Pokemon Red Blue and Yellow

Dai

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Japan gets a bit more out of the whole thing: those in Japan or willing to import can get a magnet of the Game Boy cartridge of Japanese Pokemon Red, Green, Blue, or Yellow, and get a download code for the 3DS Virtual Console game, a map of Kanto, and a manual.

I will buy the yellow version of the game next year after I buy the New 3DS XL. I have never played the original first gen. games, but have always wanted to play one of them with a handheld console. I have also small questions of about the 1st generation:

1.Am I correct that this gen. doesn’t support abilities?

2.Has this gen. IV’s and/or EV’s?

3.This gen. has no special attack or special defense, but spec. stat. Does it stand as Special attack, Special defense or both?

I will buy the yellow version of the game next year after I buy the New 3DS XL. I have never played the original first gen. games, but have always wanted to play one of them with a handheld console. I have also small questions of about the 1st generation:

1.Am I correct that this gen. doesn’t support abilities?

2.Has this gen. IV’s and/or EV’s?

3.This gen. has no special attack or special defense, but spec. stat. Does it stand as Special attack, Special defense or both?

1. Correct, no abilities.

2. It doesn't work exactly the same, but essentially yes.

3. Special is both Special attack and special defense.

Edited by -Cynthia-

1. Correct, no abilities.

2. It doesn't work exactly the same, but essentially yes.

3. Special is both Special attack and special defense.

Great, this is pretty much what I wanted to now. Thanks for the answer.

Dear God, imagine all the Mewtwos and Dragonites in WiFi battles. So god damn OP (I can't wait)

Also, I hope they keep the Mew glitch in at least so one can get all 151.

Edited by Azz

Dear God, imagine all the Mewtwos and Dragonites in WiFi battles. So god damn OP (I can't wait)

Also, I hope they keep the Mew glitch in at least so one can get all 151.

I'm not sure, but the wireless communication thing is most likely local only.

Dragonite isn't that great in RGBY but it's only listed as OU in Smogon due to Wrap, which was gamebreaking in Gen. 1 since the target gets trapped and Dragonite can still be switched out right after getting Wrap to connect. It also has Agility which allows it to get the speed needed to basically Wrap Pokemon first.

Persian is also pretty OP due to the mechanics of critical hits -- the faster you are, the higher your crit rate, not to mention that crits deal triple damage IIRC in Gen. 1 -- Persian can pretty much get guaranteed critical hits using Slash. Snorlax and Tauros are also dangerous Normal Pokemon in RGBY though for different reasons.

Psychic-type Pokemon rule in general but some are better than others (Mewtwo, Mew, Slowbro, Alakazam, Exeggutor, Jynx, and Starmie)

Gen. 1 is pretty much the only generation in which you can see Hyper Beam being used in competitive play!

It's going to be awkward to play these games without the support of Pokemon Stadium. Because of that game, I am used to play RBY at triple speed and to use Stadium's extensive Pokemon management features. Not to mention, the ability to store items (I mean, you can only keep 70 items in those game in total. And HMs and TMs make for 55 items by themselves.) and Pokemon on the cartridge, which was also a convenient way to move Pokemon between versions. The map was also useful sometimes since I always skipped the map of Blue's sister in order to save valuable inventory space.

Something that I am wondering is if they will fix the Missingno glitch. That would probably be a reasonable thing to do, it is a dangerous bug after all. But I consider the ability to multiply TMs essentially a basic game features.in the first two generations, so it's absence would be frustrating.

Edited by BrightBow

It's going to be awkward to play these games without the support of Pokemon Stadium. Because of that game, I am used to play RBY at triple speed and to use Stadium's extensive Pokemon management features. Not to mention, the ability to store items (I mean, you can only keep 70 items in those game in total. And HMs and TMs make for 55 items by themselves.) and Pokemon on the cartridge, which was also a convenient way to move Pokemon between versions. The map was also useful sometimes since I always skipped the map of Blue's sister in order to save valuable inventory space.

Something that I am wondering is if they will fix the Missingno glitch. That would probably be a reasonable thing to do, it is a dangerous bug after all. But I consider the ability to multiply TMs essentially a basic game features.in the first two generations, so it's absence would be frustrating.

