Nintendo releasing "Making of" Fire Emblem book in Japan

Shadow Stalker X

In regard to the issue of the number of games not being listed in the book itself, this isn't really that unusual with anniversey editions of series focusing on the newest released games. Dragon Age did something very similar where they only have brief bites about everything before Inquisition and then most of the book is on Inquisition. As for the issue of Kaga not being included in this, there's probably several reasons for this, including the fact that he and IS's group aren't really talking as far as I've read (Much like Ubisoft and the former head of Assassin's Creed series), and he may not have wanted to do an interview for the series at all. There are creators that are very much like that after they leave a company.

What I would want to know is why the other three developers that worked with Kaga don't get any mention at all, if ever. We never hear their side of the story and it would be nice to hear what they have to say as well about the creation of the games.

As for the book, it's nice to have the behind the scenes stuff, but what I would really like is more an in game sort of book that actually fleshes out the worlds and discusses the gods and creatures there.

Over all it looks pretty. Will it comes State side, we shall have to wait and see.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I would want to know is why the other three developers that worked with Kaga don't get any mention at all, if ever. We never hear their side of the story and it would be nice to hear what they have to say as well about the creation of the games.

The book features interviews with Narihiro and Tsujiyoko who have both been involved with the series since the original game.

The book features interviews with Narihiro and Tsujiyoko who have both been involved with the series since the original game.

For this reason, I really don't see a problem with Kaga not being interviewed. It's obviously a pretty touchy subject to Nintendo and the developers. Not only did he basically make the largest equivalent to copyright infringement I've ever seen with Emblem Saga before he got sued and changed it to Tear Ring. In addition, he still today is making FE ripoffs with Vestaria Saga. I doubt that anyone would want to recognize him when the others who worked since the original title didn't jump ship like a crazy person, make some obvious ripoffs, and then fall off the face of the Earth for at least 10 years.

Overall, I think that Kaga blundered immensely. He would never have had to change anything or get sued if he had just stayed with the series. Considering he just got on the "discs are fun" train like Konami and Square in the PS1 era though...

For this reason, I really don't see a problem with Kaga not being interviewed. It's obviously a pretty touchy subject to Nintendo and the developers. Not only did he basically make the largest equivalent to copyright infringement I've ever seen with Emblem Saga before he got sued and changed it to Tear Ring. In addition, he still today is making FE ripoffs with Vestaria Saga. I doubt that anyone would want to recognize him when the others who worked since the original title didn't jump ship like a crazy person, make some obvious ripoffs, and then fall off the face of the Earth for at least 10 years.

Overall, I think that Kaga blundered immensely. He would never have had to change anything or get sued if he had just stayed with the series. Considering he just got on the "discs are fun" train like Konami and Square in the PS1 era though...

How dare this man who retired is making *for fun, and FOR FREE* a ripoff of a game he pretty much created... :facepalm:

Also a good part of tirnanog was ex-IS, so some IS people did "jump ship".

Edited by CrimeanRoyalKnight

How dare this man who retired is making *for fun, and FOR FREE* a ripoff of a game he pretty much created... :facepalm:

Didn't say it wasn't free, but it's still largely based on FE. Obviously you can't sue a free game i think but I highly doubt that Nintendo and say Tsujiyoko for instance even wants to acknowledge Kaga.

That's interesting, do you know which staff members went to Tirnanog? I'm genuinely curious because from my own research the vast majority of people who worked on FE4 & FE5 continued to work at IS, but just on non-FE games.

That's interesting, do you know which staff members went to Tirnanog? I'm genuinely curious because from my own research the vast majority of people who worked on FE4 & FE5 continued to work at IS, but just on non-FE games.

I remember reading it somewhere, so I'll be looking for the source. But it'll be hard because I can't even find the proper credits for TRS!

Don't trust me on it too much, even if it makes sense for some people from IS who worked on FE to follow Kaga.

Didn't say it wasn't free, but it's still largely based on FE. Obviously you can't sue a free game i think but I highly doubt that Nintendo and say Tsujiyoko for instance even wants to acknowledge Kaga.

Nintendo and Kaga both don't want to acknowledge eachother and it's understandable.

But regardless, this man created the series and made a good chunk of titles in it, including Fire Emblem 3 which is a fan favorite in Japan, and his style is indistinct Fire Emblem: he made the game, the tone, the classic "GUY IS A JERK AND DRAGONS ARE BACK" plot, all the archetypes many fans like, etc.

This feud had been going for years and I wish that at least for books and moments like these they'd let that slide.

Kaga has been an idiot to think that back in those days he wouldn't have been sued, and so I can't see why he just couldn't create another strategy game since he can do more things other than FE style gameplay (as shown by Berwick).

However it's so silly to not even MENTION the series creator and godfather in a book about it. It's like talking about Zelda without talking about Miyamoto.

Tsujiyoko-- why would you think she'd have a grudge with him? She very probably respects him --> http://wayback.archive.org/web/20030323163840/http://interviews.rocketbaby.net/interviews_tsujiyoko_yuka_1.html

Also remember that now she's freelance, she's not part of IS and thus Nintendo since 2001, not far from when Kaga left.

