Make a Fun Chapter 3: It's over!

ghast

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for an Update:

- I'm mostly working on AI's to prevent such fantastic players such as yourselves from despawning shit. Thanks to FEuniverse, I may be able to prevent such a tragedy.

- I made flyers able to fly over walls and so far, it has been showing it was a great idea for this type of map. Tons of utility and urgency to keep them alive while killing the enemies fliers as fast as possible.

- Gave magic units 2 starting weapons as opposed to one.

- Added some siege weapons outside the castle. This was more for the enemy having a way to still kill whoever it is you made to block the choke-point. This way, if you choose to try to block everything to despawn enemies, it will come back to bite you in the ass savagely by spawning enemies your units are just not ready for because you didn't kill anything.

- Also moved back a player's spawn point for their units. Near dragon range but easier to defend if pushed back like I expect you to be.

that's it for now.

Edited by MrNight48

Can I double post, I feel like I heard that's okay, I am saying something that's not really directly related to my previous post.

I've had one playtester go through my chapter once, and I really learned a lot. They'll probably go through it one or two more times, but I was also interested in having someone else who hasn't seen it try so I can see what their approach is.

Preferably someone who's able to screenshare via Skype or a private stream or something (maybe this coming late-Friday/Saturday?(EDIT: wait are we closing the year on saturday maybe sunday idk)), but my current playtester just sends me screenshots and text updates and that's cool too. Do note that my chapter is on FEXNA, so you'll need a more powerful machine than you might for a ROMhack, but it's nothing crazy. My laptop has a dual-core ~2GHz CPU and rather mediocre graphics card and after you get it used to the program it runs a fairly stable 60fps.

Edited by 47948201

I pity those that must play this Frankenstein of a hack, for I grew to hate this creation but continue to make it in rage. Now it roars at me as I watch my units die due to negligence and am burning in unyielding flames.

what have I done? *sobs*

hey, if we get to watch Ghast suffer that's all well and good.

I think this counts as fun XD

I pity those that must play this Frankenstein of a hack, for I grew to hate this creation but continue to make it in rage. Now it roars at me as I watch my units die due to negligence and am burning in unyielding flames.

what have I done? *sobs*

Speaking of this hack, when do you think it will be ready for me to playtest?

Edited by Clarinets

The first 25 turns of gameplay is ready more or less, if you want to test it now let me know other wise I won't have an official demo ready until I put in waves for turns 25-50 in. Trying to ultimately figure out if it's better to let the player level up their units or give them controlled bases cause the gameplay feels a little bit slow during engagements.

I thought this was supposed to be "Make a fun chapter", not "Make a Ragefest chapter".

Planning out to the 50 turn mark is rather concerning, plus the fact that you yourself are raging at your creation for (what seems to be) reasons other than fatigue/burnout.

It's not a ragefest chapter per se, I just like challenging hacks. The problem is not so much as the difficulty, its me having to customize every single enemy spawn to make sure they are not too boring to deal with or too cheap. My main goal with this hack is to give the let's players plenty of material to flim with while at the same time, have the gameplay be a bit different from everybody so no one play through is the same more or less. I hate it because it keeps taking longer than expected to fine tune the gameplay, plus this hack was my first one I created re-done and a lot of decisions I made back then are pissing me off now cause it takes more work than I originally thought. I made it to prove that big maps can work back then but now that I am more experienced, I realized they are just less fun due to taking more time to fill up the space design wise.

That being said, I keep working on it because when I play it, I am overall happy with the gameplay because it shows some ideas I have to enhance fire emblem defense missions.

Also that earlier post was just me taking about one test play though I had where I made too many dumb mistakes that led to the dragon being freed >_>

Can I submit my 1-chapter game made with SRPG Studio? It's been made about a year ago and I had lost everything about it: The download link had timed out for some reasons and I had an hard drive failure. I very recently got a copy of my development files back (Thanks Klokinator!), and I'm thinking of turning this project into a 5 chapters or so game instead eventually.

But as it stands right now it's a stand-alone chapter, is pretty short, is (probably) not rage inducing and most of the community likely didn't see it yet so I think it could fit this contest well. I'm not actually expecting to win anything and there's no ways I could build something else in less than 4 days, but... I think it'd be an ok entry!

SRPG Studio is purpose-built to make Fire Emblem-like games, and the game is standalone so you don't need to download anything but the game folder by itself so it shouldn't cause you problems. If you accept my submission, do I post the download link here or send it to you via PM?

Thanks!

Edited by Ayra

One last bug-sweep, and though I wouldn't be surprised if I missed some, it seems things are in generally working order. I guess I'll just PM this to Ghast?

EDIT: But first, does anybody have recommendations for file uploading sites? I've tried a number, but lately I haven't seen any good ones. I usually use Dropbox, but I can't guarantee that files will stay there because I reorganize a lot.

Edited by 47948201

yeah, probably at least 4-5

Edit: Forgot to say this, if my submission is shit, let me know and don't be afraid to say so and why. I know the lack of story and art will be a problem but the gameplay has some new elements I would love to get more feedback on.

Edited by MrNight48