Make a Fun Chapter 3: It's over!

ghast

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ayra's SRPG maker submission!

This makes a good prologue chapter. Good job. Will give more details when I return from class

Holy eff! What happened to the font??? Even when running the compiled executable, it looks just fine on my computer. It's not the nearly unreadable mess that you have on your side. That's a pretty major issue and I have no ideas what that is... Maybe because I have the Japanese fonts and keyboard setup on my computer..? Anyhow, very sorry about that. If anyone else does play my submission, please tell me if you have the same problem as ghast did.

All the sprites, animations and music are stock from the game engine. I wish I could claim god-hood sprites, but alas that's not to be. I figured it was not a major issue since basically no one is actually making games with SRPG Studio anyhow beside Kaga's upcoming Vestaria's Saga. There's actually a pretty good selection of very catchy music; it's actually the strongest point of the default assets in my opinion. The one change I did for the animation was to change the travel path of the arrows for the male archer (Kriel in my game), since by default it appeared like 2 foot over the bow itself and simply went over the enemy's head. The moving animations are DRASTICALLY better than they used to be when the engine released. Units kept phasing in and out of reality and it was very jarring; it's not perfect now but it's so much better. The actual attack animations could use some work still though... It'd be pretty easy to make the attacking unit move a bit further before attacking though so that'd at least reduce the "swing at air and deal damage" thing.

Unfortunately, there's no English version of SRPG Studio. I've translated every single thing in the dictionary, and the result was what you have seen. There's still some Japanese text left (like Buy/Sell), but I found out later that there's also an xml terms file that I could edit out of the engine, which at first glance should cover everything else except the option menu. Of course, the entire engine is in Japanese and my Japanese is not great to say the least, so figuring which option does what or how to use them is pretty dang hard. I feel that the engine is very convenient and extremely flexible, it's just that it's not in English. :(

Regarding the game itself, there were three mini boss: Each of them had a different sprite than the other regular units and a "Sub Boss" description in their stat screen to encourage players to check their items. Basically, Zywack is generally fine until the thief mini boss is there: she'll shred him nearly instantly. The mage boss will beat Brienne, but Yudistra with her +resist sword can slaughter her. And finally, the hawk boss has a guard breaker (hammer basically) and is set to be able to double Fenril (and no one else) in order to prevent Fenril just tanking everything on the west side, and she's actually setup to favor Fenril as target. That didn't pan out in practice since Fenril simply killed her with a crit on counter-attack in your playthrough, but ah well. Live and learn!

At one point you wondered if the enemy AI was broken when the three small Hawks attacked you before the boss gave the charge order. It's intentional: the three hawks (but not the hawk boss) can be pulled if you go into their attack range, it's actually probably the best strategy to beat the chapter. The house on the west path refers to that actually. The buyable brave sword and fortify staff is really a "hey, look, a shop that actually works" and by the time you can shop you are near the chapter's end, so I figured why not. If I do go ahead and make a 5 chapter game out of this, there won't be any brave sword available for 300. There's also a brave sword that can be found by visiting the enclosed lake in the North-East, but there's really no point to get it and no indication that anything is there: it really was just to make sure I could successfully make a working event of the kind :)

Thank you very much for the playthrough and the commentary: every comment both positive and negative is very appreciated!

Edited by Ayra

hell week ended.

Now I have time to have fun again! I finished Mr.night's submission, now I just gotta edit it and stuff.

hopefully its up by tonight unless some random school stuff comes up!

Mr. Night's submission. This is part 1 of 2

I don't know what happened to the video quality. My software has been acting really finnicky and stubborn lately :I

I like the concept of generic weapons being dropped while you can buy high level weapons from shops, but a lot of the weapons I found so far just weren't necessary or even usable because of dat weapon rank.

I know this is a demo for a chapter that's like 50 turns long, but still!

