Is Gaiden, Genealogy of the Holy War, and Thracia 776 worth playing?

SSbardock84

Worth Playing?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Gaiden?

2. 2. Genealogy of Holy War?

3. 3. Thracia 776

Are they worth playing? I played a little bit of Genealogy and it wasn't too bad, but I want to hear your guys full opinion on the games and to know if they're worth playing. I still might play them but I just want to know if I'd be disappointed or not.

Edited by SSbardock84

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genealogy of the Holy War is the best FE game imo. Thracia is pretty good from what I've played, it's just so damn hard. Gaiden is fine. From what I played, it had cool ideas, but meh execution.

2 might feel a little outdated for you.

4 and 5 are really good although you might find some flaws in it for yourself.

The problem with 4 is that it is really big maps that can drag by sometimes. But the story is amazing.

5 Is more traditional but has some insane difficulty you can play with 2x the exp mode to try to balance that. The translation patch is the worst in the series also. But other than that the game is definitely one of the best in the series.

Gaiden: If you can get past the clunkiness and datedness it's fine. I found it to be rather slow. It has RPG elements that make it rather unique.

Genealogy: Part of the amazing Jugdral Saga. A 'must play' game. The large maps, though can be a bit tedious sometimes, especially when you have to do awful backtracks, like the trek back to home base in Chapter 4.

Thracia 776: YES, YES, and YES. Did I say 'yes'? Though I am a bit biased, as it's my favorite FE game so far (however, I'm waiting to see if Fates takes that spot). I love the graphics, the capture system, PCC, defend maps, classes, etc. I could go on for paragraphs discussing why it's so good. It has a learning curve, but just read a guide/walkthrough and you'll be fine. You absolutely MUST have staff users and magic units make up the majority of your main offensive force; Sages are so OP and broken, it's not funny. Magic and Staves are ridiculously powerful, especially when you can get infinite range Warp, Berserk, Rescue, Silence, Rewarp, Physic, Thief, and Sleep staves. It's a challenge, but it's so much fun! Remember, Restore staves are your best friends! ;)

Edited by Leif

Geneology: The one problem in this game is the reletively large amounts of time spent walking between encounters(which realy isin't as nearly bad as many people say IMO). The plot is great, and the i personaly like the children mechanic better than awakenings reincarnation of it.

Thracia: Honestly, This game is HARD, but that dosn't mean that it isn't fun to play. The secret "elite mode" (which, despite the name, actualy makes the game easier by doubling everyone's exp as if they had the elite skill) Helps, but not as much as you would think. Most of the reason that it is so hard is that it throws situations at you that you need to be clever to solve. The game plays more like a giant puzzle than anything else.

Gaiden: decent, and unlike any other FE games (fe8 is closest), But it has a LOT of rough edges. It also has an easy mode, which works exactly like thracia's.

One last thing: all three of these games have poorly explained mechanics and some outright strategy guide bait. It is up to you how much you want to look up. Beware that some of geneologie's mechanics are extremely spoilery.

Edited by sirmola

Gaiden: I'd say its worth at least 1 playthrough. It even has an Easy Mode if you want extra exp.

Genealogy of the Holy War: Out of the 3 I'd say it has the most replayability. Marriage system originated in this game. Skills too. The story is really good too. Very dark compared to games before and after it and 5. Maps are huge, Gold is individual not shared even get a little bit of tower defense on some chapters.

Thracia 776: The pinnacle of Kaga Emblem. It is a lot of peoples favorite and talked about for a reason. You should play it and find out. :) Midquel to Genealogy.

Gaiden's a maybe, but IMHO, the Jugdral games have some serious problems that lead me to say no to them.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Gaiden... probably not. It's really aged, not a whole lot going for it and probably not worth looking at unless you're a hardcore fan.

FE4 is pretty cool and unique, but it's mechanics are odd and the interface is non-standard. It's a little poorly aged and the maps are enormous. Could be fun, but again, unless you're a good fan of the series, then maybe not.

Thracia is a bit better as far as map size goes and arguably how it's aged, but it's insanely difficult and its mechanics aren't terribly accessible, so maybe that's a nono too.

