Nohr Lunatic Planning

shed

So I just cleared hard with random pairings that I went off aesthetics since I can't really read japanese that well. But now, i'm starting a lunatic file and would like some feedback on what pairings are optimal, or at least effective.

My plans so far:

• trueblade MU(+str/-def or +spd/def, idk) and Felicia (class undecided) OR FeMui (same class/assets) and Joker if I decide to pair Felicia with Leo
  • Paladin Xander and Berserker Charlotte
  • Dark Knight Leo and either Felicia or Nyx
  • Berserker Arthur and Berserker/General Effie (changed by recommendation)
  • Hero Luna and Managarmr Flannel
  • Berserker Belka and General Benoit

Along with the pairings above, I would like to use Kaze or Zero, or even both, as mage killers, but have no idea who to pair them with or classes. I'll get all the children for experience, but i'm probably not going to invest in them because I'm focused more on clearing the game rather than pvp/postgame (nohr grinding sucks), so i'd like opinions on how to optimize the first generation. Any suggestions on how to improve my current pairs or finish up my remaining ones?

Edited by shed

I'm just wondering:

Why are you reclassing Flannel? IIRC, he has 80% HP/Str growth as a Managarmr (I know he has higher HP/Str growths as a Berserker, but 80/80 seems sufficient?), and Odd Cry & Four Fangs look like pretty awesome skills to me. If you're planning to go Berserker!Effie, wouldn't it be repetitive to have two Berserkers?

I'm just wondering:

Why are you reclassing Flannel? IIRC, he has 80% HP/Str growth as a Managarmr (I know he has higher HP/Str growths as a Berserker, but 80/80 seems sufficient?), and Odd Cry & Four Fangs look like pretty awesome skills to me. If you're planning to go Berserker!Effie, wouldn't it be repetitive to have two Berserkers?

I was going to grab the skills off managarmr then reclass to berserker for pairup bonuses. However, now that I think about it, that 1 strength probably won't matter too much in the long run and i'll probably just keep him in managarmr for better weapon ranks + saving a parallel seal. Fixed OP updating it

Edited by shed

Since you're not deploying children you may want to use both Suzukaze and Zero. They would want +Str for the offense boost. I personally paired Kaze with Berserker!Belka and Zero with Wyvern Lord!Camilla.

Zero may need to learn Pass for an easier clear of Endgame, or so I've heard.

Why do alot of people suggest Berserker Flannel/Velour anyway? I've heard of several people deciding to go with it, and was unsure how Berserkers were supposed to be so superior to merit a switch. Is it because of the slightly better stats? Weapons? Ranged attacks? Just wanted to know if anybody could provide reasoning, since I'm all for keeping them in their natural classes, and wanted to know if I'm missing out on anything.

Why do alot of people suggest Berserker Flannel/Velour anyway? I've heard of several people deciding to go with it, and was unsure how Berserkers were supposed to be so superior to merit a switch. Is it because of the slightly better stats? Weapons? Ranged attacks? Just wanted to know if anybody could provide reasoning, since I'm all for keeping them in their natural classes, and wanted to know if I'm missing out on anything.

Mostly what you mentioned, but it's honestly because of their skybreaking damage potential. A 20 crit bonus is nothing to scoff at, compared to Garous only getting 5 built-in crit on promotion. Having no ranged option kinda sucks too when it could be the deciding factor of a turn. Also the Great Club. Never forget the Great Club.

Berserkers are purely meant for hyperoffense, and when using one, you always want your enemy to die in a single round of combat. They should never be used as tanks however, even though they'll have super-high HP. -5 crit evade kinda sucks (-10 with Great Club equipped) when you already see 1-3%s on the enemy side under normal circumstances. In such case, Garous become a superior option for your team if you're in need of a strong unit that can function as a tank and Benoit isn't an option for whatever reason (or need more).

That's what I can think of right off the bat.

Edited by ItzMeeMario

Since you're not deploying children you may want to use both Suzukaze and Zero. They would want +Str for the offense boost. I personally paired Kaze with Berserker!Belka and Zero with Wyvern Lord!Camilla.

Zero may need to learn Pass for an easier clear of Endgame, or so I've heard.

Yeah I was leaning towards Camilla and Zero since that's what i used in Hard and it allowed Camilla to double consistently even up to endgame. Regarding children i was thinking of passing pass to eponine as well and pairing her with someone along with zero to act as taxis for a 2 turn endgame clear, but wasn't quite sure who else to use. What do you think of early promoting zero to get pass faster and start leveling up eponine earlier, leaving him as speed booster for camilla while investing in kaze as a primarily offensive unit?

Edited by shed

Mostly what you mentioned, but it's honestly because of their skybreaking damage potential. A 20 crit bonus is nothing to scoff at, compared to Garous only getting 5 built-in crit on promotion. Having no ranged option kinda sucks too when it could be the deciding factor of a turn. Also the Great Club. Never forget the Great Club.

