Playing this game for the first time.

Katie

Doing it on Easy because I'm a casual scrub who always plays on the easiest difficulty possible(at least on my first run, and only if there are no drawbacks). And the it's nowhere near as easy as I was led to believe. Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty easy. But there have been some tough parts, the defense chapters in particular standing out. I find you guys especially exaggerate the amount of BEXP and Gold you get. While BEXP is plentiful and units level up super fast, I still have to be a bit conservative with it lest I waste it all(and I've come close). And I've had chapters where I can't even afford a full forge, though weapons seem really cheap, luckily. Right now I'm on chapter 13: which is another defense map, and it's been hard like the other defend maps so far.

Here's my units:

Main team(units I'm definitely using permanently):

Ike, Level 20: Is it normal to have him level 20 at this point, or am I overusing him? Plan on A supporting him with Soren.

Zihark, Level 11: I think he's cool and I like myrms. If I end up having to bench one of him or Mia though, he's the one to be benched, because Mia has better stats rn.

Soren, Level 18: I like him, he seems to be the best Mage in the game, and I ship him with Ike, whom I will have him A support.

Titania, Level 13: I've definitely been overusing her, but what can I say, she's useful and I like her.

Brom, Level 9: I like his character and he's got the highest average speed of all the Generals in this game, so he's the one I'm using. Not to mention his Str and Def are still good, so he can still do an Armor's job.

Mist, Level 11: I like her more than Rhys, and she's the only unit besides Ike in Chapter 27, so I might as well use her. I also ship her with Boyd, whom she will A support. All her levels so far have been BEXP levels, because healers level up slowly.

Mia, Level 14: See Zihark. She's also been Strength blessed, and will probably not get benched if I end up benching a Myrm.

Boyd, Level 19: He's the only Fighter in the game, and very useful, and I also want that Boyd/Mist A support. Considering BEXPing him to promotion since he's so close.

Nephenee, Level 8: I like her character, and I ship her with Heather(who unfortunately isn't in this game). Plus it's nice to have a speedy, unptomoted, non-mounted, lance wielder. May give her a couple BEXP levels since she starts off kinda weak.

Jill, Level 8: She was useful in chapter 12 and I plan on A supporting her with Haar when I get him. I've been told she's one of, if not the, best fliers in this game.

Sothe, Level 1: I'm almost certainly BEXPing him several levels before attempting Chapter 13 again. Mainly using him cause I like him and for the RD Data Transfer. I doubt he'll end up RNG screwed, especially since I save abuse when BEXPing people so they don't get RNG screwed, at least in Str, Spd, and if they're a Mage or Healer, Mag.

Secondary units(units I've used quite a bit but will be benched if there isn't room for them):

Volke, Level 10: Don't get me wrong, he's cool and all, but Sothe doesn't charge me money and is mandatory in RD and thus will benefit more from a DT, unlike this guy who only shows up towards the end and usually isn't worth a slot on one's team. He makes a nice secondary Thief though, and actually promotes, so he and Sothe are both being used for now.

Rolf, Level 6: He gained quite a few levels last chapter finishing off Ravens, but has yet to gain speed, but I want to use him. Still, he'll probably get replaced by Astrid and maybe Shinon. I do want to try the TA at least once though.

Rhys, Level 7: Since getting Mist, he's mainly only been used in chapter where I split my party into groups, but I do want to try out Light Magic, which only he can use in this game. Believe it or not, I only BEXPed him once, and that was since he was close to a level-up.

Oscar, Level 19: He's been a main member of my team for a while, but he's sat out a few chapter due to lack of room for him. Like Boyd, he's so close to promotion I'm considering BEXPing him there already.

Benched or semi-benched units(units I've used for at most one chapter that they aren't forced in)

Lethe, Level 4: She's been used to recruit Zihark, will be used to recruit Stefan, and probably won't be used for much more. I like her character though.

Kieran, Level 13: He was helpful in Chapter 11, and may get used more, but he's only been used once so far. He's more likely to leave the bench than anyone else on it.

Marcia, Level 5: I like her, but Jill is better. She was a big help in beating Chapter 10 without getting spotted though.

Ilyana, Level 9: If I ever want another Mage, I may use her again, but for now, she can warm the bench.

Mordecai, Level 2: Hasn't seen use once.

Good team selection, Gatrie is probably a better choice than Brom (even now) once you get him back (I think you just did?). Sothe sucks infinitely badly in this game and can't promote, so you should definitely use Volke instead unless you are looking to give him transfers in RD (and even then it's probably not worth it). He's certainly not worth BEXPing up to standard over units like Marcia.

As for Ike being overleveled, that's pretty common on a first run through this game, especially on Easy mode where the game just throws EXP at you. For that reason I usually refrain from using Ike as much as possible after the first defense chapter to give that EXP to the rest of the team, although again on Easy mode this doesn't matter at all. He promotes at the end of Chapter 17, in case you don't know.

Gatrie >>>>> Brom

Seriously, Gatrie is considered one of the best Knights in Fire Emblem as a whole, if not the best. You can use Brom if you like, but Gatrie is infinitely better. I used an Occult scroll on him and he dominated the game with Ike. Shinon is good too, but his re-recruitment is going to be difficult.

Marcia is arguably even better than Jill.

Gatrie >>>>> Brom

Seriously, Gatrie is considered one of the best Knights in Fire Emblem as a whole, if not the best. You can use Brom if you like, but Gatrie is infinitely better. I used an Occult scroll on him and he dominated the game with Ike. Shinon is good too, but his re-recruitment is going to be difficult.

This isn't Radiant Dawn however, Gatrie still falls into the "low move, isn't superb enough to warrant it" trap, outside of a casual run that is.

I plan on data transferring Sothe. I'm using Volke too though for now, as having two thieves makes thief stuff take half the time. Sothe will probably get benched once he hits level 20 though, after which Volke will be my main Thief. And as for Brom over Gatrie, I like Brom better as a character. Gatrie may still get used though.

Oh and my Gatrie's apparently level 14. Don't remember what level Shinon was when he left though, I think like level 6 or something.

Edited by Matthewtheman

I plan on data transferring Sothe. I'm using Volke too though for now, as having two thieves makes thief stuff take half the time. Sothe will probably get benched once he hits level 20 though, after which Volke will be my main Thief. And as for Brom over Gatrie, I like Brom better as a character. Gatrie may still get used though.

Data Transferring, I gotcha. Blossom is worth keeping in that case of course.

This isn't Radiant Dawn however, Gatrie still falls into the "low move, isn't superb enough to warrant it" trap, outside of a casual run that is.

OP is doing a casual run, right? I mean I only remember a select few spectacular units in my first run of PoR, and Gatrie was one.

Gatrie is fine, but not that great in this game. In general, Paladins make generals obsolete in PoR.

Radiant Dawn is where he becomes amazing, and I usually give him boots and early seal so that his caps aren't a problem. And then he just roflstomps everything with handa xes.

Yeah, I'll probably use Gatrie in RD cause he's got dat 65% speed growth(while having good bases and actually being able to tank, unlike Meg). But he's not too useful in this one from what I can tell.