Leafy's Collection of Things for a Project

BlueLeafeon

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looked at the vanilla sniper in comparison to yours, looks like the lower body is frozen on both, but you get shoulder motion in the vanilla and don't yet have it here (I'd go for some torso motion as well, since yours is reaching over the shoulder for it). Also timing was different for pretty much the same action.

lKueO.gif5mHGjCM.gif

(New<-original. Minor quick edit with two shifts and different timing and one tween on the far arm. Far arm still seems fairly stiff, but idk if that's an issue for you.)

Don't think it's too choppy at all, and a pretty good start. ^^

The only thing that I suggest is that the lower body almost seems like it's prosthetic and is cemented as it is VERY static. Give it a shift or something.

[11:49:24 AM] magiflarp: His legs are like steel beams

I can't argue with two suggestions that are practically saying the same thing lol. I've tried altering the legs--to make him seem like he brought his feet closer together when he reached back to get the arrow, but...IT LOOKS REALLY AWFUL.

3kLWyMV.png

Looked at the vanilla sniper in comparison to yours, looks like the lower body is frozen on both, but you get shoulder motion in the vanilla and don't yet have it here (I'd go for some torso motion as well, since yours is reaching over the shoulder for it). Also timing was different for pretty much the same action.

lKueO.gif5mHGjCM.gif

(New<-original. Minor quick edit with two shifts and different timing and one tween on the far arm. Far arm still seems fairly stiff, but idk if that's an issue for you.)

Don't think it's too choppy at all, and a pretty good start. ^^

So is 10 centiseconds per frame the amount that the GBA uses? I have an hard time finding out what frame rate to use, because the ones at FEP all feel as if their timing are off, somehow.

Thank you for the edits--I'll make sure to mend what I can. I was going to see if I can custom a blur frame for when he raises the bow up--a friend suggested to me to put the vertical bow and diagonal bow on separate layers and create the blur frame over them, which sounds like it MIGHT work.

Normally I would just use/edit vanilla animations. But while the archer/sniper animations work for vanilla characters, I really don't feel as if they fit Kedar. I mean, his palette is awful:

tyOCfK8.gif

Obviously, not done yet, but I want to make this part of the animation more presentable before I move on. Any suggestions?

You changed the angle of the body.

That means that the arm motions don't match up right. Try replicating the motions yourself.

When I tried it:

1. It's more natural to move the arrow-arm over the chest, not out to the side.

2. the drawing arrow from quiver (frame before the arrow is blurred) would have the arm up higher.

3. the arm would never make the shape it does in the last frame that you have at that angle-- the body would have to turn more to reach that far

4. Difficult to pull the bowstring taut without pulling bow-arm closer to center.

5. The logical conclusion of this draw would require pulling the arrow-arm through the chest for maximum pull, which means that a turn would happen to prevent that outcome.

as another point, I don't think we shouldn't be able to see the quiver from this angle, or perhaps the arrow could drawn out more vertically. if the quiver is visible from this angle, the arrow wouldn't actually come out of the quiver at such an angle... I think.

You changed the angle of the body.

Not sure how I changed the angle of the body... ...but now that I think about it, Lyn is facing a completely different direction for her bow animation. I should have taken this into account before I started.

That means that the arm motions don't match up right. Try replicating the motions yourself.

When I tried it:

1. It's more natural to move the arrow-arm over the chest, not out to the side.

This would be easier if I could actually physically see somebody doing this, and therefore, would have an actual reference. -_-

Dunno what you mean by #1 though.

2. the drawing arrow from quiver (frame before the arrow is blurred) would have the arm up higher.

3. the arm would never make the shape it does in the last frame that you have at that angle-- the body would have to turn more to reach that far

In my recent edit, which I haven't animated because ANIMATION WORKSHOP WILL NOT SAVE OMG, I do have his arm up a pixel higher, as well as his shoulder.

Dunno which frame you're speaking of. Give me a frame number.