The Missingno glitch is actually pretty harmless -- the most harm it could do is mess up the Hall of Fame data. Otherwise, nothing else. The whole lost save data thing is due to the internal battery running out, which wouldn't be an issue in the 3DS Virtual Console.

Another thing to add is that TMs are 1-time use and that there's no move deleter for those crappy HM moves. Also, Pokemon that know HM moves cannot stay at the Day Care.

Edited by Roflolxp54

The Missingno glitch is actually pretty harmless -- the most harm it could do is mess up the Hall of Fame data. Otherwise, nothing else. The whole lost save data thing is due to the internal battery running out, which wouldn't be an issue in the 3DS Virtual Console.

Oh, it's quite dangerous. I never had it delete Pokemon or anything but I do know that if you keep an item with unlimited uses in the sixth slot like the Pokeflute or whatever, that item essentially becomes cursed. If you try to move it away from the sixth slot, it will instead create a copy of the item. So you can never remove it from the sixth slot, trying to move it will just waste your limited inventory space on useless copies that you can't throw away.

Edited by BrightBow

Oh, it's quite dangerous. I never had it delete Pokemon or anything but I do know that if you keep an item with unlimited uses in the sixth slot like the Pokeflute or whatever, that item essentially becomes cursed. If you try to move it away from the sixth slot, it will instead create a copy of the item. So you can never remove it from the sixth slot, trying to move it will just waste your limited inventory space on useless copies that you can't throw away.

Really now? That's news to me. Well, I guess that people who plan on abusing the glitch would have to be careful then.

Pikachu with Surf isn't afraid of nothing!

This reminds me that we won't be able to play the Surfing Pikachu minigame in Pokemon Yellow since teaching a Pikachu Surf requires Pokemon Stadium.

Edited by BrightBow

This reminds me that we won't be able to play the Surfing Pikachu minigame in Pokemon Yellow since teaching a Pikachu Surf requires Pokemon Stadium.

Unless they somehow hack in a move tutor or the ability to teach Pikachu Surf. That would be something.

Gen 1 is pretty much Tauros Snorlax Chansey Egg playzone

Tauros is just hilariously lucky in Gen 1. As someone mentioned the good thing about Tauros is that just about everything is going for him at a "just enough" value. His attack isn't too high, but its high enough to deal serious damage(and Body Slam + Hyper Beam is OP anyway). His Special is low, but its backed by moves good enough to kill everything. His Speed is just enough to beat some of the fastest pokemon in the meta, fighting types sucks(even outside Psychic weakness) and he's extremely tanky

And then they discovered that it is immune to Body Slam paralysis(and Body Slam is the best move in the game) and he become even more broken

Also its funny to think that Gen 1 Alakazam was mainly used as a Wall, and in fact the most defensive pokemon in the meta

Edited by JSND

Unless they somehow hack in a move tutor or the ability to teach Pikachu Surf. That would be something.

Oh, thanks for reminding me about Move Tutors. In RGBY and FRLG, each move tutor can only teach 1 Pokemon and that's it. You cannot have that move tutor teach another Pokemon or reteach the move unless you restart the game (basically making move tutors more limited than TMs).

Gen 1 is pretty much Tauros Snorlax Chansey Egg playzone

Tauros is just hilariously lucky in Gen 1. As someone mentioned the good thing about Tauros is that just about everything is going for him at a "just enough" value. His attack isn't too high, but its high enough to deal serious damage(and Body Slam + Hyper Beam is OP anyway). His Special is low, but its backed by moves good enough to kill everything. His Speed is just enough to beat some of the fastest pokemon in the meta, fighting types sucks(even outside Psychic weakness) and he's extremely tanky

And then they discovered that it is immune to Body Slam paralysis(and Body Slam is the best move in the game) and he become even more broken

Also its funny to think that Gen 1 Alakazam was mainly used as a Wall, and in fact the most defensive pokemon in the meta

Tauros immune to paralysis by Body Slam? Really? Never realized that.

With Double-Edge at only 100 BP and still giving recoil, and no Return, Body Slam was the go-to Normal-type move. Decent power and high chance of para, what's not to love?

