[FE7] Fire Emblem Book of Eden v1.25 *New Update*

Rickochet

I haven't played Fates. I have played 6 through 10, as well as awakening, and in all of those games, archers were very weak units. Neimi from FE8 was ok, but almost every other unpromoted archer was terrible. In all 3 GBA games, the snipers were good - or at least viable - because their base stats and weapon selection gave them great player-phase offense. FE6 in particular made certain nomads and snipers pretty handy. The range of bows isn't special if javelins, hand axes, and magic all exist.

Fiona has a decent weapon selection; that early longbow makes her much more flexible, but even when she starts doubling her damage isn't that great.

Archers being unable to retaliate on enemy-phase is a huge liability. That's why numerous hacks have given short bows 1~2 range. I think that's a boring way to improve the weapon type, however. Giving Fiona a killer bow instead of a second iron bow might be helpful as well.

I don't remember off-hand how much of a level lead is needed before a unit's experience gain drops heavily. It needs to be immediately obvious to the player that Fiona is gaining way less experience than the others. Half as much as Richard should be good. Level 8 is my best guess. 10 is probably too high.

Since most of the people that view this thread won't see anything past chapter 8, I'll send you my opinions of part 2 through personal message or chat.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only just got to chapter two, but as far as I can tell it's pretty good. I have noticed a few typos and glitches, but I will address those, as well as some observations I have made once I get further along the story

These are handful of things I've noticed. But before I get to explaining the problems, let's talk about the good thing I've noticed. First I have to applaud you for you unique choices for certain characters, like Kraig. Although he is the son of a King (albeit adopted...and found inthe mountains...), he is more akin to that of a bandit, which is interesting, and not something I expected. Next is the inclusion of playable soldier units. That is something that was never available in the actual games (I don't think so at least), so it was a bit unique (don't in how many hack may or may not have this feature). And the humorous introduction of my main character made me laugh. It was unexpected and I could relate, I feel the same way he does about those devil spawns. Also, the bosses move? This makes them feel more human, and adds to the challenge of fighting them. Whether it's actually a glitch or intentional, I would keep it. It's unique.

Now, the first image show a glitch where it showed dialouge we saw earlier, instead of what should have been there. The next few are grammatical errors. The lines SHOULD be (in order):

-"I think that's the third time I've seen that tree..."

-"You should have practiced more..."

-"I should have trained Kraig better when he was younger" (restructured for a more natural sounding sentence, as it looked and sounds very unnatural)

-"It is I who should be apologizing. When Susanne and I couldn't have kids" (Me and Susanne is grammatically incorrect)

- There is a slight problem with this next line, I cant offer any replacement yet, but a King, especially given the setting of the game, wouldn't say 'guys'. I would understand if a bandit or Richard, Fiona, or Lee said it, given where they come from. But not from a King. It just stood out.

-"I would have relinquished..."

Now, when Fiona leveled up, I noticed this. Instead of her name it says her class. I am not sure if that is intentional or not, but I brought it just in case.

Now, I forgot to heal Kormac, and I tried to throw a Javelin at the bis of the map. Stupid idea, as he was my last character that could move. So he died, and then suddenly...Ike! I am not sure if it is just a placeholder, or you didn't expect anyone to actually die...or both...but it is the biggest thing I noticed.

But that aside, I am really enjoying the game so far!

post-25281-0-11464900-1467156957_thumb.png

post-25281-0-14098100-1467156973_thumb.png

post-25281-0-28028600-1467156998_thumb.png

post-25281-0-21500700-1467157019_thumb.png

post-25281-0-66675500-1467157033_thumb.png

post-25281-0-10574300-1467157054_thumb.png

post-25281-0-59000600-1467157072_thumb.png

post-25281-0-53148500-1467157092_thumb.png

post-25281-0-14130100-1467157104_thumb.png

Edited by RoyStorm

Thanks for the in-depth review!

