(Spoilers) Ways IS could have justified the appearance of children?

Zerxen

I think more than ways to justify it, they could've kept it more simple. Just by saying "I came from an alternate dimension to help my parents. No need to believe me, just treat me as any new recruit" something like that. The feature is there really only for the sake of being there this time around, and attempts to explain it only made things worse.

I think IS didn't want to make a remake of Awakening support.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think IS didn't want to make a remake of Awakening support.

The thing is that if you don't have some bullshit like that, and are not willing to skip a generation, then we're out of options. Can you honestly say, though, Time Traveling or ~Alternate Dimensions~ are less of a crime than women giving birth between one chapter and the other. I haven't played the game but I am sure there are situations where you can marry two units and get their child in between two story chapters that are continuous according plot.

-Malik Caesar from Tales of Graces acts like he's fucking 50 sometimes, but he's barely in his 30s.

I know it's like, years too late to respond lol, but Malik is 40, making him more or less twice as old as everyone else on the team. Not exactly ancient, but not exactly in his prime either. And when you are old enough to be the father of the next oldest member of the team (she herself being a grown woman... technically), people will call you old. He WAS 33 in the childhood arc, so maybe you were thinking about that.

Edited by NeptuniasBeard

I'd love if they had more complex family dynamics which are determined on who you put together, if you do at all, which could be more easily implemented by limiting supports (so it's unlikely to happen.)

So like, if A + B get married, their child is totally unique to the child that is produced if A + C get married and there's no other way to get these children or something. That would lead to some neat support changes and family dynamics. Maybe even if one couple gets married/ together, instead of having a child they raise and train an apprentice / squire-type character.

Idk, something more interesting than [Parent 1 has child. Child's hair colour and stat mods change based on Parent 2.]

I really like this idea, not only would this allow Zero and Shara to have kids if they married same-sex but also would be better in terms of character development.

The idea of completely unique children is basically impossible. Not only would you need limited supports, you'd need to limit the characters that can support too. Fates has 21 2nd gen characters. You'd need to distribute those among all possible pairings, which would mean only 21 S support rankings would be possible in the game.

They could add some extra characteristics that would change based on the variable parent, but the idea of completely unique children just isn't feasible.

The idea of completely unique children is basically impossible. Not only would you need limited supports, you'd need to limit the characters that can support too. Fates has 21 2nd gen characters. You'd need to distribute those among all possible pairings, which would mean only 21 S support rankings would be possible in the game.

They could add some extra characteristics that would change based on the variable parent, but the idea of completely unique children just isn't feasible.

I can see your point, but I do feel that depending on the parent, the child should have some form of difference from what they would be with other parents other then hair colour ans stats. Like they did it in Future Past in FEA and while yes it would require more supports, I highly doubt it would be unfeasible.

I wasn't really talking about Fates but I do think it could have benefited from improving upon the child mechanic rather than just porting it over. Default other-parent supports and stagnant personalities based on who their mother is is boring, imo. Maybe "completely unique" children is a stretch, but honestly I'd love if each character only had 1-3 S support candidates and if their child's personality and conversations changed in at least some way. For Fates, yes, it would be impossible based on the sheer number of characters and the unimportance of the 2nd gen. But if they were to delve deeper into the feature and make it a focus in a future game, I don't see how it could be a huge problem.

I can see your point, but I do feel that depending on the parent, the child should have some form of difference from what they would be with other parents other then hair colour ans stats. Like they did it in Future Past in FEA and while yes it would require more supports, I highly doubt it would be unfeasible.

Basically this, though. Reading how the kids' Future Past convos with their respective fathers changed was a pretty cool experience.

I wasn't really talking about Fates but I do think it could have benefited from improving upon the child mechanic rather than just porting it over. Default other-parent supports and stagnant personalities based on who their mother is is boring, imo. Maybe "completely unique" children is a stretch, but honestly I'd love if each character only had 1-3 S support candidates and if their child's personality and conversations changed in at least some way. For Fates, yes, it would be impossible based on the sheer number of characters and the unimportance of the 2nd gen. But if they were to delve deeper into the feature and make it a focus in a future game, I don't see how it could be a huge problem.

I wasn't talking specifically about Fates either. I mentioned Fates because it has the highest number of characters for a 2nd gen there. Either way though, the number of characters make that idea basically impossible. For example, if you have 5 characters, each one with three S level supports with the opposite gender, you'd already need to make 15 unique children, while at best you'd get 5 in a single playthrough.

Now, just adding one extra detail or giving them unique supports is another matter, but actual unique characters for each pairing (so, not only their supports with their parents would change, but also with other characters, and they'd have different design, rather than just hair color) just isn't practical. I guess it could be done if you reduced each character to 2 S supports, but that'd already heavily cripple the player options for S supports and the mechanic customization of the children.

I wasn't talking specifically about Fates either. I mentioned Fates because it has the highest number of characters for a 2nd gen there. Either way though, the number of characters make that idea basically impossible. For example, if you have 5 characters, each one with three S level supports with the opposite gender, you'd already need to make 15 unique children, while at best you'd get 5 in a single playthrough.

Now, just adding one extra detail or giving them unique supports is another matter, but actual unique characters for each pairing (so, not only their supports with their parents would change, but also with other characters, and they'd have different design, rather than just hair color) just isn't practical. I guess it could be done if you reduced each character to 2 S supports, but that'd already heavily cripple the player options for S supports and the mechanic customization of the children.

It was just an ideal scenario. Like I said, variables which change a character's dialogue and supports wouldn't be much to do in a game that hypothetically revolves around a 1st gen - 2nd gen skip. I feel like I already addressed this point in my other post and am repeating myself but I acknowledge that it's not practical or realistic but my main point was making them at least a little unique instead of just the same character regardless of the player choice.

It'd be cool also if there could exist certain sibling pairs depending on who you married and who have different interactions based on this but again, it's just ideal.