Time Management and Organizational tips? Got any?

ErrantDShepherd

...cause I damn well need some.

Best intentions only go so far...

...I would love to hear what helped some people here in terms of getting class stuff, or work stuff, or whatever done in the midst of a super busy schedule...

[spoiler=a lil about me?]I currently get about... One day off a week. Three upper level classes, in two days... Three days of work... Then Sundays are family day, so not really a day off at all.

I have a wife, and two small kids... I often get asked how I do it... Well z answer is... I dunno. I fly by the seat of my pants and improvise sometimes... I have all the best intentions... But I need to get my own personal stuff in order.

I want to be the guy that does it all right? The good guy... The good student... The good Dad... The good husband... The good employee... The good community dude... The good spriter as well?

Or actually, I wanna be great at those things... I wanna be EXCELLENT! 'Cause I believe I am capable of excellence, maybe that is arrogant... But I think I can really, do almost anything if I put my mind to it. :\

Anyways... I sabotage myself a lot, in not planning things properly, or taking on too much at once? ...so yeah... Any advice?

Music helps me study, noise really bothers me so having having my IPod on when I have to study or write a paper helps me focus on what I need to do. I also make myself do the stuff I need to do before I do something I want to do, that way I can have the things I need done finished and can have fun and relax when I want too.

Don't try to do everything at once.

Even if you think you should do all your tasks at once will leave you with more free time, you may end doing a half-assed job due to overwork and wanting to finish it quickly.

While you usually should't leave things for the next day, if it is feasible to leave something for later, you should leave it for he next day.

It's like trying to eat everything you like at once, you might enjoy it at first, but you'll end sick eventually.

Don't try to be the good dad, the good husband, the good student, the good employee at the same time. Be the good dad when you need to be a good dad, be a good stundent when you need to be a good student and so on.

You'll be suprised of how well you can do many things if you do them one at a time.

Of course you shouldn't leave everything for later, or you might end up with a worse problem.

By failing to plan, you plan to fail.

I use to-do lists to manage my time. I make a plan for my week on Sunday and aim to finish it by the end of the week. After a while, you can divide it up more (as in, this gets done Monday, these two on Tuesday, this one on Wednesday, etc.). I don't let myself get free time until the list is gone, or until I've ran out of hours in a day.

This has been my method for seven university semesters now and the number of times I've had to pull one of those infamous all-nighters is exactly zero.

I, as one who is terrible at organising things, have made a resolution : My phone is now "telling" me what to do and when to do it... More or less...

Since I want to do so many things in the same time, but I never want to do them and laze out and run short of time, stay late for home work, don't sleep, vicious circle, and it's always end up bad. So my plan is to make my phone ring for each event I have to prepare be it studies, cooking, chores... so I can force myself to do it. But TBH, I don't follow it much, but at least I improved a lot since before...

And you should try to put less pressure on yourself. I'm not in position to tell you that but I think that if you put your expectations too high, you will never reach them. Maybe you can try to make an achievement/exploit list so you can be proud of reaching every challenge you've done ! It both motivates you and make you remember of what you want to achieve and what you are about to achieve. I know it's pretty dumb and vain, but it'll make you keep a track of what you really want.

And I'd suggest you that being a good dad/husband/social guy is being natural. As I said before, if you want to put a mask to become what you want to be, or what others want you to be, you may put more pressure on yourself. I think your wife, child, and acquitances want you to live to the full, and don't intend to put more pressure on you... Seems like out of a roman, but you won't be the best if you try too hard being the best. Just give it your all.

And well my opinion is not the best here but I still wish you good luck with it !

By failing to plan, you plan to fail.

I use to-do lists to manage my time. I make a plan for my week on Sunday and aim to finish it by the end of the week. After a while, you can divide it up more (as in, this gets done Monday, these two on Tuesday, this one on Wednesday, etc.). I don't let myself get free time until the list is gone, or until I've ran out of hours in a day.

This has been my method for seven university semesters now and the number of times I've had to pull one of those infamous all-nighters is exactly zero.

This is pretty much how I made it through college (going full-time plus working on the side). I highly recommend weekly schedules such as "I'll work on A on Monday, B on Tuesday, Wednesday is a spillover day, etc.

Never had to do all-nighters, and staying up late was extremely rare.

Prioritize. There's times where I skip entire days of classes (because grad school rarely takes attendance anyway and I can always make up the material by reading the slides) to make major programming deadlines, and if you can't do everything at once then something will have to come before others. Figure out what fits your priorities the most -- in my case, making a major deadline is far more important than attending 2 classes when I'm a decent self-learner. Also, figure out what fits your mode of work the best. For example, for me, I like to marathon my programming instead of spreading it out, because it keeps my train of thought steady. So in the case where I skipped class to program, it was just me, sitting down for 4 days straight, in front of my desktop smacking away at Visual Studio. But I know I'd need that much time, which is why I allocated such time to do so.

I have a 20-hour/week part time job on top of 4 graduate level programming project-based computer science courses, so I know very well how it is like to have 0 free time. One small assignment can take about 12 hours to do and the profs don't really give you that much time orz

Edited by Thor Odinson