Berserkers are purely meant for hyperoffense, and when using one, you always want your enemy to die in a single round of combat. They should never be used as tanks however, even though they'll have super-high HP. -5 crit evade kinda sucks (-10 with Great Club equipped) when you already see 1-3%s on the enemy side under normal circumstances. In such case, Garous become a superior option for your team if you're in need of a strong unit that can function as a tank and Benoit isn't an option for whatever reason (or need more).

I don't really see the Great Club as all that useful thanks to its accuracy.

I don't really see the Great Club as all that useful thanks to its accuracy.

Ah, but that's when Raven Strike comes in handy! And Ogre Strike on top of that. If you're the first one to attack, then they're pretty much dead. Especially handy for bosses and other situations where you can act first.

Ah, but that's when Raven Strike comes in handy! And Ogre Strike on top of that. If you're the first one to attack, then they're pretty much dead. Especially handy for bosses and other situations where you can act first.

But none of that is happening in Nohr since lack of those classes and grinding.

There isn't any real reason for Flannel or Velour to go Beserker main game Nohr since it isn't that much better than Garou/promoted Garou to justify the time spending with E-Axes or the arm scrolls used to bring them up.

Shephen said what I would've - basically, you're outta luck.

Shephen said what I would've - basically, you're outta luck.

Player Phase dependent skills that are any good are these...

-Flowing Strike

Benefits well with a +20 avoid weapon which you can even have that avoid in enemy phase and having 50 in Player! :D

A must for Nohr's path.

-Ogre Strike

Always beneficial as having better chance at critical strike especially stacking it with Sol, or Aether are really good!

-Diamond Strike

Pack this with Flowing Strike and a +20 avoid weapon (the Katana) and that's pretty broken.

I would say Mag strike, but naturally many of your units get good Res, so only good for those that don't!

Edited by Princess_Elise

Here's my planned team:

MU (Elite Ninja +Str/-Luck) and Brave Hero Felicia

Paladin Xander and Berserker Charlotte

Dark Knight Leon and Brave Hero Luna

Outlaw Zero and Strategist Elise

Wyvern Lord Camilla and Elite Ninja Kaze

Paladin Cyrus and Great Knight Effie

Dancer Songstress Azura

Seems like a pretty big team but I'm not going to train Charlotte and Luna. They come at 12 and 10 so I can just promote them for pair up bonuses. Only children I might use is Eponine because pass and Shigure because Staffing/Rally Speed. Shoutout to those 9 move Elise, Camilla and Cyrus.

Player Phase dependent skills that are any good are these...

-Flowing Strike

Benefits well with a +20 avoid weapon which you can even have that avoid in enemy phase and having 50 in Player! :D

A must for Nohr's path.

-Ogre Strike

Always beneficial as having better chance at critical strike especially stacking it with Sol, or Aether are really good!

-Diamond Strike

Pack this with Flowing Strike and a +20 avoid weapon (the Katana) and that's pretty broken.

I would say Mag strike, but naturally many of your units get good Res, so only good for those that don't!

There are only three weapons with +20 Avoid in the game, two of which are extremely weak (And I think both of THOSE require My Castle shenanigans too), and the other of which is an S rank (and is unavailable in Nohr anyways).

Ogre Strike is unavailable in Nohr.

See my first point. Also, you'd need Seal shenanigans to get those on the same unit.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

How would Pieri work as Kaze's S-rank? she gives +2 STR at S-Rank and Great Knight gives him good boosts as well. She starts at level 10 so I could immediately promote her and relegate her to a pairup bot.

People suggest Beserker!Velour for PvP, not for main game.

Charlotte has 35% Skl growth and that sucks for a Axe user. Flannel has 20%.... He really needs the +5/+8 Skl and 90 Hit from Beaststone/Beaststone+.

How would Pieri work as Kaze's S-rank? she gives +2 STR at S-Rank and Great Knight gives him good boosts as well. She starts at level 10 so I could immediately promote her and relegate her to a pairup bot.

+4 Str is just +4/+8 damage.

You can deal much more damage than it in Attack Stance.

We can't use Attack Stance all the times. Sometimes the adjacent units don't have enough power to deal significant damge due to weapon, or has low hit rate against the target enemy. When the situation calls for Guard Stance use, having appropriate bonus to raise your offence is still better than random.

We can't use Attack Stance all the times. Sometimes the adjacent units don't have enough power to deal significant damge due to weapon, or has low hit rate against the target enemy. When the situation calls for Guard Stance use, having appropriate bonus to raise your offence is still better than random.

Even if Pieri deal 0 damage with 0 hit rate while Kaze deals 18, using Attack Stance still results in more damage than +8: because you have one more unit to take one more action.

Switching another character's equipped weapon is still a thing in IF, so it is too hard to have no adjacent unit with good hit rate and some Atk.

What Great Knight!Pieri brings to Kaze in Guard Stance are +4 Def, +1 Res and shield gauge.

Shield gauge is really good for Kaze. He can double many enemies so half of their attacks are negated.