This submission looked pretty rushed and I know that Mr. night seemed to be having trouble finding time to work on the chapter. A lot of stuff is pretty unexplained and I don't really like the idea of being thrown into a map without context or in-game instruction :(

Part 2 will have more detailed thoughts on it~

Edited by ghast

yeah sorry, tried to explain in the readme but it was definitely rushed. More things happened in January that sucked much of my free time than expected and I greatly underestimated what goes into a big map to make it good.

In any case, you could probably fumble your way to victory anyway in the state my hack is in.

edit: probably forgot to put this in the readme, The lower the weapon rank of generic weapons, the more weapon experience it gives. Slim weapons can get you to C rank before they break while iron can get you up to C or B rank before they break.

Edited by MrNight48

Okay so uh I know only the first part of this submission is uploaded, but I think unless something happens in part 2 that changes my mind, I can give my opinions of all the chapters now because I should be doing homework today and I feel like procrastinating sooo~

Ciraxis' was obviously pretty targeted, so a lot of the dialogue didn't resonate with me personally, but it had its story-ish moments that I think were the best of the contest's. The way it ramped towards bosses was good structuring, but the incentive to keep moving was a little lacking, considering the difficulty. It had some really creative ideas, but I just wish they were more of a focus.

Ayra's was less ambitious, more standard, but looking at it as a normal chapter, I honestly thought it looked the most "fun". There's always stuff happening to lead you along the chapter, but you have two paths and just enough units to cover them if you're clever. I really felt the SRPGS limitations, but I think the design is promising.

MrNight's was about exactly what I expected--it has lots of ideas, creative ideas, that the chapter is structured around. But the structure is a bit shaky? Some things happened that I found pretty funny, but I wonder if they were all intentional. I wouldn't wonder if the chapter were more cleanly put together--as a demo, it definitely piques interest, but I don't know if I'd find myself playing it.

Just tossing this out there--I brought it up in the official FEXNA Beta chat, and according to literally just Klok and nobody else, the engine is pronounced
[10:32:34 午後] Klokinator: FECK-SNUH
[10:32:45 午後] Klokinator: or FEX-NUH

so kirby's submission up to the thief wave took 3 hours lol.

I don't think I can handle 3 more hours of this ahhaha you don't expect me to complete this do you?

Just tossing this out there--I brought it up in the official FEXNA Beta chat, and according to literally just Klok and nobody else, the engine is pronounced

[10:32:34 午後] Klokinator: FECK-SNUH

[10:32:45 午後] Klokinator: or FEX-NUH

Seeing as the XNA framework is pronounced as X-N-A, there's no way I could pronounce it as anything other than just saying the letters F-E-X-N-A

I don't think I can handle 3 more hours of this ahhaha you don't expect me to complete this do you?

Readme says I actually don't '3'

(wow 3 hours were you micromanaging everything lol, though if you somehow got to thieves on your first run then geez congrats)

kirby's tower defense mission, part 1!

now THIS is something I've never seen before... this episode is mostly just adjusting to the new playstyle. Part 2 should be juicy though

Edited by ghast

lol that Mage at the end of the video with Meteor equipped, the anticipation to see if you left him so he'd auto-attack a cleric and show that you don't have to make everyone attack manually, because if you did that for 3 hours then wow i am sorry

In later parts we actually get kind of frustrated with the auto-attacking. The units with siege would keep using them even when we didn't want them to. Manually attacking ended up being better off because:

a) Units wouldn't use weapons that are better off conserved

b) We could focus down more troublesome mooks

It's a shame I can't hear the music when I record with Ghast. That Starcraft map theme is pretty dope.

Yeah the auto-attack will generally prefer to not attack bosses (because they're stronger), which would've been harder to fix than I could at the time, but as for using limited-use weapons, if you just equip a different weapon, Defenders won't change what they have equipped. If an archer has a Ballista, but their first slot is an Iron Bow, they'll attack at 2 range or not at all '3'

(And yeah Blizzard does lots of cool songs actually, I think)

Edited by 47948201