Tauros is fucking hard to kill, that's right. He has variety and can even be used to OHKO abuse (the famous "FishTauros") by paralyzing with Body Slam and then firing away Horn Drill and Fissure. Tauros can also do Blizzard IIRC which remedies his low Special.

Reflect makes Alakazam essentially invincible. He has no weakness and sponges hits like a pro. Psychic has high chance of lowering Special so he's a fearsome attacker as well. He can't muscle through enemy Psychic Pokémon, though, with his best move being Seismic Toss which is just a compromise and not a true alternative.

Exeggutor was emasculated in GSC but in RBY he was pretty strong with Special at full power, ability to fire Psychic, Mega Drain against unsuspecting enemy to heal, and status.

Persian had almost everything he needed. Slash does a number against everything and Bubblebeam can nail Rhydon and Golem. If someone considered a fossil you could use Electric move like Thunderbolt as well. Too bad that Gengar stops him from rampaging the opposing team.

Dragonite is powerful but everyone in RBY packs Ice move so he's not a huge threat. He's still a better Gyarados, though, if anything because of Twave/Wrap.

Snorlax... No comment. That fat slob was a fun killer in RBY and GSC.

Chansey is impossible to kill from Special side, has recovery unique to her, variety in attacks, status... Simply a nightmare. She got nerfed in GSC but GF thought they had to compensate for it so they gave her the new form Blissey for a laugh.

Everyone complaining about lack of variety in today's OU metagame should probably play a round of RBY competitive battle to know what "lack of variety" and brokenness truly mean.

Edited by Cerberus87

I just realized I need any of these to have a game from each generation.I'll also be able to complete the Pokedex by trading with my sister,since she always gets the other version.

I will once again say, I'll enjoy Persian actually being good again, same with Tauros.

Dragonite will also suck,Psychic-type will also be OP again.

Edited by ShadowShine

Tauros immune to paralysis by Body Slam? Really? Never realized that.

With Double-Edge at only 100 BP and still giving recoil, and no Return, Body Slam was the go-to Normal-type move. Decent power and high chance of para, what's not to love?

Tauros is fucking hard to kill, that's right. He has variety and can even be used to OHKO abuse (the famous "FishTauros") by paralyzing with Body Slam and then firing away Horn Drill and Fissure. Tauros can also do Blizzard IIRC which remedies his low Special.

Reflect makes Alakazam essentially invincible. He has no weakness and sponges hits like a pro. Psychic has high chance of lowering Special so he's a fearsome attacker as well. He can't muscle through enemy Psychic Pokémon, though, with his best move being Seismic Toss which is just a compromise and not a true alternative.

Exeggutor was emasculated in GSC but in RBY he was pretty strong with Special at full power, ability to fire Psychic, Mega Drain against unsuspecting enemy to heal, and status.

Persian had almost everything he needed. Slash does a number against everything and Bubblebeam can nail Rhydon and Golem. If someone considered a fossil you could use Electric move like Thunderbolt as well. Too bad that Gengar stops him from rampaging the opposing team.

Dragonite is powerful but everyone in RBY packs Ice move so he's not a huge threat. He's still a better Gyarados, though, if anything because of Twave/Wrap.

Snorlax... No comment. That fat slob was a fun killer in RBY and GSC.

Chansey is impossible to kill from Special side, has recovery unique to her, variety in attacks, status... Simply a nightmare. She got nerfed in GSC but GF thought they had to compensate for it so they gave her the new form Blissey for a laugh.

Everyone complaining about lack of variety in today's OU metagame should probably play a round of RBY competitive battle to know what "lack of variety" and brokenness truly mean.

EGG was still OU in Gen 2. Its not until Gen 3 that he drops. The drop in Gen 4 is easilly predictable though(lol U Turn)

The whole "Body Slam can't Paralyze Tauros" is actually a very recent discovery. Like... last year or something.

Yeah gen 1 have a serious lack of variety. Chansey Tauros Snorlax Exeguttor + 2 filler is just about the best team you can run

But what can you expect when theres only like 50 fully evolved pokemon?

Edited by JSND