I know you dislike every FE before 9 and you have a grudge on the man, but wouldn't it be better to give credit where its due?

And as I said Vestaria Saga might be a ripoff but that's also because the engine its using is a ripoff of FE style gameplay (SRPG maker), plus it's free and he's doing it for fun, so why have it against him? He's old and retired, good God.

I know Mayumi Hirota went to Tirnanog, but I'm not sure from there.

(For whatever reason the quote system is not working for me here so forgive me for doing responses this way.)

@Hardin: I'm glad to hear that Narihiro and Tsujiyoko are both interviewed, at least we get to hear some information there. Wasn't it that Kaga usually gave all the info and they didn't get a lot of say about what happened in regards to things in the story? It's been a long time since I read about early fire emblem development interviews.

@ Freyjador: Gotta agree with you on your comment. Yes having Kaga have some info might have been interesting, but since he's had no connection to the FE series since his departure, I'm not sure he could give anymore insight into what was said other then what he's said before in other interviews. Also at the time with the whole disk system with the PS1 it was a case of issues between Sony and Nintendo, I kind of have to wonder if there was more with kaga leaving regarding connections to Sony and the situation there then what we as consumers know. Given that the whole backwash with Sony came from them getting into a fight with Nintendo over the disk system in the first place. But now I'm getting off topic.

@CrimeanRoyalKnight: Well that depends on two factors. Are the assets in question owned by Nintendo and IS specificially? If so then yes, how dare he take something that is copyrighted and owned by a company and use it to make other games. It's one thing if he's building from scratch it's something totally different if he took material that, by law, would be owned by the company he sold the rights to.

And why is there no proper credits for TRS in the first place? It depends on the people involved in the situation. There are some members of Capcom that left with Inafune but they left for their own reasons and have a beef with the company for some reasons. As the guys from Ubisoft that left stated, they each left for their own reasons and not because their buddy was having issues. Working in the industry is not easy, so you don't want to burn a lot of bridges when you leave, that's dumb. But Kaga wasn't the only one that made the game. Sure he helped design it, but there were two others that helped it along.

The issue becomes who's the one that's holding the grudge? We know that Square for a while had issues with Nintendo and has since worked it out and now works with them to create FF games. Could it be from his side and not Nintendos? Maybe still issues with IS in particular? Unless both sides are willing to come out and talk about it, or we get court documents that go into the details of the suit, which I don't think will happen, it's going to be a while before things simmer down.

This has happened before with other games. There are only some creators that you can most assuredly say have to be mentioned about in a book because they played a part all the way to the programing of the game. Others you can get away with if it was more a group effort. Final Fantasy has that same issue that FE does due to the fact that the creators were more in a group then a single person. Megaman on the other hand had Inafune doing not only art but also helping with level and I think some programing. Would it have been nice, sure. But the question remains on, who's not extending the hand. I mean they could have said, "We tried to get in contact with Kaga but he refused to do an interview for the book." and that would come off as rude.

I think about what happens with the Watchmen, DC and Alan Moore. He wants no connection to the movies or other things to do with the Watchmen, so they really don't talk to him about it.

I don't think anyone's holding a grudge on him, I think it's more an Alan Moore/DC situation. Both sides might be bitter about things, but in their old age they give up caring in some ways.

Not going to lie, I'm baffled by just how pretty Mist's body is >w>...in the most non-perverted way possible.

Yeah I really like the way it looks, the design is great, and the jacket they had her in kind of reminds me of the Heartless, except cuter.

AFAIK TRS was built from scratch, the lawsuit was made because it is literally FE. Kind of like how Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing is Mario Kart with a SEGA paintjob, or how Enchanted Folk and the School of Wizardry is literally Animal Crossing with a magic school twist.

Plus there is the fact that he just quit Nintendo and went to work with a rival in the industry-- that was probably the reason why the lawsuit was fired. I think there is a special law for this sort of thing.

I'm not trying to defend Kaga on how he went to make a FE game on PS right after leaving Nintendo, by the way. As I said it was stupid from his part.

But it's hard to call him a thief because as I said he is the mastermind behind the first 5 FE games: he worked on many of the games' aspects, and judging from the tone of them all, his presence in the staff must've had a great influence. Would you call Inafune a thief for making Mighty N. 9?

And right now he is using the engine in SRPG Maker to make Vestaria Saga, so again no he is not stealing in that regard. And he is working with the engine's limitations, so if anything the thieves are the creators of SRPG Maker, not Kaga.

--

I can't find credits as in--- I can't find a written version of the end credits on the internet.

I too think it's an Alan Moore/DC situation. I'm also not sure if Kaga has a positive opinion of the new FE titles, or on how they reworked FE3 in FE11 and 12.

AFAIK TRS was built from scratch, the lawsuit was made because it is literally FE. Kind of like how Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing is Mario Kart with a SEGA paintjob, or how Enchanted Folk and the School of Wizardry is literally Animal Crossing with a magic school twist.

