A new FE8 Reverse Recruitment Patch

Katie

EDIT: This topic is outdated. Go here for the current patch: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63349

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vy40wvi0ir67cd1/fe8rr.xdelta?dl=0

I made a new FE8RR patch out of dissatisfaction with the current one. This one is a TRUE reverse recruitment patch, with even the Creature Campaign characters being included. As such, Lyon and Cormag are your new Lords, Fado is the new Jagen, etc. I have some screenies:

Btw, I doubled Lyon's growth rates to make up for the fact that he doesn't promote. I also upped the uses of chest and door keys to 5 to make up for the lack of a thief in chapter 3, and the uses of all promotion items to 3 as a general precaution to make sure there's enough to promote everyone. I also boosted any unit whose growths were higher in the JP version to those growths(characters with growths higher in the US version still have their US growths though).

Here's my analysis of the characters from what I've playtested so far:

Lyon: Lyon is an excellent character. He's especially vital in his niche as your only staff user until either chapter 9 when you get L'Arachel or whenever you promote a magic user, whatever comes first. He won't double anything until he gets a few levels in him, and he levels slowly due to Necromancer counting as a promoted class, but Naglfar is powerful enough to oneshot most enemies anyway.

Fado: I haven't used him much, so I don't have much to say. He probably isn't as good as Seth.

Valter, Glen, and Cormag: These three are all excellent units with good Str, HP, Spd, and Def. Probably all top-tier units.

Hayden: I haven't really used him enough to get a feel for how good he is, but he seems decent enough. I admit I was debating between making him start as a Merc or an Archer, but went with Merc since it's more useful. Now that I think about it, Archer probably makes better thematic sense though. But whatever.

Selena: A real MVP. Has a great base Speed and a decent growth in it, surprisingly good durability for a Mage, and while her base Mag is low the enemies around the time you get her have such low Res that it doesn't matter, and her growth in it is good enough that by the time you face enemies with actual Res she should still one round them.

Ismaire: She does pretty well in the beginning with her excellent avoid and Wind Sword, but has strength and durability issues. I'd probably use her until you get Joshua(if on Cormag's route) or Marisa(if on Lyon's route), then bench her. You should only need like two SMs/Assasins at most, and Josh and Marisa are the best.

Riev: He's got pretty decent stats all around except his base Mag, which is pitiful, so you should probably have him keep on using the Aura he comes with until his Mag is high enough that he can deal decent damage with Lightning. If you're worried about Aura's durability, just know that Lyon comes with a Hammerne and Rapier, Reginlief, Dragonstones, and all S rank weapons now have infinite durability.

Caellach: An excellent soldier killer, and he seems pretty solid all around, though his base speed is rather lacking. He's also your first and only axe user for a while, besides Fado.

Syrene: She's a Peg Knight all right. You can expect her to perform like one. Her HP is kinda low though, so giving her Valter's Fili Shield is a smart idea.

Myrrh: About as broken as you'd expect. I may make her start with a Monster Weapon instead of her Dragonstone and have the Dragonstone come later so that she doesn't completely break the game in a future version.

Knoll: Terrible. Probably even worse than in regular FE8. He's completely outclassed by Lyon and Ewan. I should probably buff him.

Duessel: He's been pretty decent so far. A funny thing is I forgot to change his starting items from Natasha's, but I don't enough to require a new patch, as one should have some spare weapons to give him(I myself had an Iron Sword and a Javelin to spare), and failing that, you can just buy some in the prep menu, plus Lyon can put that Mend staff to good use.

Rennac: Very good unit. Does better than Colm from my experience, and he's easier to recruit than Josh because he's more likely to try to steal from your units than attack them, he won't attack Duessel, Duessel is a cav so 7 move, and Duessel can fight unlike Natasha. I'll admit making his recruitment easier is why I made Duessel a Cav instead of a Knight.

Ewan: Excellent unit, especially since he has a 55% Mag growth now, like he did in the JP version. He puts the Energy Ring and Dragonshield he comes with to good use, and is way better than Knoll(except at being a summoner, but you have Lyon for that and Ewan should be going Druid anyway).

Saleh: Also an excellent unit, with his base Mag, Skl, and Spd in particular being great. Even better than Selena.

