Possible Radiant Historia sequel?

Lord Raven

Aimless speculation time!

Radiant Historia celebrated its fifth anniversary in Japan a few days ago. Atlus published the game on November 3, 2010.

Mitsuru Hirata, Radiant Historias director, took to Twitter on Tuesday and shared just a few words about the RPG in celebration of the milestone. Heres what he shared:

Oh, is it already 5 years! Although it is hard to admit that it was never a hit, Im really grateful to see that many people still love it. Personally I also have a strong emotional attachment with this title. Ill always hold onto an attitude someday a new Radiant Historia! lol #rh_atlus

I have to say, Id be totally up for a Radiant Historia sequel! If I really think about it, it might actually be one of my favorite DS games.

Please follow up on this! My manz needs to make another game...

Edited by Lord Raven

I'd buy it. The only thing I really want improved from Radiant Historia is better sprites and less reuse of areas, everything else I'm pretty cool with whatever the developers decide to do (if they decide to do it in the first place, but here's hoping!).

I would very much love a Radiant Historia sequel. I got it for Christmas last year and it quickly grew to become my favourite game of all time.

Some changes I would like to see made are less sprite reuse and more diverse locations, and I'd prefer if it were like a prequel or gaiden

Edited by Voidlancer

Still need to play the first one. How does this compare to Etrian Odyssey/SMT?

Hard to compare the two. My favorite thing about Radiant Historia is the plot, followed by the characters. EO's plot is barebones, and I wasn't a huge fan of SMT IV's plot.

Anyway. . .if it got a sequel, that would make my decade.

When it comes to the story, I'd say it's far better than either of those two. Great great characters, great world, great plot twists(Really there are a LOT and you wont see any of them coming). And don't even get me started on the music. yoko shimomura really shines here. The only downside I would have would be that the grid like gameplay system is a bit difficult to understand at first and takes some getting use to, but after you get the hang of it, it's pretty fun/interesting.

It honestly makes me wonder how it's taken so long for interest in a sequel to be brought up.

Edited by Jagen

Oh my word, if there was a sequel, I'd be behaving like that Nintendo 64 kid. XD In all seriousness, I love Radiant Historia. Borrowed it from a friend 3 years back, and really enjoyed it. Sucks that I had to give it back... Especially because I didn't buy myself another copy (mainly because of expensiveness, partially due to the fact that I don't trust Amazon). Sigh... I miss that game...

The combat system is closer to a mix of Final Fantasy, Ogre Battle, and Megaman Battle Network, with an emphasis on knocking enemies onto the same square in a 3x3 grid so your party can combo them. You can switch around the turn order in order to make the combos hit for a really long time, but it's a risk reward thing since it lowers your defense stat.

The other gimmick of the game is that your lead can travel between any point on two separate timelines. Since he retains skills and knowledge between the two, Stocke needs to explore both in order to advance. For instance, at one point spy!Stocke needs to get past a military checkpoint disguised as a performer. To do so, he needs to learn sword dancing from a soldier under soldier!Stocke. This isn't getting into the sidequests, which can sometimes send you all the way back to the beginning of the game to find people who weren't important before but are now. Expect the game to throw more "Bad End"s then a visual novel too.

Graphics wise, the game isn't perfect. Sprite reuse runs rampant and it has the typical issues of mixing sprites with 3D backgrounds that DS games had. Still, it has a certain amount of charm.

All in all, it's a fun, challenging Atlus title that is very different from their first person dungeon crawlers. If you can find a copy, play it.

Hard to compare the two. My favorite thing about Radiant Historia is the plot, followed by the characters. EO's plot is barebones, and I wasn't a huge fan of SMT IV's plot.

Anyway. . .if it got a sequel, that would make my decade.

I'd like to embarrass you a bit and thank you for sending the game to me. I'll get you back for it, I swear.

Anyway, it's possible that Radiant Historia 2 could be as related to Radiant Historia as like... FF2 is to FF1.