Which should I get first? Final Fantasy 7, 8, or 9?

Busterman64

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which game should I get first?

• Final Fantasy 7
    • Final Fantasy 8
    • Final Fantasy 9

While I may be a fan of Final Fantasy, I haven't really had touched the Ps1 (big) titles yet (I've played:

• FF1 I got 3/4 of the way through recently, after putting it down constantly, but I put it down again.
  • FF2 I got to the ice caverns(i think that's what it's called) which is 1/4 of the way through, haven't played the game since (which was like...5 or so years ago)
  • FF3 (DS) I'm near the end. Just need to go through the mirror.
  • FF5 (I really like this one) I got half-way through (after Galuf saves you from Exdeath)
  • FF6 I got to the part where you meet Edgar and leave on chocobos and stopped (years ago. I should really re-vist this one in the future).
  • FF10 Near the end as well. I'm about to fight Sin(outside of him).
  • FF12 I got 3/6 the way through, got to a boss that uses fire bursts of the sorts and stopped because he kept killing me. (I'm sure this is some point after fighting the Death Wall or whatever it's called.)

...Yeah, I need to work on beating one of the games before tackling the others, which I will! )

I really want to play the Ps1 games, and even more so after watching playthroughs of them (not all the way through though, no more than half. Actually, I watched less than half).

I don't know much about either one except:

• FF7: It's very praised (and called "Overrated", but I don't care. I'll make my own opinion of that game) , Cloud Strife before Advent. Children, and Sephiroth used "Jump" on Aerith.
  • FF8: It's a bit harder to pick up than the other games, you can break the game if you know how, and Squall isn't very likable near the beginning (as far as I am concerned).
  • FF9: Trance, the friendly animals, a little bit about Vivi, "Steal" works a bit differently( and is a bit harder to pull off...at least for rare stuff anyway) and the super extra boss (or as I call it, "The great ball of death") that is HARD AS CRACKERS (...probably not the best example...:3)! I've seen videos of that fight a year or so ago after a friend of mine told me about it and...dear lord...so much death...

So yeah, let me know which I should get first? I'm not getting them now, but I will later. Who knows, I may ask for one or two of them for Christmas! Anyway, Thanks in advance! :3

(P.S.: Tips are also helpful! Thanks again! ) :Joshua:

(P.S.S: [This may not matter much, but...] Just for reference, on Youtube I watched the playthroughs [partly] of:

• Somecalllmejohnny (he streamed FF7)
  • BrainScratchComms
  • SuperJeenius

...Just throwing it out there.)

3a12d3f0d163439838a5bc6b4d9dd021.png?ito

I'm sorry to give a kind of jerky answer, but if you have already watched videos of all three games and have formed opinions on the games, you should probably have a better idea of your own interests than other people.

That being said, I would personally say 8 or 9. Also, stealing in 9 is actually quite easy. Your Mc can do it no matter what, and I'd you want to target harder to get items he can get a skill that let's him steal items in reverse order of rarity.

Also, why the heck did you say 3/6 instead of 1/2? Kinda funny tbh :)

VIII is just hard to get into period. I'd try that one last.

VII is good, but it's aged very poorly and is the only one of the three confirmed for a remake so...

IX. It's the easiest to get into imo, has aged the best, and is just overall one of the best in the series.

Just beat 7 a few months ago, my first final fantasy ever. Don't know why DavidSW said 9 is the best, I've heard it's among the worst in the series.

Anyway, I really did enjoy 7, it's an easy game if you use materia properly

The highlight of 7, for me, was a side character. Never played 8, should get around to it.

That leaves 9, which is a favorite of mine (and if liking 9 is wrong, then I don't want to be right). The choice should be obvious. :P:

Just beat 7 a few months ago, my first final fantasy ever. Don't know why DavidSW said 9 is the best, I've heard it's among the worst in the series.

Anyway, I really did enjoy 7, it's an easy game if you use materia properly

Obviously heard from poor opinions. Considering 9 is like one of the absolute best games in the franchise. With some of the best characters, towns and just overall atmosphere.

