How to do Vocal Effects?

Not, like, compression on vocals in songs, but like spoken vocal effects. You know how you can often tell if a character in an anime is thinking a line, or if the character is super evil? Or any other well-known effects that are kind of like that--how do you actually do those?

Generally through sound editing magic. Your question reminds me of the StarCraft Protoss voice sound effect. Here is a video on how to replicate it:

But for when a character is thinking something, a lot less magic is needed to convey the message - a common trick is to muffle the other sounds of the scene and then play the thought line at normal volume.

ommggg thank you that's actually one of the specific effects I've always wanted to know how to do XD

Okay that makes sense for the thinking, right, thanks! Though that seems like it would make it hard to do if you rarely have more than one sound going on at a time, which is unfortunate but I guess can be worked around in a lot of situations...