Recolored Portraits

Strict_Gryphon90

Salutations!

I've decided to take Primefusion's advice and do some portrait recoloring until I get some better mugs. I'm going to post my work here so everyone can see it. Feedback is greatly appreciated. Best to iron out the mistakes before I make all of them (I've got about 25 to do, and just this 1 took about 4 hours. I'm not an artist :/).

Click to enlarge the image.

I did a recolor of Fir for my character Violet:

post-18372-0-42398800-1446241245_thumb.png

Thanks and have a radical day.

Gryphon

Edited by Strict_Gryphon90

I dont know what style you want your hack to be, but I find the colors used initially harsh on the eyes. After testing it out in paint, I think the bright purples would look better if they were cooler. As in, more blue. I can guess you want Violet's colors to be, well, violet, but violet can also be cool-toned.

tumblr_nx24etUqPC1u6mcruo1_1280.png

Since its thrown together very poorly and I'd rather you just didn't, please don't use the edit I did as this is just an example of what I mean. I think the colors should be cool-toned and/or more grey, just to lesson the eyestrain. However, again, I don't know what constraints or goals you're working with here.

It's okay to have one very saturated colour (Roy's hair, for example), but your pinks and purples are all at 85%+ saturation and they clash with each other. She also looks kind of flat and lifeless, because you've removed one of the skin tones (which are also oversaturated and look orange) and filled in the highlights on her eyes.

When you're not sure about colours, just grab them straight from an existing portrait (don't mix FE6/7 and 8 colours though). For example, using Wendy pink and Juno purple, with Garret skin tone and fixing up the eyes a bit:

eMstnq8.png

You've also got some banding going on with the white strap things:

banding.png

I guess just do some basic reading about pixel art and colour theory, and you'll save yourself a lot of time in the long run.

Oh, and your blink frame is misaligned. That's all I got.

I dont know what style you want your hack to be, but I find the colors used initially harsh on the eyes. After testing it out in paint, I think the bright purples would look better if they were cooler. As in, more blue. I can guess you want Violet's colors to be, well, violet, but violet can also be cool-toned.

Since its thrown together very poorly and I'd rather you just didn't, please don't use the edit I did as this is just an example of what I mean. I think the colors should be cool-toned and/or more grey, just to lesson the eyestrain. However, again, I don't know what constraints or goals you're working with here.

Whoops, I should have mentioned what style I'm going for. To be honest I wasn't really going for either. I was just doing what I thought looked good. lol, I hope that statement doesn't make me sound like I have bad taste in colors. But I guess I'll need to go for a more FE6/7 style since I'm using portraits from those games.

I see what you mean; cooler colors. I'll give it a shot.

Also: Violet! You're turning violet, Violet! - Sam Beauregarde, Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

It's okay to have one very saturated colour (Roy's hair, for example), but your pinks and purples are all at 85%+ saturation and they clash with each other. She also looks kind of flat and lifeless, because you've removed one of the skin tones (which are also oversaturated and look orange) and filled in the highlights on her eyes.

When you're not sure about colours, just grab them straight from an existing portrait (don't mix FE6/7 and 8 colours though). For example, using Wendy pink and Juno purple, with Garret skin tone and fixing up the eyes a bit:

You've also got some banding going on with the white strap things:

I guess just do some basic reading about pixel art and colour theory, and you'll save yourself a lot of time in the long run.

Oh, and your blink frame is misaligned. That's all I got.

Got it, look out for too much saturation. So would you say I need at least 3 different skin tones?

Borrowing colors from another portrait is a good idea. I'll be sure to do that.

Got any recommendations for tutorials? Also, thanks for pointing out the eye frames.

Much appreciated you two. I'll give another update after I have the next version.

Gryphon

Most characters have at least 5 skin tones, all of which should be kept if you want the thing to look like it's from FE.

Oh wow, I never noticed that many, probably because they blend together seamlessly. Perhaps I should have a closer look. Thanks for letting me know.