Just started TRS, a few questions

MCProductions

Well, this is technically my second attempt at a Tearring Saga run, but I got few questions anyway so I don't wind up screwed this time around.

1. Is it just me, or is weapon durability absurdly high in this game? I mean, a iron axe comes with 88 uses for crying out loud. Is the game just that long to justify so many uses for weapons, or does the game handle weapons similarly to FE4?

2. During my first run, when I got to Holmes route, I started letting that dragon girl roflstomp everything since I could grind EXP for everyone else in between battles. Is there a problem with this strategy lategame beyond stolen EXP?

3. I stopped my first run due to a glitch with the translation patch crashing the game. I've read that one could just switch to a Japanese version to get past that part, which is one of the two reasons I've started a second run. The other being Vestaria Saga and FE Fates hype Would returning to the translated rom after getting past Map 19 allow to keep playing the game in engrish past that point, or am I stuck with the Japanese version from chap. 19 onward?

Thanks in advance.

I don't recall any problems in Map 19, but I was able to switch between translated and unpatched versions fine when I played.

Edit: this was for the forge sidequest.

Edited by shinpichu

1. Is it just me, or is weapon durability absurdly high in this game? I mean, a iron axe comes with 88 uses for crying out loud. Is the game just that long to justify so many uses for weapons, or does the game handle weapons similarly to FE4?

2. During my first run, when I got to Holmes route, I started letting that dragon girl roflstomp everything since I could grind EXP for everyone else in between battles. Is there a problem with this strategy lategame beyond stolen EXP?

Thanks in advance.

1. Weapon durability is really variable and doesn't seem to make much sense. It is possible to treat weapons like in FE4 since you can obtain critical hits on them through the same methods. It is possible to repair your weapons through the rare Repair staves or the more common Repair Hammer, available in some shops for 8000 gold. Note that weapons with a star next to their name can only be repaired with the staves.

Another useful tidbit : be careful when you're about to get your 100th kill (+50 critical) on a weapon. If the star that pops up in the item description is pinkish red, this weapon is now cursed like a Devil weapon. If it's blue, it should be fine.

2. I'm think that the dragon's large breath (the 3x3 AoE attack) can hit your units if they're caught in it. Other than that, you'd probably just want to keep another staff user around since you're losing one in the transformation.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

With regards to letting Katri destroy everything and then leveling others through grinding out-of-chapter- it's possible, but boring. You have to grind a bunch, and Katri also has shitty move so chapters take longer too. Narron is basically invincible at twice the move anyways. The main problem is just making sure that Katri doesn't transform back in a shitty situation. Also, she won't be available forever so it might get you into bad habits for when you have to use everybody else? The game isn't really that hard though.

Thanks for the answers guys, I appreciate it.

I guess I'll just save Katri for an emergency screen nuke, and train everyone else

Thanks for the tidbit about weapon kill counts, I wasn't aware of that.

Another question, does the weapon triangle exist in this game? If it does, then the differences feel very minor.

I did not know those could be repaired at all. Are there any items that just can't be repaired?

I wish I could say, but perhaps the fact that FE8 blocked the Hammerne staff repairing the other copy you could get implied that you could do it in this game.

If you do get the Krisheen glitch working around chapter 30, you'd need to repair weapons only for the increased critical bonus. Considering that's probably at this point I obtained my second Repair Staff, this is probably why I didn't bother to test this theory. Besides, Holmes' route also blocks free travel around the map as soon as you start chapter 31.

Also IIRC you go get a kill mention in the arena in this game compared to FE4. The first easy instance where you can try this is in chapter 8, Roger's recruitment chapter, where you can conveniently buy Repair Hammers in the item shop nearby. With enough time and someone to use one of each weapon types available, you could have a +50 critical of every weapon available at this point, minus personal weapons like the Rapier and Shramm.

Edited by Woodshooter