4. Difficult to pull the bowstring taut without pulling bow-arm closer to center.

?

As in closer to the chest...?

5. The logical conclusion of this draw would require pulling the arrow-arm through the chest for maximum pull, which means that a turn would happen to prevent that outcome.

...I guess a turn would be needed at some point. ...Too bad I have no idea how to actually custom an animation.

as another point, I don't think we shouldn't be able to see the quiver from this angle, or perhaps the arrow could drawn out more vertically. if the quiver is visible from this angle, the arrow wouldn't actually come out of the quiver at such an angle... I think.

Il0sFgq.png

It's this thing here. And it's...not at the right angle, either. *sigh*

This would be easier if I could actually physically see somebody doing this, and therefore, would have an actual reference. -_-

Y-You don't have a mirror?

Dunno what you mean by #1 though.

move your left hand, from your hip, to the air above your left shoulder is, and behind your back.

Going from those two points is more natural if you bring your arm in front of your chest or over itself than what's done--the arm going away from the chest.

like the right side.

Or maybe that's just me from having studied archery and not having taken it.

then again, emphasizing things is sort of the art of animation anyway, so it may be better to leave it that way.

Dunno which frame you're speaking of. Give me a frame number.

11th? where the arrow's fletching meets the bowstring.

?

As in closer to the chest...?

...Yes?

It's not actually really a thing against it, it just looks difficult, to me, to pull the bowstring taut from that position--well, moreso than it needs to be.

...I guess a turn would be needed at some point. ...Too bad I have no idea how to actually custom an animation.

;_;

Not a full turn, just an adjustment to the angle that the body is at. Like, after drawing the arrow, moving their right foot (our left) to be in the same line as their left foot (the one on our right).

That creates a natural line for the arrow to be placed-- in line with the arms and shoulders.

It's this thing here. And it's...not at the right angle, either. *sigh*

(that's what I was trying to say

I don't think we should be able to see the quiver at that angle)

I'm not making much sense... I'm sorry.

Y-You don't have a mirror?

I need to be able to see this WHILE I'm spriting, lol.

Or maybe that's just me from having studied archery and not having taken it.

I've studied archery myself, and actually own a "toy" bow although I've never taken classes. I will have to find some gloves somewhere and play with it for a bit to see what's best.

It's not actually really a thing against it, it just looks difficult, to me, to pull the bowstring taut from that position--well, moreso than it needs to be.

I'm beginning to think the true issue here is the sprite I was using for reference:

[spoiler=sprite sheet]VaMkHoH.gif

hc9PiXf.png

Not only is she at a different angle, but a lot of the issues you pointed out are also an issue with her--she's holding the bow straight out, and her quiver is clearly vertical while the arrow she's drawing is diagonal--that's not gonna work. Also, she pulls the arrow from the quiver AND brings it down in front of her with a single blur frame.

You can always rescript the sniper animation and recolour it the way you want to be coloured.

The problem is that Kedar wears his quiver on his back. That's the whole reason I haven't edited the archer/sniper animations already.

I'm going to do some intense studying of vanilla bow classes and see if I can't come up with a way to solve this issue.

Edited by BlueLeafeon

You don't shoot a bow while standing facing straight forward. The bow is drawn parallel to the body, or else it interferes with the movement of the bow, and you sure as hell can't aim with it like that. Furthermore, he's drawing a little low.

FE archers actually have fairly good form, and are mostly accurate to how you'd actually shoot a bow (ex: snipers shoot like archers who practice kyuudo). Though, my biggest beef with the archer animations is that the bows don't bend. >:E

Edited by Greninjeta

^ I'm not sure what made me completely and totally forget that.

I will try again at a later date--I actually have something in mind for how I will attempt this next time.

FOR NOW, HOWEVER... I made a map!

