. I guess I'll have to wait for the translation...

The topics it covers seems really interesting. I like this kind of stuff where they talk about the behind-the-scenes. Hopefully, this comes out in NA.

Oh my goodness... I had a good laugh at those pics of poor Sakura, Marx, and Takumi you have in your sig.

I wonder if there's any chance Fire Emblem has gotten big enough for them to release that outside of Japan. I want it...

I plan on importing it with money from people who donated for my other translation work, and will hopefully translate anything interesting that comes out of it (or by request if people want certain pages translated). Maybe even the whole book, depending on how my schedule/donations line up!

For now though, the full translation for anyone who cares:

Blog (or see below):

fireemblem25thannivesarybook.jpg

Doesn't sound like much of a book if it's largely about Awakening and Fates.

Though I actually would be somewhat interested in Fates. Just to have an idea of what was going through their heads when making that plot.

I can't wait what fantastic excuse they're gonna pull when they're gonna talk about self insert marriages, skinship and bikinis. Probably something among the lines of "We wanted the players to really feel liek there in da gaem and fall in loev with our amazeeng characturs, cuz FE is ALLLLL about loving charakters!!1! I also fuk my sistah!".

I dunno, how about a book about all the series that also features the cut content in Genealogy, Radiant Dawn, Binding Blade, etc...? The games that clearly had cut content or heavy changes, y'know. Awakening already has Knights of Iris...

But wait, old FEs don't sell, unlike the new ones .-. sigh.

https://twitter.com/nindori/status/660335222693560320

The cover of the book has been revealed, featuring Marth, Eliwood, and Sigurd

Well that's pretty darn nice-looking. Positively surprised there's no Lucina or anything of the sort on it.

Who knows, maybe it actually will give each game in the series its fair share.

Edited by The DanMan

https://twitter.com/nindori/status/660335222693560320

The cover of the book has been revealed, featuring Marth, Eliwood, and Sigurd

Is that Eliwood drawn by Kita Senri?!? *_*

MOU!! It's only a matter of time for her to draw Hector too!

All my bitterness is gone, the world is at peace.

Marth, Sigurd, and Eliwood. An interesting choice in representation. I guess it makes sense in terms of being the Lords of the first FE, the best received FE (IIRC FE4 was the highest rated FE on Famitsu's top 100 classic games list), and the first international FE.

Well that's pretty darn nice-looking. Positively surprised there's no Lucina or anything of the sort on it.

Who knows, maybe it actually will give each game in the series its fair share.

Same here. I'm really glad that even just for the book's front cover, they layed off the Awakening bias and favouritism. Even without my utter hate for Lucina (due to insane unoriginality in character design dressing up as Marth even if it was for story purposes, her fanbase, and countless other aspects about her) I really think the Lucina and Awakening biasedness is getting to "Square Enix proclaiming Lightning as the face of Square Enix" levels ridiculous. I'm personally for paying tribute to the roots and origins of a series/IP, rather than the flavour of the month.

Marth, Sigurd, and Eliwood. An interesting choice in representation. I guess it makes sense in terms of being the Lords of the first FE, the best received FE (IIRC FE4 was the highest rated FE on Famitsu's top 100 classic games list), and the first international FE.

That was actually FE3. Mystery of the Emblem was the only Fire Emblem title to still be on Famitsu's top 100 games in 2006. Specifically, it was ranked as #68.

Well, I personally would've stuck with Marth, Leif, and Ike for the front cover (due to them being canonical playable characters in multiple FE games and having lead roles in both of them in Marth and Ike's case while being a lead in one game in Leif's case, but still being playable in the other). I still think Eliwood is a solid and reasonable enough choice.

On a side note, since no one has actually posted the cover image directly in this thread, I'll post it for reference:

Fire-Emblem-Making-of.jpg

Edited by Randoman

Sigurd looks out of place due to the art style clash... but otherwise these are solid representation choices, what with the original lord, the game that really evolved FE mechanics, and the fast international release (and to a lesser extent the jump to handheld).

Sweet cover. I wonder who's going to be the Lord who will fill up that remaining space. But I think it's obvious that it's either Lucina or Chrom, drawn by Kozaki.

Also, I saw Senri Kita retweeting the cover page. I guess she did draw one of them. My guess is either Eliwood or Ike!

