FEXP: The Bard and the Shepherd (working title)

Shaman

Wow I just found this and it sounds very interesting, just try not to get law suited if you do a kickstarter, I would like to hear more of your idea if you want to make something that is indeed different than fire emblem, maybe modify the turn system with initiative. I am just saying something random since you did say you might want to make this it's own thing

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to hear more of your idea if you want to make something that is indeed different than fire emblem, maybe modify the turn system with initiative.

I wanted to make a playable demo with FEXP. This demo would be used to make a video for the kickstarter. The game I want to make has a custom class system, a different grid and new skills.

What kind of experience do you have with game-making?

Edited by Shaman

HkfxZ8Z.gif

I am having trouble trying to figure out how to insert it into FEXP. Can anyone help me with this, or does anyone know someone who can?

Look at the formatting for the characters in FEXP-- like, the myrmidon or something

Then just paste over it in the right places.

Not sure if FEXP demands indexed images for recoloring, though.. I've not worked with it in too long.

@Eliwan : I renamed the file and gave it the same name as the male cleric map sprite. It worked! Theonly issue is that it does not turn gray after I move it. I may have to work with the code a bit... Thank you for your help though! Edited by Shaman

I wanted to make a playable demo with FEXP. This demo would be used to make a video for the kickstarter. The game I want to make has a custom class system, a different grid and new skills.

What kind of experience do you have with game-making?

Well...none, but I do like coming up with game ideas

@Eliwan : I renamed the file and gave it the same name as the male cleric map sprite. It worked! Theonly issue is that it does not turn gray after I move it. I may have to work with the code a bit... Thank you for your help though!

Second row of FEXP sprites is unused, instead of it, the engine recolors your unit's default used palette's colors to zero palette

Second row of FEXP sprites is unused, instead of it, the engine recolors your unit's default used palette's colors to zero palette

I tried uploading a spritesheet with no gray units in the middle row, but it still does not work.

I have been working on some portraits for my game lately.

1STp7CO.gif

VKvKGAT.gif

Can someone please help me with the coding of FEXP? I am trying to get NPC AI to simply move away from the enemy unit, but it is not working. I need this to work for the very first chapter of the game...

• 2 weeks later...

This is fantastic. You have talent, that's Fire Emblem Style without being really FE. Your topic is going to be on my favorite haha, that's just so amazing, i look forward to your project!

But really, I recommend you to wait for FEXNA. That's great to do a bit with FEXP but it's finally useless because of obvious reason ^^

Edited by Metakirby

This looks quite impressive what with all the custom graphics and all; I wish I could lend a hand with the gray issue, but I've had the same problem with my own projects when inserting custom sprites and can't quite figure out what's going wrong . . . If I could just figure out where it is in the code . . .

EDIT: I think I found something promising; gonna tinker and see if I can get it to work. Might take a bit for me to find a solution, though; I'm no coding genius by any means, but maybe I can get it to use the second row . . .

Edited by Rethel34

@Masterplan201: Thank you very much for the thoughtful compliment.
@Metakirby: Thank you. Yes, I am using many more colors than just 16 per mug and making them slightly larger than standard FE mugs. Ever since I finished Ernest, I have been looking at ways to shade the portraits and give them more detail. I will likely be using many different colors in each portrait, so that they look richer. If I get around to making some playable chapters, I will release it here ASAP. I am still waiting on FEXNA though.
@Rethel34: Thank you, I will be producing more of these resources in the days and weeks to come. If you figure out the code, let me know.
@ghast: Thank you. I am glad that you came back to reply.

It encourages me to see all of these comments. I have two things to share with you:

BWtFGUL.gif

This is Belenos. He is the first cavalier that you get in the game. I wanted to show you my process and how I am using old FE mugs that I made and re-purposing them. I still dislike his design very much, so I will be scrapping it. I think I would rather he have a warmer color scheme, so I will be trying to use oranges and maybe purples too. Suggestions anyone?

ExgnuIV.gif ERBVJyY.gif

I re-did Rindill. My mother told me that his hair looked like snakes and was not wispy enough, so I spent some time fixing his fro. I am pleased with the results.

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I need the encouragement.

Edited by Shaman

Ah that's why! Oh now that you said the hair from Old Rindill looked like snakes, I see it too. It could make a "doppelganger" boss haha!

Really I don't understand how everyone do that so respect for all this work!

I wouldn't say scrap Belenos. Perhaps recolor. But in the end it's your choice.

Also, Rendill's redesign is looking much better. Wow.

On a different (more sour) note, everything I've tried in my tinkering so far has failed :'( but I haven't entirely run out of ideas yet. I'm going to have to get ready to head off to church for the night before long, but I'll give it another attempt before I leave. If I had a way to search these scripts for certain key terms, it might be easier, but alas, I am without, and thus must dig the hard way.

EDIT: This is probably about to be the news you didn't want to hear. You may just have to go into the script "Recolor List EX", plug in the values under "# Allies" that your sprite(s) use, and put the corresponding gray colors under "# Wait" as I can't seem to find a way to make the game use the second row. However, I've not tested this yet; it's just a theory. I'll have to go for church momentarily, but I'll guinea pig it tomorrow (or maybe tonight if I have time when I get home) on a copy of my game. Don't take chances with breaking your game until I've tested it (or unless someone comes by and confirms my theory is correct). Either way, you should hopefully have an answer/fix come morning.

EDIT2: That didn't work either. There's something here I'm missing that's keeping the map sprites limited to 15 colors per alliance, and I'm not even sure changing those will help anything. Heck, even editing the default (which is labeled "DO NOT TOUCH", but I touched anyway) did nothing to the sprites in mine.

EDIT3: Missed earlier that you also needed to know how to make NPCs run from enemies. Have you tried setting AI mission to 27? This particular mission is titled "Retreat".

Edited by Rethel34

@Metakirby: Actually, Rindill will have a doppelganger in the game.

@Rethel34: I decided to re-design Belenos entirely, he was more of a red cavalier than a blue one anyway. I am definitely exceeding 15 colors for my mugs and have yet to find out how it might affect the engine. Though, I'm sure it will be okay. I switched their AI mission to 27 and they are indeed scattering across the map. This will have to do for now. It is a relatively simple map anyway (the first level.). I appreciate the time you are taking to tinker with FEXP. I know I will be tinkering it too, once I have done a fair amount of the assets and they are ready to insert.

hcDOimr.gif

Here is the new draft for Belenos. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Mauthe Doog from FE8 used as a base? Looks nice so far, regardless. You seem to be making such steady progress. Much better than many fangames I've seen in the past.

EDIT: Got a start on the custom OST for this project. Track DL

Edited by Rethel34

@Rethel34: I did not use the doog as a base. I drew all of the shapes by hand (full custom). I used 3 different wolf sprite sheets and a picture of a coyote as references. I cannot imagine more than one way that a wild dog would attack someone, hence the familiar animation. I could have also made him aim for the ankles instead of the neck I suppose...

Edited by Shaman

I'm definitely jealous of your work hahaha! I can't say anything because all of your works seems perfect to me! But I really wonder what are you going to add as battle animation in your game, curiosity eh!