Prototype Roy > Final Roy?

I was always interested in the early build of FE6. There's a lot of neat stuff that got cut/changed. Here's an early trailer from Space World 2001: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEbQT4wgMg0

More Protoype!Roy in the trailer, and Lilina was also introduced in the first chapter. I wonder what was the story behind that (she also shows up alongside Roy when their official artwork pop up).

I prefer Roy's final design since he looks a bit less goofy (Roy's early hair is crazy lol). Though I've came across quite a few Protoype!Roy fanart on pixiv and the like. Here's a clearer pic of his early design:

56wKBDy.jpg

Huh, I wonder if Roy's Smash 4 design took a bit of inspiration from his early appearance (notably the knee guards and shoulder armour). Nah, I must be crazy.

I think the recreation is a bit off, as the blurry screenshot and video makes him seem less...vertical.

Regardless, I think his official artwork from the prototype is much more exciting than his boring final one.

I had speculated about that but I was unsure, and I didn't want to risk making a mistake. Relax man, I can't know everything.

Now I know. And knowing is half the battle!

Relax?

If I sounded that uptight in my comment, then, er, I'm sorry... I didn't mean it to sound like that

I think the recreation is a bit off, as the blurry screenshot and video makes him seem less...vertical.

Regardless, I think his official artwork from the prototype is much more exciting than his boring final one.

Well, for the limited sources on prototype FE6, I think Sphalerite did a good job.

At least someone agrees.

You know, I just noticed that Beta Old!Eliwood looks different too.

Yeah, he kind of looks younger doesn't he?

Relax?

If I sounded that uptight in my comment, then, er, I'm sorry... I didn't mean it to sound like that

Well, sorry on my part too. I didn't want to make you feel like that. I say "relax" quite often IRL so don't take it seriously. :sweatdrop:

Edited by Blue Druid

• 1 month later...

I actually like the prototype more as well, I feel like had they stuck with it there would have been more of a challenge to formulate a non-vanilla character for him. Roy is basically all Eliwood's charisma and goodheartedness with none of the drawbacks such a character implies, which are drawn out in FE7 mostly by Hector and others who note Eliwood's spinelessness and (what could be interpreted as) weakness. There's no where Roy has to compromise in the entire game ...there's nothing like Eliwood's dad's death in FE7 to make you feel like things were really in danger of tanking.

• 1 month later...

I've just came across Roy's prototype mug from FE6, and I somehow feel he would have been a far more interesting character than the final Roy, because Roy was very bland in FE6 and had nothing going for him. At least the prototype Roy (or Protoroy, as I like to call him) has some form of character to him, looking much more energetic and optimistic.

Who else feels the same? Why do you think I.S. changed Roy to his more bland, function-only form in the final FE6?

protoroys.png

(This is a recreation of Roy's mug from prototype FE6 screenshots. I found the mug here. Credit goes to the spriter over at Pixel Joint).

He looks pretty weird.

Looks like Roy went Super Saiyan.

LOL.

He looks like he's 10 in the prototype.

That said yeah, I doubt his personality would be different, and his final design fits him as a character more imo.

He does look a good deal younger. That's what felt so off.

I don't think I could look at Prototype Roy and take him seriously as the leader of a continental army.

I think I would feel the same way.

I was always interested in the early build of FE6. There's a lot of neat stuff that got cut/changed. Here's an early trailer from Space World 2001:

More Protoype!Roy in the trailer, and Lilina was also introduced in the first chapter. I wonder what was the story behind that (she also shows up alongside Roy when their official artwork pop up).

I prefer Roy's final design since he looks a bit less goofy (Roy's early hair is crazy lol). Though I've came across quite a few Protoype!Roy fanart on pixiv and the like. Here's a clearer pic of his early design:

56wKBDy.jpg

Huh, I wonder if Roy's Smash 4 design took a bit of inspiration from his early appearance (notably the knee guards and shoulder armour). Nah, I must be crazy.

Man, he does look really goofy. Especially in that picture you found. He looks like a stereotypical Shounen protagonist.
Edited by Lyon's Dirge

I remember an interview with Sakurai on Melee, he said he designed Roy to be more powerful than Marth because he seemed like he'd be more temperamental and hotheaded, but was surprised when he actually played FE6 and that wasn't the case. That makes a lot more sense now, seeing Roy's prototype, which is what Sakurai saw most likely, especially if his final design was a last-minute change.

• 2 weeks later...