Miitomo (Nintendo's First Major Smartphone App)

kingddd

17.jpg

Screenshots below:

06.jpg

04.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

At an investors meeting in Tokyo today, Nintendo revealed some details on its very first smartphone game: a free-to-play title called Miitomo. As reported by the Wall Street Journal, the new game will let players customize their Mii avatars, which will then communicate with Miis made by other players. It's not clear how the game will actually play, however. It'll be free to download with character add-ons available as in-app purchases.

However, while Nintendo originally planned to release its first smartphone game by the end of this year, it's now been delayed until next March. The company plans to release four additional titles by March 2017. According to new Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima, who succeeded the late Satoru Iwata, the game was delayed in order to better promote it. The company plans to start promoting Miitomo after the busy holiday season.

The meeting also provided a few other details about Nintendo's new mobile initiative, most notably the fact that the company will use a cloud transfer system to share data between mobile and console games. And while Miitomo will be a free download, other releases will be traditional paid games.

Nintendo first announced its plan to get into mobile gaming in March, and the five games will be created in collaboration with Japanese mobile gaming giant DeNA. Outside of that partnership, Nintendo also recently announced a new augmented reality mobile title called Pokemon Go, built in conjunction with The Pokemon Company and former Google subsidiary Niantic Labs.

Following the presentation, Nintendo said in a statement that Miitomo is "a free-to-start communication application that helps friends share fun personal facts and interests. Consumers create and use their own Mii characters to engage friends in a welcoming social environment, answering questions and sharing information to discover more about each other and what they have in common. Miitomo is designed to appeal to a wide range of global smart device users and introduce them to uniquely Nintendo experiences beginning with Miitomo and carried through future applications.")

Today in Japan, Nintendo announced its first smartphone game. It’s a free-to-play title and called Miitomo.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Nintendo said that the app is ideal for players who are reluctant to reveal things about themselves or talk to others.
In Miitomo, each player first makes their own Mii. Then, players are asked a series of questions and based on those answers, they communicate with other Miis.
Think of it as a social networking game, but for Miis.
This communication app is used with Nintendo’s new service, My Nintendo. According to Nintendo, that service is described as a way to bridge consoles and smartphone devices.
Miitomo will be out by March 2016. As mentioned previously, it’s free-to-play but with add-ons available for purchase. This is the first of five smartphone games Nintendo has announced it’s releasing by March 2017. Other titles will be paid downloads.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/151029/05.html
http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/28/9633272/nintendo-smartphone-game-miitomo
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/10/29/nintendo-and-denas-first-mobile-game-is-miitomo-launch-delayed-to-2016

Edited by kingddd

Actually, this one makes a lot of sense. Tomadachi Life always seemed like it'd be good for phones, this seems like a simplified version of that. At least it isn't something like Mushroom Kingdom Farm.

I don't get it.

well like I get what it's for and all but

is there any actual gameplay involved or is it just some weird minimalistic social network thing

Edited by maybe

I wonder if the only thing you can do on it is messaging,because if it is,I'm not spending any money/space for basically the same thing my phone can do already.

Edited by ShadowShine

I wonder if the only thing you can do on it is messaging,because if it is,I'm not spending any money/space for basically the same thing my phone can do already.

it's free to play. The question is what limits are there.