Ne2kKEl.png

On one hand, I should have used the Ruins tileset for this. On the other hand, the ruins tileset didn't have all the pretty indoor pieces I wanted for the place where the legendary sword slumbers. Sadly, that means THIS tileset doesn't have everything I need for ruins. SHAME.

Most of the cracks on the building are for appearance's sake only. The walls outside, however, can be destroyed for weapon experience or whatever. (If walls give that...?)

Okay, so for my next attempt at Kedar's sprite, I simply...edited Lyn. Yay?

KnHOB0Q.png

For the visually impaired:

HFhY1ED.png

I THINK I got rid of all the girliness? Also fixed Lyn's stupidly impossible vertical quiver for a diagonal one. This is the only frame I've done, but I want opinions on it before I continue.

Some enemy wyvern guy who wound up looking younger than intended. Yay?

KIb4mTG.png

Edit to the Big Bad. His massive nose was just too hideous.

NCb7mbj.png

My first lake map: Okay, not really, but my first since my return to the community:

x3tU0pX.png

Also, some other thing I did during my time away. I know it's not spriting, but I'm not opening a new topic in the general art forum for a single image, lol.

IMZ4zIe.png

A title screen that (I think?) will actually work on FEXNA. At least, it's the right size...

Edited by BlueLeafeon

A collection of things of various types:

A portrait of Ryan that is supposed to be angry-ish:

05SZoVJ.png

[spoiler=Sprite Sheets]

An edit to Roy's map icon, in order to fit Ryan more:

l0kjp6M.png

An attempt to organize items which will be found in my game, along with edited palettes that make them look more like their FE10 counterparts and less like garbled, mismatching colors because some genius decided to make all items share a palette:

PdBbpEk.png

A photomanip:

V1D4e2X.png

The new Prologue map: (The old one will be Chapter 1)

uht6zqf.png

ryan looks more determined than mad :o

interesting prologue map

Yeah, he really didn't turn out the way I wanted. I need to edit the eyes to actually make him look mad, I think. (Same with sad--I've tried multiple times to make him look sad, and it never works lol.) Doesn't help that the only ANGRY!/SAD! sprites I can truly see in the originals are Eliwood/Lyn and they both have their heads tilted downward, so I can't see their faces, precisely. :/

An ugly guy who's ugly. I can't tell if he's just ugly or if I need to fix him.

HTee6th.png

FYI: Red is hard to make glowy.

Edited by BlueLeafeon

9BXdYeg.png

Not much here to see, but it's a redo of my former attempt at Kedar's sprite. He SHOULD be more in true archery form now. Also, made him keep his bow down until he's ready to draw, as per one of my friend's comments on Lyn's sprite. Thanks to aeo for the partially-done idle frame she made.

I'm going to try and make him slightly less choppy than Lyn originally was... Does anybody have any tips on how to do blur frames?

I'm going to try and make him slightly less choppy than Lyn originally was... Does anybody have any tips on how to do blur frames?

Start with, if your blur is frame 8, frames 7 and 9.

Remove the outline color from both frames and overlay them.

Replace the third shade with the second shade, and pull pixels from frame 9 towards the position of the same limb in frame 7, and do the same with the pixels in frame 7, pulling them towards their positions in frame 9.

Then connect the resulting positions using first and second shades exclusively.

That's how I do a lot of my blurs but I'm sure that there're also better ways.

Start with, if your blur is frame 8, frames 7 and 9.

Remove the outline color from both frames and overlay them.

Replace the third shade with the second shade, and pull pixels from frame 9 towards the position of the same limb in frame 7, and do the same with the pixels in frame 7, pulling them towards their positions in frame 9.

Then connect the resulting positions using first and second shades exclusively.

That's how I do a lot of my blurs but I'm sure that there're also better ways.

I tried to follow these directions, but I don't think it worked. Wound up using some default animation blurs instead. Maybe you should write a guide on blur frames. I haven't been able to find any.