I have to say though, that most if not all the grammar errors should be fixed but I will go back and see if they are, thanks for that.

When a unit levels up, it usually says their class in the level up screen in the GBA games, unless you meant her name and not her class appears?

And death quotes...good old death quotes....when I recently moved the ROM from lyn mode to eliwood mode, it...kind of broke some of the death quotes, which is what I'm currently fixing, just fyi for everyone out there.

And yes there will be support conversations, its something I'm actually looking foward to working on but they will be the second to last if not very last thing I get to in the process of ROM hacking. It makes more sense to have all the characters planned out and made first before I get to their personalities in the support convos. So rest assured, if the game seems hard now, I'm sure the support bonuses will make it much easier in the future.

So rest assured, if the game seems hard now, I'm sure the support bonuses will make it much easier in the future.

It's not very important now that there are less than half the planned chapters, but can't you just add hollow supports just for balancing purposes? I'm sure that changing some supports later on when you work on the actual conversations will have a lesser impact than adding them completely out of the blue.

Going to Let's Play this on my channel. Starting Tuesday, I'll post it every weekday until I finish Patch 1.2

Note that at the end of Every chapter I'll be giving you constructive criticism on every aspect I dislike about the hack, and you don't specifically have to change it.

I'll keep bugs in, but try to keep anything irrelevant to actual gameplay out of the series.

Thanks for deciding to LP my hack! I hope you enjoy playing as much as I did making it.

I'll keep an eye for your series!

There was also a recent patch that was released yesterday night that fixed up some bugs and inconsistencies so feel free to update!

Edited by Rickochet

• 3 weeks later...

So it was suggested to me that I should post updates in regards to my progress every now and then, seeing as I rarely if ever post updates besides when the actual updates themselves are ready to be released.

I'm currently ironing out some kinks in some of my class animations and spell animations, so they will be ready when I release "part 2" of my hack or book 2 or however you want to see them as. I like to call them books as the story is based on a book I've been writing that I transferred to this ROM hack.

Here are some of the things you can look forward to:

-Complete and proper weapon icons for all the current weapons in the game

-Complete set of affinity icons (more like just me changing the affinities to match my universe lol)

-Revamped affinity bonuses according to what I think they should give

-First half of the support system will be in place, meaning all the currently available and will be avaliable characters will have their supports in place, minus their actual conversation. I will do the writing for those later as I'm still developing some of their backstories.

-You'll see more custom weapons in this part 2 of the hack

Here's are a few screenshot of several maps in the next patch.

54868307e0372f91430a28249186102b.png

c3b0ab9d2a0fcd7427b7ed9315ed9b6a.png

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if that has happen to you guys, but when I got to the boss in chapter 6, he spawned a bunch of units and then I got an immediate game over even though I still had time left. The game kinda fixes itself I guess when you go back to the main screen and resume the chapter but I missed out on a bunch of experience because of this since the spawned units dissappeared.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the feedback guys!

If you could give a visual indication of where the tiles don't match up, that would be great. I'm not the greatest map maker and am still trying to improve.

We've been aware of some of the bugs and are working on them. Keep an eye out for the next patch which should be out within the next couple weeks.

Edited by Rickochet

Quick questions:

1) How many chapters are there currently and how many will be in the game upon completion

Total planned chapters: 32

Number of chapters done and released: 8 (First Patch/Book)

The next major patch will contain a whopping 14 chapters. I think that's one of the reasons why it's taking so long, I want to iron out as many of the bugs as I can before I release it. A long and tedious process for a team consisting of mostly one, but I'm almost there! It goes from chapters 9 - 20, which includes 2 gaiden chapters thus far.

Edited by Rickochet

Alright, I released a patch that addresses some of the aforementioned bugs and glitches and as well as a few that were pointed out by my testers.

Let me know if something doesn't work!

There are also some minor features added into the patch in preparation for the next major patch. So as an fyi, the support system got an update but is not fully fleshed out so be aware of that.