Edited by Tooru

My plans so far:

• trueblade MU(+str/-def or +spd/def, idk) and Felicia (class undecided)
  • Paladin Xander and Berserker Charlotte: Solid and recommended no matter the run through, but since Charlotte joins as a level 10, you're gonna want her to promote ASAP, since Xander is just around the corner, and he'll appreciate the STR/SPD the most in the army.
  • Dark Knight Leo and Sorcerer/adventurer Nyx depending on speed I need to double: Leon is too slow as a Dark Knight and going Sorcerer will lower his DEF and ruin his skill, making it hard to hit a lot of quick enemies. You don't want to gamble your hit rate so much here. He can go A rank adventurer Zero and S rank Sorceror Nyx, and that's about it. He can tank thankfully and will always hit hard so don't worry too much on those. But if he can't double, more magic is important, which makes Nyx the better offensive choice, not to mention S rank bonuses. Nyx isn't far off from promoting, so it's easy to promote her at level 10 just like Charlotte, since they make better supports for the royals than they do as units this time around, even more so for Nyx.
  • Managarmr Flannel and Berserker/General Effie: I don't think you're gonna want to wait until then to marry off Effie. She's one of those units you're gonna want to maximize as early as possible, so just marry her to Berserker!Harold for that Juicy STR boost which helps her personal. In Lunatic you can't afford to wait so make the most use out of it.

Shed in my little recommendations. Don't bother reclassing too much unless it's needed for certain characters, like the DLC classes or Great Knight Xander to pick up Luna at the last minute. Stat boosts are few with the exception of MAG and LUK, so don't be afraid to slap them on Leon to maximize his usefulness. The only character who wants them more might be Midoriko and Harold, but Harold's too busy being a supportive husband and you shouldn't focus on children units outside of grinding on their maps. The exception to this is recruiting the kids last minute and having their stats buffed immensely.

Invest on tonics a lot, and forge weapons when possible. Use the online feature to grind supports, a must. Cafeteria boosts should be used as well in conjunction. SPD and DEF dishes are always wanted.

If you use other characters, I recommend Luna or Berserker Belka/Flannel, Benoit/Pieri or Belka, and Zero/anyone who helps his offense or helps him take a hit (Camilla as a wyvern or berserker from Belka is pretty popular.) He'll want to be a bow knight but have time to gain Pass.

Without Zero, you're other option is Asura, who's not bad but he loses out to Zero for low growths. Being able to use the killer bow is nice, though, and berserker access helped me a ton.

Shed in my little recommendations. Don't bother reclassing too much unless it's needed for certain characters, like the DLC classes or Great Knight Xander to pick up Luna at the last minute. Stat boosts are few with the exception of MAG and LUK, so don't be afraid to slap them on Leon to maximize his usefulness. The only character who wants them more might be Midoriko and Harold, but Harold's too busy being a supportive husband and you shouldn't focus on children units outside of grinding on their maps. The exception to this is recruiting the kids last minute and having their stats buffed immensely.

Invest on tonics a lot, and forge weapons when possible. Use the online feature to grind supports, a must. Cafeteria boosts should be used as well in conjunction. SPD and DEF dishes are always wanted.

If you use other characters, I recommend Luna or Berserker Belka/Flannel, Benoit/Pieri or Belka, and Zero/anyone who helps his offense or helps him take a hit (Camilla as a wyvern or berserker from Belka is pretty popular.) He'll want to be a bow knight but have time to gain Pass.

Without Zero, you're other option is Asura, who's not bad but he loses out to Zero for low growths. Being able to use the killer bow is nice, though, and berserker access helped me a ton.

Thanks for the feedback, I think i'll end up marrying Effie off to Arthur from your advise, and give Luna to Flannel, and Camilla to Zero. On the topic of Leo, I was also considering Felicia, since maid gives pretty good overall boosts, and with cafeteria bonuses and a speed tonic, Leo at capped speed can double enemies even up to the very last chapters(I would switch to FeMui and marry Joker in this case). I don't have much data on Lunatic available, but I heard the stats were the same as Hard, with different skills. Chapter 27 Holy Lancers have 29 speed, and Leo with a statue boost (bringing his speed cap to 26) can double those with a Maid!Felicia support, tonic, and cafeteria boost. However, he loses 3 magic compared to if he was paired with Nyx. Do you think the tradeoff is worth it?

Edit: now that I think about it, a FeMui seems better for physical based MU's, since Joker gives better pairup boosts and can change to GK as a pairup bot

Edited by shed

You shouldn't expect Leo to grow any speed, never mind capping it. He can kill things much more reliably in Attack Stance.

oh yeah good point. My hard mode Leo was blessed in speed and capped it fairly early on, but i guess i shouldnt expect that in an average run.

No, Leon won't be able to double with a speed cap of 25, which is why he wants a speed oriented or magic wife. If he can't double, at least make it so he can one shot. 15 base speed is pretty meh, especially since he's in a slow class to begin with.

Felicia can substitute for Nyx if you want, but there are few people who want her as a wife outside of Odin and Zero, Zero being more physical and sharing the same classes, while Odin should be benched asap. The reason why is because mixed in with Leo's personal, he can deal massive damage. Either way, Felicia works just fine if you want that instead.

Edited by Duke of Dozel