Up to you, in the end.

Thracia's "difficulty" comes more with its enemies being smarter despite their lesser stats and the fact that they throw some dickish moves at you, but as far as general difficulty goes.

FE6 HM, FE11 H5 (somewhat) and FE12 Lunatic are the kings of true difficulty.

You really should actually play something before you say anything about it though, pet peeve of mine though I suppose.

Edited by Jedi

gaiden and thracia are worth at least one playthrough gaiden has interesting ideas but hasn't aged the best. thracia also has some cool ideas but be warned it can be incredibly frustrating especially to a newcomer but it does make it satisfying to finally beat chapters. also both games have a good soundtrack.

Genealogy on the other hand is a game in whole heartingly reccomend great story, mechanics, soundtrack. whilst some design choices are arcaic and odd i dosn't hamper on the experience. i can also be a little frustrating but no where near what thracia has to offer.

I myself didn't ran into so much difficulty with Thracia. I don't know why it is considered to be hard, when obviously Genealogy of the Holy War is the hardest of the three. As of playing them, as other people commented here, all three of them are different; but worth playing.

Genealogy is my personal favourite and for others as well for good reasons, so I'd obviously recommend that. Just be aware that maps are large and take a while to complete. I'm in the middle of Thracia 776 myself, and I think you should give it a shot if you can overcome the difficulty and few translation issues with the menus and text. I love the gameplay additions including the fatigue system and the capturing mechanic. Not sure about Gaiden since I haven't played it, but I am planning to.

Edited by DragonLord

Now I don't like to say much about games I haven't played but keep in mind I've never actually finished Gaiden or Thracia

But I gave a sort of to Gaiden and Thracia, as well as a yes to Genealogy

While Genealogy's gameplay can be pretty unbalanced, and have a few rather frustrating moments, it's overall a pretty great game. I loved the story, and I enjoyed the gameplay. The huge maps might be a turn off to some, but I didn't have a problem with them at all. Also, you can save every turn. That's worth mentioning.

Gaiden depends on whether or not you can forgive huge flaws. I don't even consider it a good game, but I still recommend trying it out, since there's a little fun to be had there (I do know a lot of people here like it). Thracia is a much harder game than the other two, although it's also the one that requires the most strategy. There are a few examples of "wait what the fuck how was I supposed to know that", but it's still a pretty fun game. It adds plenty of fun mechanics that haven't been in any other Fire Emblem game to date, such as PCC, capture, and fatigue. I recommend at least trying it to see if you'll enjoy it.

Edited by maybe

Thanks everyone so far, I didn't expect this many people to reply so soon. I figured as much that Gaiden wasn't as good as the other two. I think I'll start with that one though when I play it. I'm a pretty big Fire Emblem fan so I want to play all of them. Also which one has the best characters would you guys say?

FE2: I suggest that you play a few maps and if you can't get past the rather dated mechanics then leave it at that. Story wise the game is nothing special so you're not missing much. If you can sit through the mechanics then by all means play it to the end. It's one of the most unique games in the series in terms of raw gameplay.

FE4: Great game, and some of its features really make it stand out. It has flaws for sure, but they're mostly situational and they don't bring down the game as a whole.

FE5: This game is only super difficult if you're going in completely blind (it's actually the easiest in the series to break), which I DON'T reccomend. There are certain features in this game that aren't particularly intuitive so it's better to know them beforehand (like the trick behind Escape maps). Other than that, it's a great game and one of my favorites.

You are welcome, SSBardock.

Gaiden it's not worth.

Geneaology and Thracia yes. Holy shit yes. And, people please, play Thracia before talk about it or spread misconceptions. It's not hard.

And Geneaology is the easier FE with SS, PoR and Awakening.

Leif is the best character in the saga, and he is in both games, so it's a total win.

Edited by ENS

Maybe on Gaiden, I haven't played it personally so I can't really talk about it.

Thracia is my personal fav. It's actually quite easy and also one of the ones that can get really broken if you know exactly what you're doing and it's hilarious. And great.

I also liked FE4. That one was my favorite until Thracia came and pushed it out of the top spot.