Orson(5x): Pretty much the same as in the regular version. Don't use him too much and give his stuff away before finishing the chapter, 'nuff said.

post-12231-0-69941200-1446362615_thumb.png

post-12231-0-59640100-1446362616_thumb.png

post-12231-0-20125000-1446362617_thumb.png

post-12231-0-71036100-1446362617_thumb.png

post-12231-0-22296200-1446362618_thumb.png

post-12231-0-68936900-1446362618_thumb.png

post-12231-0-20452500-1446362619_thumb.png

post-12231-0-71043600-1446362619_thumb.png

post-12231-0-21938600-1446362620_thumb.png

post-12231-0-71622300-1446362620_thumb.png

Edited by Matthewtheman

YOOOOOOOO I NEEDED THIS THANKS

You're welcome. Have fun.

Btw, here's a spreadsheet. Note that some characters' in-game bases are higher than on here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m2fj_tF9YE-WERBbEo_x4nYVxURQHjqQHIjktSo8qF4/edit?usp=sharing

You'll notice that Orson replaces himself. That's because there's two playable versions of Orson: The Creature Campaign one and the Chapter 5x one.

Oh, and here, have some more screenshots:

Another thing to note is that I changed the Assassin animation to the custom female assassin animation found in the battle animations thread, so if you promote Rennac to Assassin he'll look female.

post-12231-0-42878800-1446381680_thumb.png

post-12231-0-21601500-1446381700_thumb.png

post-12231-0-21383200-1446381701_thumb.png

post-12231-0-42356800-1446381702_thumb.png

post-12231-0-63839300-1446381703_thumb.png

post-12231-0-09038700-1446381704_thumb.png

post-12231-0-57969700-1446381704_thumb.png

post-12231-0-50977500-1446381705_thumb.png

post-12231-0-56363500-1446405255_thumb.png

Edited by Matthewtheman

Aghh...I'm having trouble patching. Can you help? I have the xdelta file and a clean FE8 rom, but it's not working. Whenever I try to patch it, I get this screen

post-16256-0-50153700-1447283207_thumb.png

Edited by BlueTetri619

i took a peak at the pt. there is no balance in this hack, the only thing changed are the character units

op if you want to make this serious, you cant give units amazing weapons in the beginning because not only does that trivialize the game, it destroys the desire to actually get them

Well, Reverse Recruitment hacks aren't exactly supposed to be balanced. That said, I agree Lyon trivializes the earlygame too much, so I think I'll replace Naglfar with a Flux tome and have Naglfar be obtained much later, and replace Myrrh's Dragonstone with Fiery Fang and give you the Dragonstone in Chapter 16.

Okay, so, other changes being made in the next patch are going to be the buffing of Knoll(I could use some input on how much to buff him, but he definitely needs buffing), and changing all the bosses who become CC characters into the characters that replace them, i.e. replacing boss Lyon with Eirika, replacing boss Selena with Moulder, etc. I changed the portraits, stats, classes, items, and growths of these bosses, and for the most part said bosses should be harder, Dropped items are the same, except for Chapter 17 Eirika, who drops a Rune Sword instead of Nosferatu(they share a similar function anyway), and a Rapier if she ever ends up equipping the Rune Sword, so it gives one incentive to try and kill her in one turn, so that you'll get a weapon you can actually use. The next patch will come out after I finish the LP, and may include more changes than what's planned so far.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

So I know this is a little late, but I recently started playing through this and I found it is impossible to recruit Cormag in Eirika's Route Chapter 13. Cormag is Replaced by Ephraim, and Ephraim is not a flying unit, because of this he cannot move from the space he comes in, which is a mountain. I even tried cheating and making Lyon(Eirika Replacement) into a Wyvern Knight so he could talk to Ephraim, but for whatever reason, the talk button did not appear. Any on run into this issue, any tips?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

ummm guys is has anyone else had any trouble with chapter 13 eirika (lyon) route, when cormag is supposed to spawn on turn 5 in the mounts (I don't know whose supposed to be taking his place in this patch) the game just dosent load the units and freezes, I have tried resetting and resuming and restarting but to no avail, help please?? I really want to carry on with this patch I'm loving it!

• 5 months later...