JFyyRtY.png

Ignore the random floating arrow, bow and unfinished sprite. This is what I have so far...but once I was ready to bring the bow up, I realized I have no idea of how to bring the bow out of that idle frame and into a raised, ready-to-fire position. I was trying to study the ranger animation for clues, but then I just became eternally confused because the string pulls some physics-defying. <<;

I have a bow and I've been toying around with it, trying to figure this out, and I have a general idea of what needs to be done, but I'm not sure how to actually draw/animate that. From what I've gathered, one would need to flip the bow so that the end pointed towards the ground when idle is actually pointed upwards. So now I just can't figure out how I'm supposed to draw that. :(

^ Thank you for that. Looks like they used Lyn's animation as a base for the bow-usage as well. Somewhat.

After studying how he did it, I ended up doing my own thing by practicing the movements with my bow, and copy/pasting swirl frames from other vanilla animations to mimic how I was doing it. (Ignore that unfinished last frame. I kind of ran out of juice at that point lol)

3n7OfCR.png

I have an animation in the works to ensure that these frames are going smoothly together, but unfortunately, my Animation Workshop program cannot save on this Windows 7 comp. (It's an ancient program.) I don't feel like saving all the frames as individual files and then uploading them to that online gif-maker, either, because it only uses static frame rates and it's horrifically inconvenient. -_-

And after getting this far with the animation, I decided to draw this guy in a different way, but the question is: do I care enough to make a new topic in the art section for my non-pixelly works? HMM... or maybe the better question is: would other people care enough?

Woah, I'm relevant. That's cool.

The most recent version's animations can be the first page of my spriting topic or on the Feditor animation topic I did reference Lyn quite a bit when creating that. Below is the sheet where I kept all my bow angles, for consistency's sake:

[spoiler=hunter bow worksheet]

JH4aSVb.png

I'm fine with people doing whatever with that animation, just to give credit if things are actually copy pasted from it or it's used in a game.

Looks like image shack took down all my other images. Haven't been on that topic in a while.

I love the convo background.

Edited by deranger

Kedar's bow-swinging animation was a whole lot easier once I tested the movement with my own bow, and then made a doodle to show which directions the ends were turning. XD

Your new prologue map is great! I really like your new stuff too :)

Thanks! The prologue map feels a bit empty, even with units, but eh, Ryan is training with some of his knights in that chapter. I'll just handwave it by saying the battlefield is meant for a slightly larger number of trainees. lol

Woah, I'm relevant. That's cool.

The most recent version's animations can be the first page of my spriting topic or on the Feditor animation topic I did reference Lyn quite a bit when creating that. Below is the sheet where I kept all my bow angles, for consistency's sake:

[spoiler=hunter bow worksheet]

JH4aSVb.png

I'm fine with people doing whatever with that animation, just to give credit if things are actually copy pasted from it or it's used in a game.

Looks like image shack took down all my other images. Haven't been on that topic in a while.

I love the convo background.

If I do use any frames from your animation, it'll probably be that blur frame. I tried to mimic it but mine is pretty dumb-looking. Actually, I think I will use it. Thanks for the permission! I'll make sure to credit it.

Remind me to never use imageshack.

Thanks. FE9 had day and night village pictures, but it lacked a sunset one, and I'm going to need one of those, so I had to do some photomanipulation to get one.

• 1 month later...

I have mostly been inactive because of skyrim, but I'm starting to return a little to the project again, which means

9YF3EpS.png

I haven't used the blur frame like I said I would, but that'll probably be in my next edit. This was mostly fixing errors, getting images of the bow at every angle (for a future crit animation) and finishing that last sprite. Also making the bow match his drawing.

Would post more, but SCHOOL TIME!

• 10 months later...

ohey this topic exists. And so do I.

Say hello to my dumb pokemon sprites that nobody cares about. Actually customed the hat myself. (The images are at x2 size because RPGMaker XP sucks that way.)

oLgRDdB.png

diWILgQ.png

Original trainer sprite was done by teapot a long time ago:

BddoaCu.png