Make a Fun Chapter 3: It's over!

ghast

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy shit this is cool as fuck. I feel terrible submitting my crap now.

As a tower defense nut, I would tweak that strat of funneling by making mazes while sending them into pillars to even further slow down the units movement.

Have healers at the spawn spot to use slow on the real threats while the rest get lost in the maze of death forever.

seriously wow.

holy shit this is cool as fuck. I feel terrible submitting my crap now.

Aw lol well hey I'm sure if you had an engine as tweakable as this and more time to work, you could do some pretty cool stuff~

(yeah both this and my Ragefest game are kinda FEXNA advertisements so what)

So for next MAFC I think I may limit engines to just the publically available ones. FEXNA is OP compared to rom hacking lol. as demonstrated here.

thoughts?

maybe by then fexna will be public '3'

I mean, the reality is, everything I did could be done in FEXP--and while it wouldn't be as smooth, most of it could be done as a ROMhack (if the AI works like I think it does) FEXNA just makes everything a lot easier to manage.

naw I think we just need to git gud.

In all seriousness, as op as FEXNA is, I think it's fair game (although it does cause one to burn with envy that they can't play FEXNA based submissions)

and inspires creators working with other engines to push the limits.

then again I may be one of the few who believes we are just now starting to seriously tap into what the fe7/fe8 engines are capable of and shouldn't give up on them.

Yay internet dying while I'm posting

Yeah Klok also pointed out how just as Yeti was starting to do cool FEXNA stuff, some ASM hackers show up with their own progress. Still, the file organization and accessibility (and stability) of code in FEXNA make it hard to go back to #hacking, for me at least.

If I can interject anecdotes..

Sometimes the best projects are actually the ones that are hack-jobbed together. When everything is really cleanly put together, you kind of know what to expect.

But when something has a poor foundation, you just don't know what is coming.

I remember an rpg maker game in particular..

My friend had an amazing idea. So naturally we both headed off separate ways to try and implement it.

I wasted a ton of time trying to write a script that would accomplish it, but ended up with nothing but errors and issues; while he had made it with fifty events instead; pulling them together in an odd "if then" chain-- and it worked, though it was jittery.

My brother took to designing a map and abuse of game glitches for his things; which worked only if you knew what to do.

Frequently he rammed into "if I could just X" problems; but instead of cutting it out he would dabble around to find if he could create a simulcra of it with the tools he did have.

Ingenuity and fidgeting with the tools you do have is, in my opinion, more likely to create a fun experience than implementing new tools-- you may add a tool you don't really need and thus feels superfluous.

Well, that aside, I'm kicking myself for not recognizing that as Starcraft music (Three weeks ago I actually made significant headway into SC1's campaign). Really suits the mood of strategy.

so kirby, even though the our raw footage could realistically be 3-4 parts long, i decided to end it towards the end of the peg knight wave.

i gave my thoughts at the end like usual and stuff. It should be later today. and then voting comes up after that.

so for categories I just have the one.

"which chapter was the funnest?"

I guess? what categories should be included if any others?

Tada! This one is longer than usual. But as usual i left my thoughts at the end. Pardon the "umms" and "uuhs" i didn't realize there was so many :P

I'm not familiar with Tower Defense games at all but I think TD fans will love this.

I'll be making a quick "how to" voting vid. Its mostly just to advertise SF and coming to this thread to vote which requires an SF account.

Edited by ghast

Yeah actually I think splitting up the tutorial would be a really good idea--it was pretty dense as-was, and obviously nothing about items was explained, but I could make a separate tutorial specifically for that.

...Well, I could've, if my laptop hard drive didn't die. I probably won't bother adding more to the game unless there's really a lot of interest, but if Yeti's okay with it, I can see about making a thread to release what currently exists.

alrighty, so I'm going to open up the voting now. and Its going to be up for a few days! So far the only category I'm going to use is

"Which submission was the funnest?"

"Which submission had the coolest ideas?"

if you think that can be worded better let me know

I really enjoyed getting to be a part of a few of these submissions. Looking forward to seeing this contest grow. Maybe i'll even manage to submit something at some point. Ooooh~

(Assuming I ever stop being a lazy fuckwit and actually learn things.)

A small question for Mr. Night, as I think I saw the pattern in the video and I'm curious if that's how it is or not:

Does Ostia become an enemy as long as he has any enemy unit 2 spaces away from him, as if he were a spot to be "captured"? And if so, does the dragon switch allegiances just as Ostia does, as if the two were mutual nemesis?

The Ostia guy was suppose to be the sorrowful golem who is the eternal guardian of the castle. In times of great death, he will try to heal those in pain the most because the castle has seen many battles.

So while the dragon rages, the golem tries to soothe those who are about to die while ultimately knowing that it is a pointless act. So yeah you could say they are nemesis. Also I gave ostia a powerful 1 range tome so people couldn't kill him off with the luna siege weapons.

Mechanically it's to make sure when the enemy side reaches 50, there is a place holder for the dragon so he doesn't glitch out when he switched back.

Honestly its a dumb mechanic but its my very first one I made, so it's hard for me to realize it either needs to be tweaked or stop trying to make it a thing because that damn dragon has always glitched out whenever someone plays it after the official release.

Edited by MrNight48

So voting has ended!

And Kirby has won in both categories preeetty significantly!

Congrats to you, you win bragging rights!

And thanks to Ciraxis, Mr.night and Ayra for entering as well. 4 submissions is a pretty good number for a first time run in the contest. I had an awesome time playing through them all! Thanks for helping me see this contest actually go through and ending successfully :)

I'll post again with some details about MAFC 2!

Edited by ghast