Coby's thread of portraits.

CobyTheGoober

So I've been spriting for a little bit, and there is some stuff I wanna present.

Stuff for Fooker Emblem.

yjScy3q.png

Stuff I made for other cool peeps.

heyXtgS.png

And another thing.

rtOLUKq.png

Critique and tips are very much appreciated. Especially tips on how to sprite better hair. Cuz that is what I struggle most with Rn.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most common thing I see with these sprites is that quite a few of them have hair which are at different angles than the head. For example,

XchHeIa.png

These two fellows. Franz' head is tilted a little bit downward, but the sprite you used for the hair is perfectly straight. With the second guy, the villager you used for the hair was facing the screen a little more than your current head, which is almost facing sideways.

Also, your first guy--the one with green armor/black hair on the line above the ones I screenshotted--has eyes that are...strange. His near eye looks like he has it half-shut in pain or something. I like the armor, but the far pauldron is a bit pillow shaded. I also think it needs to be shaded more near the chestplate. Remember, the light source is to the upper right, so you will need to shade accordingly. Might I suggest studying some of the original sprites for shading?

I wish I was an expert spriter and could give you more advanced spriting techniques, but I am unfortunately not that great at spriting myself. I know the basics, but that's about it lol.

I quite like your splices here and the colors you've chosen. I'm particularly fond of the armor, too.

One thing I noticed is that your character's heads are a bit flat at the top. If you divide the head as seen below into the usual proportions, you can see that the hair barely touches the top, making the head look a bit flatter than it usually should, if you get what I mean. Just make the hair puffier where the green arrow is and it should look a bit better. Also, the eyes seem a bit too high. Maybe move them down a few pixels. I hope this helps.

CizRnut.png

You have a lot of mugs with locks of hair between the eyes. Not exactly a bad thing, but it looks like you change the spacing of the eyes to fit the hair instead of changing the thickness of the hair to match the eyes.

Also another thing to note: I think you should play around with colors more. Your darkest shades seem to blend in with the dark purple lines, making many edges look really thick.

Here are a few annotations and things I've noticed:

c9ee28acda.png

1. His head is really flat here, looks a bit awkward.
2. This is what I meant by dark colors blending in with the dark purple shade.
3. His face uses an extra color on one half of the outline.
4. Green leftover pixels
5. Different outline, again.
6. The darkest hair shade isn't dark enough, in my opinion. It leads to the ear looking pasted on top of the hair.

Touch them up a bit, you certainly have the potential.

So for the first section of portraits, I fixed them up a bit.

tp2KYnz.png

1: Made the shades darker.

2: tried to angle the hair + changed the outline.

3: Left eye is a it more open, and the right side of the head is less flat.

4: Changed the hair shade to match the guy on the left, and brought the eyes down a bit.

5: added an outline.

The lilac haired girl and the boy in the lower mid-section (as well as the girl next to him) of the second spoiler are the best looking of your roster. They look good to me, the rest of them have eye issues or their heads look too small.

Edited by Rosemary

The lilac haired girl and the boy in the lower mid-section (as well as the girl next to him) of the second spoiler are the best looking of your roster. They look good to me, the rest of them have eye issues or their heads look too small.

. . .yeah, "issues". But it would help a lot if you list WHAT those issues are, because I think TC sort-of needs that kind of guidance. For example. . .

- Green armor dude has a serious perspective problem on the shoulder facing us. If you check out the GBA mugs (and beyond), you'll notice that shoulder pads/spikes aren't symmetrical unless the mug is directly facing us. Since green armor dude's face and chest are facing somewhere off to the left, the shoulder should be adjusted accordingly. How? Reference the other GBA stuff, I can't customize to save my life.

- Sir Pink Shirt either has a head that's a wee bit too small or shoulders that are too narrow. Not sure how big he's supposed to be, so that's your call.

- Headband Guy's hair is pillow shaded like crazy. I'd probably stick to splicing his hair, instead of customizing it. Hell, plop Matthew's hair on him as a placeholder or something.

tl;dr - I think you should stick to splicing for the initial stages of your hack, as the bottom row is much cleaner than the top. Practice makes perfect, so keep at it!

Edited by eclipse

@Eclipse

I think that sir pink shirt needs bigger shoulders.

I was never satisfied with his hair to begin with, so I was thinking of replacing it with a splice too.

The green armor guy was an ambitious attempt at full customs, so I expected to hear as such.

Thanks so much for the critique. I`ll try my best to make them look better.

Now that I look at it... I'm very not satisfied with the shoulder plates of the third guy on the top row to the right.

They look like turtle shells, to be honest, and his near eye still looks like he's closing it a little. (As if he's wincing or something) Try splicing on another eye?

The eyes on most of these still look a bit...awkward. However, you've greatly improved their head shapes, for the most part.

The first guy on the top left still has a flat head at the top, and there's a random floating pixel between him and the next guy.

The brown-haired fellow on the bottom left needs to have his bangs on the left side pushed --> a bit, IMO. They're sticking out a bit too far, and it's...kind of awkward.

I'm not the best at neck shading, but I think the Franz-looking dude on bottom right needs to have less shading under his chin.

The guy in the top-middle row has eyes that are too far apart. I think you need to move the near one <- .

(If anyone better than me thinks otherwise, please do correct me.)

The most glaring thing I see wrong with this is that the far side of the face is only shaded at the bottom half. At this angle, the whole far side of the face needs shading. You also need to shade around the strand of hair going down by his ear--both the face and the ear itself lacks shading.

Yeah, stick with the spliced shoulder pads on green dude for now. At least the perspective is better.

Now, other stuff:

- Sir Pink Shirt's face irks me like crazy. The angle makes me feel like the focal point is his cheek.

- Gray Armor Guy's stray lock is so close to his eye that it's kind of hard to tell them apart.

- Green Dude's neck is really, REALLY long.

I like the splices a lot better.

Getting there. The far pads are still a little confusing on both. The red guy has a tiny and skinny head, but the depth is alright. The green guy's head has no space for his brain-- he needs more depth in the back. Both of their mouths and ears are falling off their faces as well (though, the red guy has a good height positioned ear). Reference off of official sprites to get better proportions (except for Lute-- her ear is on her cheek...)

Getting better. The green guy has an odd hairline atm though. Like it looks as if someone took a shaver to his hair on the right side near the forehead... Like, it doesn't feel the right side of the hair is following the scalp of a younger man?

This would be the general way a hairline follows?

[spoiler=large image]1372115064806.jpg

Yours makes me think balding?

andre_agassi_baldstyle.jpg

Edited by ErrantShepherd