Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow

Dai

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Man, the more I think about it, the more I want them to somehow create compatibility with Pokemon Stadium. Maybe by creating an app for the 3DS that reads Virtual Console save data and can emulate the Transfer Pack.

I mean, Stadium was awesome back then. It had intelligently build teams and a very smart AI. They would take advantage of Body Slam and Thunderwave, equip their Water Pokemon with Ice attacks... they even utilize the Toxic/Leech Seed glitch. (Of course, things get very frustrating if they decide to take advantage of Wrap...) And they actually recognize when the opponent had few HP and would use a move with more accuracy to finish them off. (Maybe they would also switch attacks in case the player would swap out their Pokemon, hard to tell.) As a casual player, it was an amazing opportunity to get a taste of the depth that could be found in R/B/Y.

I supposed one thing that was a bit of a disappointment about the second generation, is that they didn't use the AI of Pokemon Stadium. Those trainers weren't even smart enough to swap out a Pokemon with a type disadvantage. They were barely more intelligent then the ones in the original games

Edited by BrightBow

I-it's not like I'm hyped about rediscovering the first gen on 3DS or anything. B-baka !

Oh god, a tsundere joke, I've sunk so freaking low...

So yeah, pretty much hyped, I won't jump on it immediatly but yeah, I'll take a look at it.

Man, the more I think about it, the more I want them to somehow create compatibility with Pokemon Stadium. Maybe by creating an app for the 3DS that reads Virtual Console and can emulate the Transfer Pack.

I mean, Stadium was awesome back then. It had intelligently build teams and a very smart AI. They would take advantage of Body Slam and Thunderwave, equip their Water Pokemon with Ice attacks... they even utilize the Toxic/Leech Seed glitch. (Of course, things get very frustrating if they decide to take advantage of Wrap...) And they actually recognize when the opponent had few HP and would use a move with more accuracy to finish them off. (Maybe they would also switch attacks in case the player would swap out their Pokemon, hard to tell.) As a casual player, it was an amazing opportunity to get a taste of the depth that could be found in R/B/Y.

This. Also, we need them to release second gen and PS2 with the same functions.

If they already have it made so that you can use wireless on the games, it shouldn't be too hard to do this.

If they did, however, I would be scrambling for a Nintendo card so fast! I want to relive Pokemon Stadium 1 / 2 again...WITHOUT my transfer pak crashing 99% of the time. <_<

Tauros immune to paralysis by Body Slam? Really? Never realized that.

this was discovered last year. moves that have a % chance to inflict prz, brn, or frz cannot inflict that status on an opposing pokemon who shares the same type as the move.

so flamethrower can't burn fire-types, ice beam can't freeze ice-types, thunderbolt can't paralyze electric-types

and body slam can't paralyze normal types

which means that snorlax and chansey are also immune to body slam paralysis

Man, the more I think about it, the more I want them to somehow create compatibility with Pokemon Stadium. Maybe by creating an app for the 3DS that reads Virtual Console save data and can emulate the Transfer Pack.

I wondered if Nintendo could re-release Pokemon Stadium to the Wii U Virtual Console since the Nintendo 64 Virtual Console was added a while ago and add a support link for all the Gen 1 Virtual Console Ports?

But, I do think of getting the Red version for my 3DS.

Edited by King Marth 64

I supposed one thing that was a bit of a disappointment about the second generation, is that they didn't use the AI of Pokemon Stadium. Those trainers weren't even smart enough to swap out a Pokemon with a type disadvantage. They were barely more intelligent then the ones in the original games

It was also 3vs3 which is my preferred format.

The GB couldn't handle Stadium's AI, comparing the GB with the N64 is like comparing a compass with a GPS system.

this was discovered last year. moves that have a % chance to inflict prz, brn, or frz cannot inflict that status on an opposing pokemon who shares the same type as the move.

so flamethrower can't burn fire-types, ice beam can't freeze ice-types, thunderbolt can't paralyze electric-types

and body slam can't paralyze normal types

which means that snorlax and chansey are also immune to body slam paralysis

This may have been done on purpose, to avoid more complex programming. But it does give Tauros and Chansey even more of a ridiculous advantage.

• 4 weeks later...

Come to think of it, the announcement of this release is kinda weird. I mean, the 3DS didn't get a single Virtual Console game for the entirety of 2015. I'd figured that they'd abandoned the 3DS Virtual Console entirely.

Edited by BrightBow

Come to think of it, the announcement of this release is kinda weird. I mean, the 3DS didn't get a single Virtual Console game for the entirety of 2015. I'd figured that they'd abandoned the 3DS Virtual Console entirely.

didn't they like, actually say that they did

i don't remember where exactly but I remember reading somewhere that the reason there haven't been any 3ds virtual console games in a while is because they're just done adding games to it

edit: apparently it was just game boy games

Edited by maybe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[spoiler='Everybody's favourite mon is confirmed]

I hope the truck reappears as well, though I don't see why it wouldn't

Also you can trade them over to Sun and Moon

People can already buy it? For me it's not available yet. It's listed in the shop but it can't be purchased yet. Edit: Oh yeah, the special 2-3DS releases... Nevermind then.

Anyway, this looks a little disappointing. Considering that Nintendo made a huge fuss about it, I would have expected that at least these games would get support for their Game Boy Color pallets. Well, Yellow does but Blue probably had the nicest colors. And these games are all listed as costing 10€, which is twice the price of the other GBC releases for the Virtual Console. One more reason they should have put some more work into this.

Edit: And it's probably worth mentioning that the European E-Shop lists several versions of each edition, for each of the individual European translations. So watch out that you don't accidentally buy the version with the wrong language.

Edited by BrightBow

The reason for the price is probably because 1) People are gonna buy it anyways and 2) They probably had to pay people to figure out how to get the Pokemon Bank compatibility working.

It's really cool that they're finally releasing it though, people have been waiting for it since they first started putting GB games on the 3DS.

Out of curiosity, I know they said that RBY will have Pokemon Bank compatibility. Now, does that mean that I can transfer between the three games myself, or is it ONLY to transfer to Sun and Moon?

You know I'm a little curious what would happen if someone tried uploading missingno to the Pokemon bank.

Probably nothing. Even Pokemon Stadium was already smart enough not to let you use them.

In menus were you could select teams to battle with, they would simply not be displayed. In every other menu, the game would use the model of the substitute doll as a placeholder. And in the case of actual Pokemon with a level higher then 100 , the game would simply display their level as 100 and lower their stats accordingly.

Edit: Although if it actually would work, I would guess that the glitch Pokemon would simply change into other Pokemon. I mean, the reason the glitch Pokemon exist is because the game tries to load a Pokemon that doesn't actually exist in the game's data. But there are far more then 151 Pokemon now, so the IDs of the glitch Pokemon should now actually be legit.

Edited by BrightBow

Ugh, $9.99. It's just a little steep. I can kinda see buying this if a bunch of people got together and decided to do a concurrent play through with me, other than that, it's just so easy to, um, acquire those games in other ways.