Play this game before Awakening?

ruadath

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which game should I play first?

• Awakening
    • Fates
  2. 2. Which game has the better storyline?

• Awakening
    • Fates
  3. 3. Which game has better mechanics?

• Awakening
    • Fates

So from what I've heard this game apparently fixes a lot of the issues (both game-mechanics and storywise) from the last game that people didn't like. As someone who has played neither game, when I eventually get a 3DS (which probably won't happen until after the NA version is released), would you recommend playing through this game first? Or would you say that Awakening is better for getting familiar with the feel of the new era of Fire Emblem?

Also just in general, which game do you think has better gameplay mechanics and/or story?

Edited by ruadath

Awakening has the better story, so long as you don't overthink it/attempt to connect to the greater Akaneia-Valencia-Jugdral timeline. Fates' story is rather underwhelming given the talent behind it...

Mechanically speaking, both have their ups and downs. I give a slight edge to Fates.

As for which to play first, Awakening. Get a feel for the new direction now, see if you like it, and go on from there. Also, Awakening has been getting sales in the US recently, and is like 5-10 bucks cheaper in Canada than Fates, so there's less of an up-front investment.

Awakening is not a bad game but it has his issues. The story is kinda well... far from being perfect but Fates also has his issues.

Awakening has a main battle mechanic but it's so easy to use, almost ''brainless''. The battle mechanic is much better in Fates but the only thing that was bad in Fates was the...

children mechanic. In Awakening, it's literally the main purpose of your early trainings, kinda like a main part of the story (but it's still optional). Fates, on the other hand, put also the children mechanic but not only that the children are not in the main story, but they don't seem memorable unlike the children in Awakening.

I suggest Awakening because it is a good start for the 3ds era. Even I, can play this game will no problem (bless casual mode).

Pretty much what everyone else said. FEA first.

FEA has the much better story then Fates(Which is saying something as FEAs story is also quite lackluster). Also why bother waiting a year to play FEA after Fates when you could play it now. Also from personal experience it is hard to go back to FEA after Fates since Fates' gameplay is just so much better and also not as brainless and easy to beat.

- Which game should I play first?

Since you're in the NA region, Awakening. If you have a JP 3DS, I'd say otherwise: play Fates while it's hot and new.

​

- Which game has the better storyline?

Awakeninig feels kind of serious, until you get to the extras that basically nullifies the seriousness of character deaths.

Fates at least has better supports. It failed in parts like common sense (the player's group is always powerless to prevent deaths when the obvious solution is right there) and I think it has this "dark for the sake of being dark" issue going on.

Both aren't among the best you can find in the series.

- Which game has better mechanics?

Fates, hands down.

I'd play Awakening first. It'll probably end up being cheaper because you can find a used copy, and if you end up liking it, I imagine it'll be more entertaining going from the easier game to the harder one. Also, Fates has some Awakening shout outs that'll probably make the experience a lil more enjoyable if you've played the game.

I enjoyed both stories. Personally, I prefer Fates, and I think the writing itself is a lil better, but that's just me. I suppose Awakening is probably closer in style to the older games, though, if that was more your taste. I guess Awakening also stood out to me as a lil clunky near the end, like it needed a lil more writing in some parts.

I have yet to play Fates so I wouldn't know how the storyline or mechanics are in comparison. I've played Awakening though and I thought it was pretty fun for my first game in the series. I think that if you want a feel for how the 3DS games are going (cause seeing some gameplay, Fates does look like it operates like Awakening) then try out Awakening. It's just one game, unlike Fates where if you want to see all routes that's three, so if you don't like it you're not out on much money.

Mechanics wise, Fates is better by far. Storywise, both has it's issues but Fates has better characters (better supports?) and that is what would put Fates above Awakening to me.

Edit: I should probably mention that Awakening is still easier to get atm thus easier to play first like many people have said. Still I wanted to give my opinion because my friend asked me the same thing recently because having limited time to play games means the second game might never be gotten around to.

Edited by Hatsuoki

Fates is heads and shoulders above Awakening in terms of gameplay mechanics, so much it would probably be hard to go back to Awakening. Nohr also has far more interesting map design.

Storywise, Awakening is not exceptional but decent if you don't think too hard about a few things. Fate's plot holes and contrivances (particularly in Nohr, Hoshido is less offensive) are too hard to ignore to make the story enjoyable.

If you like Awakening, you will probably like Hoshido. Nohr all the way for better maps.

Edited by NekoKnight