3 turn clear of Chapter 14 in HHM?

ruadath

I still don't get why "reliability" is a factor for a playthrough with the specifics that your has (absolute lowest turns), though I'm not one to ever go through 100 RNs to get something I want (usually I stay away from any visible RNG abuse, but in GBAFE I simply forego saving a turn if a condition is terribly unrealistic to fulfil).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't get why "reliability" is a factor for a playthrough with the specifics that your has (absolute lowest turns), though I'm not one to ever go through 100 RNs to get something I want (usually I stay away from any visible RNG abuse, but in GBAFE I simply forego saving a turn if a condition is terribly unrealistic to fulfil).

At the very least, would you not agree that this clear looked all the more impressive because of the fact that besides the 3 RN burns with Bartre at the beginning, there were no "visible" RN burns? (Guy and Serra each burned an RN later on, though it wasn't particularly visible).

Anyway, I believe I stated as one of my goals for a playthrough like this to perform the minimum amount of RNG abuse possible, and I'd much prefer to stick to something like 5 RN burns compared to 50 RN burns. I'm sure you guys find it more interesting to watch too.

You're not minimizing RNG abuse, you're minimizing RN burning. You're taking advantage of a seeded RNG. What you're doing can be replicated from A to Z, but not just anywhere in the middle. If I were to try your Ch14 strategy it wouldn't work because I'd have to use your Ch11-Ch13 strats as well.

That doesn't mean it's not impressive and it's certainly easier on the eye than a TAS. But there's no denying you are heavily abusing the RNG.

You're not minimizing RNG abuse, you're minimizing RN burning. You're taking advantage of a seeded RNG. What you're doing can be replicated from A to Z, but not just anywhere in the middle. If I were to try your Ch14 strategy it wouldn't work because I'd have to use your Ch11-Ch13 strats as well.

Well, of course, that's what I meant by minimizing "RNG abuse." I do concede that you have a fair point though.

That doesn't mean it's not impressive and it's certainly easier on the eye than a TAS.

Thanks! I appreciate the compliment.

Mekkah, thank you for that comment! You actually inspired some very useful changes to the playthrough with that, so I'm happy you made it!

Speaking of which, how would it be best to showcase a few minor edits to the playthrough? I don't want to remake the entire video for something that just changes a few actions... so perhaps I'll just make another video entitled edits or something?

Any tips?

Just list the changes in detail with some screenshots to establish different positions or levelups or whatever. Unless the strategy changes drastically, that seems like it'll save you a lot of effort along with conveying any important information.

Just list the changes in detail with some screenshots to establish different positions or levelups or whatever. Unless the strategy changes drastically, that seems like it'll save you a lot of effort along with conveying any important information.

OK, but the changes date back to Chapter 13. Do you think that method is still acceptable?

EDIT: This may have actually been a false alarm, since something unexpected happened in Chapter 14, but let me make sure... Not a false alarm, but things are capable of turning out even better than expected so this might take a bit longer than I anticipated.

Edited by ruadath

OK, so all of that fuss about redoing Chapter 13 came to nothing (pretty much), but I did find one small possible change in Chapter 14 by reordering my moves on turn 3. Listed below are the resulting changes:

+20G (1 Javelin conserved from Marcus making use of a critical)

+Better Rebecca level (+HP, +Str, - Luck)

-Worse Bartre level (-HP,-Spd,-Luck,+Res)

worth it? I don't know; I don't imagine either of these units will be particularly useful throughout the rest of the playthrough, but going by levels alone, I would take the original run. That being said, I'm down to 3 or 4 Javelin uses (depending on which run I take), I don't get another Javelin until Florina, and I won't be able to buy a ton more until Pirate Ship, so... that extra use could prove useful. What do you think?

Just a thought: would this clear be possible while having done LHM?

The reason I ask is because it is highly likely that Erk goes and kills something that he isn't supposed to on turn 1, which makes the turn 2 EP brigand reinforcement fail to spawn move. I suppose it might be possible to rig for him to miss one of his Thunders?

I think the problem is that based on Marcus' current position (which seems to me the only reasonable place to put him), Erk will go after the armored knight who moves west of the house. Erk doubles him at base, and even if we rig a miss, he moves out of Serra's range, so we can't recruit him on turn 2, meaning he gets another "Other Phase" to continue to screw up our plans (not to mention he moves onto Lowen's spot, which means there isn't a good place to drop Hector).

• 2 weeks later...

Something "amusing" that I thought you guys might enjoy:

I tried to make another minor improvement to this chapter, namely giving Marcus a Hand Axe (since no one else is using them) and letting him equip it for the first turn. This would have several minor benefits:

- saves some funds (possibly important in a ranked context)

- Get Marcus some Axe WExp so he can start wielding the Silver Axe sooner

- conserve some Javelin uses so that I have more than 3 or 4 for the next chapter

None of these are particularly important, though I thought it might be nice to have. In any case, things seemed to have been going along perfectly well with this strategy, with Marcus hitting both mercs (he actually takes damage this time, though it doesn't matter because I heal with the Vulnerary on the second turn). I thought I was set at this point, but the slight penalty to his AS meant that the second archer ended up hitting him instead of missing (not really a problem), and then the change in RNG made Marcus crit him on the counter. :(

That reminds me of that one time when I was trying to LTC FE6 with foot units only and I could have either gotten Roy and Lilina to B support or sent Lilina to kill things and get to B Anima while Roy seizes. The first time I played the chapter, I hadn't realized Lilina was so close to the weapon level. During the next chapter, she hit it while attacking the boss, so I went back to the previous chapter, got the weapon level, and played the second chapter again, this time without the support. It turned out that the evasion bonus (+2.5, IIRC?) from Roy's support was what kept her from getting killed.