Edited by RidellCrimea

All my bitterness is gone, the world is at peace.

Like, I know the newer titles don't appeal to veterans here because of reasons, but I'm kinda miffed at the "two faces" you just showed.

開発秘話で綴る25周年、覚醒そしてif

"Development details of the long running 25 years, including Awakening and If".

*INCLUDING*

It's secondary. It's a secondary mention to appeal to the "later title fans".

Edited by shadowofchaos

There's gonna be Chrom next! Or not?

I wonder if the back of the cover will have more lords.

Like, I know the newer titles don't appeal to veterans here because of reasons, but I'm kinda miffed at the "two faces" you just showed.

開発秘話で綴る25周年、覚醒そしてif

*INCLUDING*

I was not exactly serious when I wrote that, I was exaggerating, but the tone can't be read on the internet. The fact that Kita Senri drew my favorite Lord does make me very happy though (although I'm having doubts if it's her or the FE7 artist).

The way people made it sound was like it was mostly about Fates and If, and what can I do if those games' development notes interest me less than the rest of the series? I'm not angry at their fans at all, I think people are allowed to like whathever they want to like, I was just bitter and disappointed because it sounded like they'd put less care writing about the rest of the series, when Awakening has already the Knights of Iris book and more, and Fates is getting a lot of new releases and content.

"contains stories about the evolution of the Fire Emblem series, and more specifically on Awakening and Fates"

It doesn't read like *INCLUDING*, it reads like *mostly about*.

Fans of older titles exist, new and old alike, and such books are one of the few ways to get fanservice for those titles. Especially for Tellius and Magvel fans, since those games clearly don't have much fan merchandise other than strategy guides.

The way it sounded like was... the older titles got 1/4th of the book. I wish I could be less bitter, but if you put on bitterness, you'll be less disappointed if it ends up being what you bitterly expected.

I also want to explain myself better:

I still am worried at how they are going to explain the inclusion of clearly fanservice elements in the series, like bikinis or lewd phrases. I know people like such features and I know I still enjoy them, but it seems obvious to me they're in for sexy reasons... knowing Japanese developers, they'll dance around it instead of clearly stating it was done for fanservice and satisfy the pervy fans such as me.

And that bothers me. I'd rather have them say the truth than mask it with sugar coating.

How are they going to explain the ultra incest tones in Fates? Are they going to be honest or pull spiels on loving characters? I want honesty.They don't have to be blunt, I just want them to be honest.

Also, I saw Senri Kita retweeting the cover page. I guess she did draw one of them. My guess is either Eliwood or Ike!

I think there is a chance she might've drawn both, but Ike is definitely hers.

Edited by CrimeanRoyalKnight

I also want to explain myself better:

I still am worried at how they are going to explain the inclusion of clearly fanservice elements in the series, like bikinis or lewd phrases. I know people like such features and I know I still enjoy them, but it seems obvious to me they're in for sexy reasons... knowing Japanese developers, they'll dance around it instead of clearly stating it was done for fanservice and satisfy the pervy fans such as me.

And that bothers me. I'd rather have them say the truth than mask it with sugar coating.

How are they going to explain the ultra incest tones in Fates? Are they going to be honest or pull spiels on loving characters? I want honesty.They don't have to be blunt, I just want them to be honest.

Hah. I'm reminded of how Toshimichi Mori (the BlazBlue director) answered a question about fanservice in an interview.

Or more specifically, he didn't. Completely ignored it. I'd expect something similiar in regards here.

開発秘話で綴る25周年、覚醒そしてif

*INCLUDING*

As somebody who feels similarly to CRK, I'll vouch for/parrot her: the summary we were given, (be it Shadow Stalker X's error, though I don't exactly blame them) said "more specifically Awakening and Fates". That implies that they're getting the lions' share. Considering the child trio/"The Three Idiots" (according to part of the JP fandom) were brought in wholesale from Awakening into Fates, along with three more characters getting direct expies in the 2nd generation (and the sheer existence of a 2nd generation in the game) feels very much like IS cares much more about the new fans than those who kept their series running as long as it has.

I'm not trying to lecture you or come off as entitled; I simply felt similarly to CRK on this, and would like to explain/provide context.

I love how Chrom is the actual main lord of Awakening but he keeps on getting shafted in promotional material for Lucina. Wait. No I don't. ;/