Level Design Idea

Strict_Gryphon90

Hello everyone!

I decided to post this here instead of concepts because this isn't I new game idea. I'm going to propose an idea for a chapter in my Blazing Sword hack and I ask that you guys share your thoughts on whether it's a good or bad idea.

In the chapter before it your party is captured and thrown in prison, with one or two characters being in each cell. Your main lord manages to escape, and your thief picks the lock on their prison door. Prior to the start of gameplay all your other units (only six at the time) get turned into red units with the guard tile AI (this is to hide their location as this will be a fog of war chapter) and standing on the tile in front of their cell door turns them into green units which can be recruited back to blue units. Your goal is to rescue as many of your units as possible and you end the chapter by reaching a certain tile with the main lord and escaping. Any allies you don't rescue are permanently lost. There will be many enemies stationed around the prison with either the guard tile or attack in range AI (no approaching enemies) so you'll have to be careful about how you advance, but nothing cheap like a bolting tome or sleep staff.

Does this sound like fun? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,

Gryphon

I do believe Thracia chapter 4 beat you to this, granted it isn't a Fog of War chapter, but the basic concept is the same. Heck, having the main lord escape first results in you losing everyone else in that game too.

That said, while I didn't enjoy Thracia, I did enjoy that chapter, so go for it.

I do believe Thracia chapter 4 beat you to this, granted it isn't a Fog of War chapter, but the basic concept is the same. Heck, having the main lord escape first results in you losing everyone else in that game too.

That said, while I didn't enjoy Thracia, I did enjoy that chapter, so go for it.

Seriously!? Drat! And here I thought I came up with something original. Maybe I should work for Nintendo. Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know you and possibly others enjoy this type of chapter. If it's in Thracia and people like that game then I feel good about it.

does your level design idea involve making three identical levels in a row?

Nope. Just one chapter like this. If I did three in a row it would become stale and boring quickly. I think one relatively short chapter would be best.

While rescuing units from cells isn't a new idea (see Thracia and Path of Radiance), having your units turn red then having to recruit them back seems interesting, and would add a whole new level of "Orsons".

While rescuing units from cells isn't a new idea (see Thracia and Path of Radiance), having your units turn red then having to recruit them back seems interesting, and would add a whole new level of "Orsons".

I think it can happen to Jill in PoR too, not just Orson.

I think that was referring to you triple-posting this topic.

Ah. I wasn't even aware I triple posted. I tried to post once and my connection timed out, then tried the refresh button and got the same result, then hit the back button and tried again. It must have gone through all three times. Sorry for the triple post.

I only played PoR once, can you tell me what you mean by "Orsons?" Thank you for the feedback.

Orson was a playable unit in a single chapter of Sacred Stones, but became an enemy unit after that chapter and was encountered as a boss late in the game.

Oh. I only played Sacred Stones once as well, and that was quite a few years ago. Interesting concept, except I wouldn't have the player fight their former units if they failed to recruit them back. Thanks for filling me in.