(Spoilers) Ways IS could have justified the appearance of children?

Zerxen

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd go the other direction and have no justification for it at all. i figure that if they're going to shoehorn babymaking into games whose setups don't call for it, they may as well drop the pretense and be honest and upfront about why it's there, like so: "er silas why do you suddenly have a daughter" "because we need that sweet, sweet fe13 cashpile. why else would i have one?"

Edited by bookofholsety

Make them explicitly non-canon. With simple edits to text, one could completely change how the children are incorporated into the game's world. Basically change the "They all gave birth really fast and threw their kids in a pocket universe to save them from baby-eating monsters" CG to:

"Little by little, love blossomed throughout the army. Be it not for the war, each of the couples would have wed and started families of their own. Perhaps their children would have inherited their skill for battle..."

Then the paralogue would unlock, with a map description like:

"What would Saizou's child have been like? Perhaps the mysterious Outrealms hold the answer. In a distant world much like his own, Saizou has a son, Gray, who has found himself in a great deal of trouble..."

Edited by gayserbeam

Why not make it so that they're only accessible in postgame, after you've beaten the main story campaign at least once? Rather than making them recruitable in paralogues that become available during the story, if you can't get kids until after the story is done it'll give you the idea that they're not really part of the story.

If you want the children to be accessible in the main game, the third path could've pulled an FE4 at some point and had the kids take over for their parents.

That idea doesn't make them non-canon. In fact the kids from Awakening were already from an alternate future unaffected by the timeline they traveled back into.

But traveling to the future is way better than having kids for no reason during a war.

Perhaps "non-canon" isn't the right phrase. I just needed a better way to say "completely divorced from the main story and not even existing in this dimension / timeline." They can't just be from the future though, since

Azura dies in two routes and can have kids before that

so aside from rewriting the entire story, the most logical way is just to make them "What if?" characters who aren't really part of the plot.

In Awakening and Genealogy of the Holy War, children appeared due to plot reasons, unlike Fates. What do you think IS should've done rather than go with the hyperbolic time chamber ass pull?

I'd rather this, as it doesn't force them to be part of the plot.

By making them not children. Let them be a unit's personal trainee/younger sibling/cousin/or simply another character in the story that couldn't initially fight for whatever reason. The fact that said pre-determined units train them explains why they would inherit their skills and stats. If marriage is involved, the spouse will also be in charge of the training.

Edited by Ryo

I figure if we have to have a way to explain kids that shouldn't exist then it should be like an alternate Kamui put their power to make bond units to good use and made babies for everyone by breathing life into the earth. That's how bond units are made.

And their dad did rip his own heart and insanity out to give them human form. So they can clearly make kids through the power of love.

This would also allow the Femui/Shara and Mamui/Zero to have kids.

Make them explicitly non-canon. With simple edits to text, one could completely change how the children are incorporated into the game's world. Basically change the "They all gave birth really fast and threw their kids in a pocket universe to save them from baby-eating monsters" CG to:

"Little by little, love blossomed throughout the army. Be it not for the war, each of the couples would have wed and started families of their own. Perhaps their children would have inherited their skill for battle..."

"What would Saizou's child have been like? Perhaps the mysterious Outrealms hold the answer. In a distant world much like his own, Saizou has a son, Gray, who has found himself in a great deal of trouble..."

I actually like this..

I'd like this implementation, but I also wish they could have just taken out the instant marriages. The narrative problems started with S-rank supports, the children are merely the result of that dumb writing.

I believe children should come POST-GAME, along with lots of additional content to play through. We can say X amount of years have passed. Even throw in aged models for their parents. FE4-esque, you could say, but considering it did it the best, that is the best model to follow.

Yeah, they'd have been fine as outrealm only or post-game only or something similar--working them into the plot would've been silly no matter how they did it, outside of an actual 2nd generation of plot. What baffles me even more for awakening and fates is having child-like or young teens first generation characters and older, late teens child characters. Kind of messed. Like, Shino could pass for early 20s while meanwhile some of the 1st gens are 12-14 at best.

They could just get rid of the idea that there should be "children" and just make new characters on their own. I don't like that the kids are the same age as their parents when they're not coming from a distant future.

I'd prefer they just do away with the children concept entirely and put marriages and stuff back in the epilogue, but if that's not an option, might as well keep resorting to time travel. Like, Awakening already wove the entire series into a single continuity, meaning time travel already exists in Fates' universe. There's absolutely no reason for them to be barfing up ridiculous new sci-fi explanations, since they can already do pretty much whatever they need to with the time-space shenanigans Awakening introduced. It's just... why

I'd love it if they just chucked an FE4 / Timeskip for kids. Combined with a more complex marriage/ inheritance system it'd be way more sophisticated than their lazy shoehorning into if, but that would mean basing a whole game on that concept which I'm not sure they'd commit to.

But even though I didn't necessarily love how the kids were included into if, given it was just really lazy and messy, I'd rather they stay child characters because otherwise it loses the draw that they were going for and that people evidently enjoy; marriage mechanics that lead to kids who inherit things from their parents (physically and statistically) based on the player's choices and fight alongside their parents.

Probably not a popular opinion but I really dislike FE4's format, because most of the times I'm more attached and interested in the first generation than their children, and would appreciate it if I could use them throughout the game, even if the children's presence makes sense in the overall narrative.

Probably not a popular opinion but I really dislike FE4's format, because most of the times I'm more attached and interested in the first generation than their children, and would appreciate it if I could use them throughout the game, even if the children's presence makes sense in the overall narrative.

I think most people who like Fe4 prefer the first generation, at least I prefer the first half. Presumably if they would make a game in fe4's style, they would give the second generation characters considerably more characterization; not just the implicit characterization with the characters' parents history.

While I love some of the children (Tinny, I just want to take you home), I like the first gen more too.

In Awakening and Genealogy of the Holy War, children appeared due to plot reasons, unlike Fates. What do you think IS should've done rather than go with the hyperbolic time chamber ass pull?

Implying that dimensional time travel is not an a**-pull.

To me, the time-skip is the only way to have a "good" excuse for a second generation. Nothing prevents you from having most of the 1st gen back (with some wrinkle). If you want to keep the first gen young and fresh, you are forced to find an a**-pull (but instead of going time-related shenanigans, simple petrifaction works)

Edited by Sartek

I've been thinking about this and maybe making the children come from alternate dimensions or such might be the better solution.

Regardless, it is practically certain in my eyes that the localisation team is going to alter the plot of how the children characters came to be in some ways.

I think that incorporating the children into post game scenarios would have been a good way to go. Heck, why not have a small post game campaign about the children themselves.

Either that or a time skip like in Genealogy of the Holy War.