7, and 9 I'd recommend, 8 is hit and miss. Not sure about waiting for the FF7 remake, considering its sounding like it'll be more a re-imagining then a true remake.

Edited by Jedi

I'd go with FF7 to be honest. The game play simpler in a good way. Materia is given rather quickly to the player, so you can begin customizing party members a fair amount from the get go. Levels are gained in a non-active way, so even non-combatant party members receive EXP, which means you can use whomever you want whenever you want without worrying about being underleveled. Skills are dependent on materia, and most of them are purchasable and don't require a lot of effort to find and maintain.

FF8 is a bit wonky. It's hard to find this game as balanced. It's either you crushing the enemy, or you'll have a hard time. On secondary playthroughs it's easier to find the balance to force it to be balanced, but in a standard playthrough? Nope.

FF9 is pretty good as well in my eyes, but it has some things I don't like. Party members are constantly out and in, and it doesn't use non-active Exp gain, so characters have disproportionate levels based on the amount of time that they are present in the party -- and the game has a bias towards 3 of the party members in the game, so they are pretty much guaranteed to be better off. Sidequests are definitely more plentiful, but in that, there is more stuff to permanently miss-- which can beget much furor if you're a certain type of player. However, the battle system is MUCH slower than both FF7 and FF8-- it's honestly the slowest battle system in the series, which can cause battles to become a bit more annoying than they were in the previous ones. That said, the story is pretty good, and easily has the cleanest translation of the 3 PSX Final Fantasy games making it the easiest to get into.

I'm sorry to give a kind of jerky answer, but if you have already watched videos of all three games and have formed opinions on the games, you should probably have a better idea of your own interests than other people.

That being said, I would personally say 8 or 9. Also, stealing in 9 is actually quite easy. Your Mc can do it no matter what, and I'd you want to target harder to get items he can get a skill that let's him steal items in reverse order of rarity.

Also, why the heck did you say 3/6 instead of 1/2? Kinda funny tbh :)

True, true, but at the same time, I haven't watched a whole lot of either one (except maybe FF8, but even then, it wasn't a lot either) and I rather get a bit farther in before making a concrete opinion (..I could probably now, buuut...I rather give each game a bit more time to prove itself to me).

Also...Oops...I meant to put 2/6 instead of 3/6...herp derp :P

FF9 is pretty good as well in my eyes, but it has some things I don't like. Party members are constantly out and in, and it doesn't use non-active Exp gain, so characters have disproportionate levels based on the amount of time that they are present in the party -- and the game has a bias towards 3 of the party members in the game, so they are pretty much guaranteed to be better off. Sidequests are definitely more plentiful, but in that, there is more stuff to permanently miss-- which can beget much furor if you're a certain type of player. However, the battle system is MUCH slower than both FF7 and FF8-- it's honestly the slowest battle system in the series, which can cause battles to become a bit more annoying than they were in the previous ones. That said, the story is pretty good, and easily has the cleanest translation of the 3 PSX Final Fantasy games making it the easiest to get into.

I think during the playthrough I was watching, one of the guys said to crank up the battle speed in the options all the way up to 9 to speed things up a bit. Not by a lot though.

Also, I remember hearing something about Excaliber in FF9.

Edited by Busterman64

THe only one of those three that I have played was FF7, which i did not like as much as 5 or 6, but liked more than 1-4 (which i played all 4 of, although i only got as far in 3 as you did).

The Excalaber 2 in FF9 can only be obtained by reaching a room part way through the final dungeon in under 12 hours of total playtime.

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 both have ports that work on modern PCs with no emulators (and are available on steam), whereas FF9 does not, and likely never will (because the new ports are just fixed up versions of ports that came out shortly after the originals, which FF9 never got). I think it has a PSN version, though.

I've finished 7 and 8 and stuff keeps taking me away from playing 9. Having that said I've enjoyed 9 so far, but 8 is my favorite of the three by far.

8's storytelling is not for everyone. They employ a LOT of "show, don't tell" and foreshadowing that basically doesn't make sense until you've played it once. It can be really off putting but I love it.