As a Veteran FE Player, Should I Skip Fates?

Maelstrom.

134 members have voted

1. 1. Should I Skip It?

• You should skip it
    • You should wait until it's international release before making any rash decisions
    • You should get it (And I totally read that entire paragraph before choosing this option)

I have a question that will impact my first route, do non DLC grinding enemies in Hoshido Lunatic work like awakening lunatic in which they only give 1 exp?

Lunatic Exp<Hard Exp<Normal Exp....uh, I think anyway. For Hoshido, the increase in enemies tends to compensate the reduced exp, not so sure about Nohr and Revelations that is

The EXP formula is basically that, you get 30 exp for killing at the same level, 10 for damaging an enemy at same level.

If the enemy is around 5 levels below you, you get 1 exp for killing, and 0 for damaging

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing Fire Emblem for 12 years. My favorite games in the series are the brutality of FE4 and 5. That being said, I liked Awakening and have already preordered the special edition of Fates.

Awakening did plenty of things wrong, but it also did plenty of things right. I do agree that the difficulty scaling was not handled well. Some of your other complaints are things that can be ignored (not the ideal solution, but still). Don't like the Est nature of all the children? Don't recruit them. Don't like that there's grinding DLC? Don't buy it. Don't want grinding in general? Don't do it. Think of them like the Tower in FE8. It's there to make the game much much easier, but is 100% optional. When I do hard mode runs of that game I do zero map battles and no tower/ruins whatsoever (until CC, that is). I actually liked the option to do map battles in Awakening. I didn't do them much during the actual game, but then after beating the final boss I went mad with Min/Maxing to make the best units possible. That's not for everyone, but I found it fun.

From what it sounds, you didn't care for Awakening. That's fine. So you probably won't love Hoshido. Nohr however sounds much more like older (I'm thinkging similar to FE7) games. I plan on playing Nohr first, then doing all the min/maxing in Hoshido. And that also doesn't include Revelations, which I really know nothing about at this point.

I chose option 2. Honestly, it all boils down to your own opinion -if you haven't played it yourself or seen any gameplays yet, it's a bit unfair to judge it based on what you've heard. Watch a few youtube videos and see what you think then.

Besides, it's likely that the localized version will be different than the Japanese one, so I'd definitely say wait until a good 1-2 months after it's release and you know what to expect if you don't want to have to return it after realizing you hate it or something xD.

Also I did a no-grind Lunatic Hoshido and IK run and it was fine, so I wouldn't worry about that.

(No grind as in the only maps I've played are like 1-3 children paralogues and the rest have been main chapters, I don't even do the side stuff)

Wow, I'm a little surprised by the amount of responses I got.

And yeah, I started to have problems when the enemies start getting max forged weapons. And my terrible hard mode experience was from a run I had dropped some time before, so that might have something to do with it.....

Even though I may hate myself for it, I'll probably get Conquest and attempt a no-grind hard mode run.

I guess I should also take back everything I said about FE ever being balanced. More than enough people have proved me wrong.

Their forges don't give the real bonuses that yours do. Like a +7 Thunder of theirs is only 10 extra mt. When it's supposed to give you 14 extra mt.

What's there to understand? Some people don't like the change in direction the series took, and now they are torn on whether to continue caring or not, simple as that.

Lol I hope you are not being serious. amiibo didn't do anything for FE's popularity, it was Awakening and Smash that helped the series.

amiibo might be popular in America, but it's nothing special in the other parts of the world.

Right.

It's rather cheesy to continue the series after putting nearly every popular character in the last game. I suppose that makes a great anniversary game! It's just that now since we got another game which they've practically moved on and that spotpass is rare in Fates(and more costly).

Lunatic Exp<Hard Exp<Normal Exp....uh, I think anyway. For Hoshido, the increase in enemies tends to compensate the reduced exp, not so sure about Nohr and Revelations that is

The EXP formula is basically that, you get 30 exp for killing at the same level, 10 for damaging an enemy at same level.

If the enemy is around 5 levels below you, you get 1 exp for killing, and 0 for damaging

Just a formula like in all other RPG's. That it's done by level!

I've been playing Fire Emblem for 12 years. My favorite games in the series are the brutality of FE4 and 5. That being said, I liked Awakening and have already preordered the special edition of Fates.

Awakening did plenty of things wrong, but it also did plenty of things right. I do agree that the difficulty scaling was not handled well. Some of your other complaints are things that can be ignored (not the ideal solution, but still). Don't like the Est nature of all the children? Don't recruit them. Don't like that there's grinding DLC? Don't buy it. Don't want grinding in general? Don't do it. Think of them like the Tower in FE8. It's there to make the game much much easier, but is 100% optional. When I do hard mode runs of that game I do zero map battles and no tower/ruins whatsoever (until CC, that is). I actually liked the option to do map battles in Awakening. I didn't do them much during the actual game, but then after beating the final boss I went mad with Min/Maxing to make the best units possible. That's not for everyone, but I found it fun.

From what it sounds, you didn't care for Awakening. That's fine. So you probably won't love Hoshido. Nohr however sounds much more like older (I'm thinkging similar to FE7) games. I plan on playing Nohr first, then doing all the min/maxing in Hoshido. And that also doesn't include Revelations, which I really know nothing about at this point.

Indeedy it is. Erika's route is actually more difficult as they throw in Gargoyles everywhere which they along with Morgalls are the biggest threats in the chapters since the Morgalls attacks Res, not Def. So they're dangerous since hardly none of your characters have good Res at that point of the game(The Phantom Temple/Ship(L'Arachel and Dozla). Both of these enemies can move far and can 2hko most units with no grinding. Amelia isn't a viable option as she needs to be paid attention to when facing any foe. Ewan can get pretty good kills with even a Fire Tome! As many monsters have low Res which makes farming EXP for him good!

Nohr is even more dangerous than even Thracia776. Even on normal it may require Phoenix for some players since this route is not for everybody. Which only should be touched on classic if you've played other games.

~Nohr is my life.

~Nohr is where it's at.

~Nohr is my home!

~The kingdom's inhabitants are my friends and family.

~Plus don't want to travel with total strangers.(Hoshido)

Edited by Princess_Elise

Just wait a while before making your decision. There's no shame in getting the game well after release date. If you don't give a crap about spoilers, then, by all means, look at playthrough videos.

The Birthright path would certainly not be for you so you'd probably want to stick with Conquest if you still want to get the game. Revelations, from what I've heard, has Conquest's varied map objectives and map difficulty, but it has Birthright's allowance for grinding.