Plus there is the fact that he just quit Nintendo and went to work with a rival in the industry-- that was probably the reason why the lawsuit was fired. I think there is a special law for this sort of thing.

I'm not trying to defend Kaga on how he went to make a FE game on PS right after leaving Nintendo, by the way. As I said it was stupid from his part.

But it's hard to call him a thief because as I said he is the mastermind behind the first 5 FE games: he worked on many of the games' aspects, and judging from the tone of them all, his presence in the staff must've had a great influence. Would you call Inafune a thief for making Mighty N. 9?

And right now he is using the engine in SRPG Maker to make Vestaria Saga, so again no he is not stealing in that regard. And he is working with the engine's limitations, so if anything the thieves are the creators of SRPG Maker, not Kaga.

--

I can't find credits as in--- I can't find a written version of the end credits on the internet.

I too think it's an Alan Moore/DC situation. I'm also not sure if Kaga has a positive opinion of the new FE titles, or on how they reworked FE3 in FE11 and 12.

Well, Inafune didn't create Mega Man; he didn't have any real involvement with the franchise until X1. And I'm of the personal opinion that Capcom has more than enough grounds for a lawsuit.

Second point: considering his quote about "no player avatars", once can start to imagine... .

Well, Inafune didn't create Mega Man; he didn't have any real involvement with the franchise until X1. And I'm of the personal opinion that Capcom has more than enough grounds for a lawsuit.

Second point: considering his quote about "no player avatars", once can start to imagine... .

I don't know much about the Capcom/Inafune drama, but let's make another example: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

Let's put aside that Konami is crap now: the game is pretty much Castlevania in the style of SoTN, a game made by the same dude who is making Bloodstained.

Would you call it theft?

Can you be treated like a thief when you had created those mechanics? I mean, it's more about trademarks than stealing...

^^^ Yeah, this is what I mean ^^^

I don't know much about the Capcom/Inafune drama, but let's make another example: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

Let's put aside that Konami is crap now: the game is pretty much Castlevania in the style of SoTN, a game made by the same dude who is making Bloodstained.

Would you call it theft?

We know too little about the game overall, and it has its structural differences (the game is using rogue-like procedural generation); though not-Shanoa is not-Shanoa, that's about it. The story also has a theme of alchemy, and doesn't really use Dracula.

Mighty No 9 is structured like -along with having a setting and characters- a Megaman game. A virus released by a mad scientist has caused robots to run amuck, and it's up to one of them made to look like a young boy to fight them and absorb their powers over 8 main stages. That's Mighty No. 9 and Megaman Classic.

What it comes down to is that Bloodstained is a spiritual successor, while Mighty No 9 is much more blatant at its copying. It's the first (and really only) major criticism I have of the country.

Can you be treated like a thief when you had created those mechanics? I mean, it's more about trademarks than stealing...

Well that depends on the issue of who created what, and how many people were involved when the mechanics were altered and fixed. Game programing, when it comes to certain design elements can be seen as a group effort over an indiviuals. Someone can come up with how a character jumps, but another might alter that so that the jump works better, or the math equasion for the points gathered, or what's expected of having a character move across a chess board. In honesty, most strategy games can date their mechanics back to Risk and Chess, so I guess they're all stealing from those two now.

If it is trademarked as IS's intellecual design, then yeah I think it counts towards the idea of stealing as the company owns the rights to the set up. You can make a home brew D&D game but you better not sell or market that item becuase Wizards of the Coast own the mechanics of the game and how it works.

Yeah that's part of the hard thing to figure out. He's playing on the cusp of close to lawsuit territory as he's not directly useing the actual set up for megaman, nor the direct mechanics, but it's damn close.

See to me the first few FE games always felt more like a VNSG rather then a straight on RPSG because most of the time you wern't playing as marth, you were watching his story rather then, you know, being involved in most of the choices in the same way you chose for a RPG.

Would you call it theft?

^^^ Yeah, this is what I mean ^^^

You mean Igarashi? Again that depends on how much his work is using the mechanics from Castle and how much is new. I mean there are always going to be some aspects of gameplay that are the same across the board when developing a game, but other aspects are specific to a series and could get called into question if the game is playing too similar to another game. It could be seen as such if BSRoTN is too close to Castle and thus Konomi may get ticked and go after him.

We know too little about the game overall, and it has its structural differences (the game is using rogue-like procedural generation); though not-Shanoa is not-Shanoa, that's about it. The story also has a theme of alchemy, and doesn't really use Dracula.

Mighty No 9 is structured like -along with having a setting and characters- a Megaman game. A virus released by a mad scientist has caused robots to run amuck, and it's up to one of them made to look like a young boy to fight them and absorb their powers over 8 main stages. That's Mighty No. 9 and Megaman Classic.

What it comes down to is that Bloodstained is a spiritual successor, while Mighty No 9 is much more blatant at its copying. It's the first (and really only) major criticism I have of the country.

Yeah Mighty No.9 has a lot of similarties to Mega, we have to see how it plays out and if Capcom will get annoyed or not.